What's new

Some Buttons and a Brooch?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know most of these are just flat buttons but I was interested in what Y'all could tell me about the top three and bottom two. I apologise for not putting a coin in the picture for size. The top three are a little larger than a quarter. The bottom two are two piece and about the size of a penny.
I think the last piece may be a brooch. It looks like there was an ear on each end that a small chain might have attached to.
 

Attachments

  • old buttons 1.webp
    old buttons 1.webp
    221.7 KB · Views: 198
  • old buttons 2.webp
    old buttons 2.webp
    217.6 KB · Views: 181
  • flower 2 front.webp
    flower 2 front.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 195
  • flower 2 back.webp
    flower 2 back.webp
    56.4 KB · Views: 185
  • flower 1 front.webp
    flower 1 front.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 196
  • flower 1 back.webp
    flower 1 back.webp
    122.7 KB · Views: 200
  • broke button.webp
    broke button.webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 191
  • brooch 1.webp
    brooch 1.webp
    236.5 KB · Views: 183
  • brooch 2.webp
    brooch 2.webp
    251.5 KB · Views: 175
The top three are made out of a shiny material called Tombac--and they date c.1790s.

The bottom left one is old--and it is a cuff button. The bottom right, with its tin back, is probably 1920s-ish.

Read my "How to Clean Buttons" thread in the "Cleaning and Preservation Section of the forum for more information and some cleaning tips:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html



-Buck
 
Upvote 0
Buck,
Thanks for the info. I assume the old cuff button is civilian.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
Buck,
Thanks for the info. I assume the old cuff button is civilian.

Yes, the old one is mid-1800s give-or-take a decade, and it is civilian.


-Buck
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom