What's new

some kind of grinding stone

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,025
Reaction score
9,213
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...or just what? Found when already broken, and I know it is a something, just not sure what....
 

Attachments

  • DSC01664.webp
    DSC01664.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC01665.webp
    DSC01665.webp
    13 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01666.webp
    DSC01666.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
Looks like a possible mano. Nice Find!
 
Do you think it could be a ground and polished celt? Just saying this because that's what it would be called in Florida.
 
Last edited:
From the photo..looks like the end he is NOT holding or its not finished
 
for it to be a unfinished celt . means that it was started and not finished.
but i see no man made work done to this stone at all.
no grinding,no picking ,no shaping at all
not trying to be mean or a dick. i just don't see it.
to me its just a big stone
 
It is really hard to say just looking at the photo, I was just going by the shape and the smoothness of it.
 
we need some better pictures of the bit end,and some close ups of the skin on the stone
if it worked than mostly it was going to be something.
i agree the pics needs to be lot better
 
It lays pretty flat on one side (right side picture) and seems too big for a celt. I am thinking mano. I have no doubt it is an artifact based on where it was found. It's shape doesn't suggest natural to me and its smoothness is artificial. Here is the back end...pretty unremarkable...
 

Attachments

  • DSC01667.webp
    DSC01667.webp
    20 KB · Views: 137
From the photos, I'd say a celt. If I found that, that's what I would call it. Too bad it's broken but even so, it is still a nice find!:icon_thumright:
 
From the photos, I'd say a celt. If I found that, that's what I would call it. Too bad it's broken but even so, it is still a nice find!:icon_thumright:

a celt used for what?
 
It was like a household-ish tool for chopping, cutting, etc..... Google them
 
....celt it is....I googled it and found plenty of examples, especially this one,

Nice Shape Ancient Stone Indian CELT Artifact ILL | eBay

notice the flat bottom of the fourth picture and the shape of the nose....nearly an exact match...big too. I still can't imagine such a big awkward thing would be hafted.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have pieces just like this one. They were littering the ground, and I stuffed my pockets until I had to manually hold my pants up. I had found quite a few points at the site, and just knew they were artifacts.(some really could be) at my spot,loggers had cleared the land, and had to plow through an old mound that rail road tracks were on years ago, to make an entrance ! If you found it by an old rail road, I say they are rail road rocks. Here are a few I found, for comparison.

image-612765246.webp



image-3946134873.webp

Like I said earlier, this old rail road bed does hold nice artifacts. It could be a Celt. The dirt that was piled on each side of their entrance held nice points. Here is one

image-2504712863.webp

Right where I found it.
 
Sweet point, we find a few like that near us out on the bay, what style?
 
natchitoches said:
for it to be a unfinished celt . means that it was started and not finished.
but i see no man made work done to this stone at all.
no grinding,no picking ,no shaping at all
not trying to be mean or a dick. i just don't see it.
to me its just a big stone

Wouldn't the polish be the last step in making a polished Celt? I too say just a stone. However, the stone looks polished (presumably by nature) if an unfinished Celt, could or would it be polished?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom