Some of my basic field equipment

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
This is just some photos of my basic field equipment, and where I got some of it.

1. A short machetti I got at a sports shop, that saved me a lot of trouble
on a steep climb; instead of having to work my way around things, I could just chop them out of the way. The scoop is the second one I purchased, the first one was a mistake, made out of metal. After setting the detector off constantly, I decided I'd better get something different before I went crazier than I already am.

2. Pocket magnifier that I found cheap at a hardware store.

3. This is a belt, and a holder for my pick. The belt, and the pickholder are actually from Home Depot, from the electricians section, the pick from the gardening section. Note the cloth on the pickholder . . . that is to dampen the sound, preventing the click, click, click of the pick as I walk, I like to hear what is going on around me while I am out there. In the inserted photo, the cheapest sweat band you'll find. I learned to make it when I was cycling, just take an old T-shirt and cut off the bottom of it, double it, it usually fits right like that, if not just tie a knot.

4. Defence department . . . I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Caliber. I wanted something that will do some damage. Shoots nice, they told me it would kick like a mule when I got the ammo . . . but I shoot it one-handed, no problem. Why did I get a revolver? Because I do not want to trash the environment . . . I'm not going to be throwing shells left and right when I shoot.

5. Last thing an attacking bear will see . . . . :laughing7:

Attachments

• Short-Machetti-and-Scoop.jpg
    Short-Machetti-and-Scoop.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Pocket-Magnifier.jpg
    Pocket-Magnifier.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 436
  • Pick.jpg
    Pick.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 441
  • Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-44-Ca.jpg
    Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-44-Ca.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Last-Thing- Attacking-Bear -Will-See.jpg
    Last-Thing- Attacking-Bear -Will-See.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 432

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!
Glad to see you do carry a substantial means of protection.

I thought about contacting you when you mentioned your hike up Sugar Loaf, and warning you about the need to be armed in the Arizona wilderness these days. I have seen some pretty rough characters in the Sugar Loaf area in the past couple years. The Arizona wilderness is no longer a safe place and one needs to have sufficient firepower so as to act as a deterrent. I like the .44, but if it were me I would also carry a short barreled, pistol gripped, riot shotgun slung over my back, ................ but that's just me.

HH and stay safe.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
good that you are concerned about being able to hear what is going on around you but you MUST listen iwas walking along looking for a humming bird when i finally heard the rattles it was the third rattle when i looked down the snake was coiled an raring back to strike about a foot from my right leg luckily i had my .45 auto in my right hand because of the jaguar in the area so i got off EIGHT rounds, my children thought my gun had went full auto they were so close together i only hit it with two, the first when i played it back in my mind i saw it fly back with the first shot and then bounce with the secound one the rest just made BIG holes in the ground so i say again it is real important to be aware out there.
Blackfoot

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking pistol. I have one in stainless steel. I'd advise practicing with .44 Special ammo., and if it's the two legged varmint you are worried about the old .44 special is about as good as it can get, and it has relatively mild recoil until you get use to the heavier .44 mag recoil. I am just wondering how you are coing to carry all that weight in bear country? That 2 lb. gun will weigh about a hundred pounds in an hour of so of walking. I've carried mine long enough to know. Also, if you must carry against a grizzly, a heavy, hard, flat nose. cast lead bullet is your best bet. You will need all the penetration you can get and then it will be iffy on a grizz. If you have a hanloading friend he should be able to fix you up. I load a 300 gr bullet of that description at about 1200 fps. and tested it on an old aboandoned house. It went in one side, through several plaster walls and out the other side! A jacketed soft point bullet won't do that. And you should note that most fishing guides in grizz country carry a pump action 12 guage with slugs. They will knock a big bear on his butt. But other than that I love your belt for carrying your gear. Monty

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Thanks, actually, I decided to practice with full load . . . . it's more expensive to do so, but I know how important it is to know your gun and know what to expect from it. I have never had any problems with recoil on a gun, people tell me about it, but it has not ever been a problem for me, including shotguns.
As for carrying equipment, it has not been a problem, last weekend I had it all, save the machetti, and I hiked about 12 miles. It is important to stop if you start getting tired, and take a break. I use to run long distance, I am no slouch in the field. If someone lugged a shotgun and a metal detector at the same time they'd be lucky to be able to shoot at all if they met a bear. :tongue3:

Best one can do is trust in ones star and metal in the field and leave it at that, there are no guarantees in life.

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!
Bear are not a problem in Arizona. I have hunted and fished extensively in this state for over 45 years and have only seen one Bear. Cats I have seen many times, but they are generally shy and mind their own business ( one did track an uncle of mine up in norther Arizona once, but that was an unusual situation).

No, the main danger in the Arizona outdoors these days walks on two feet and looks like you and I. They prey on the unarmed and would really like to have what you have, ............... and they will take it. A few months back I was setting up targets out in the desert, waiting for my sons to arrive. I had just set up 4 targets and was walking back to my vehicle when a truck full of characters pulled up. All six got out, three with AK assult rifles, I was wearing my Glock 19, and had carried my AR with me to the target stands.

These clowns in broken English proceeded to tell me that they liked to shoot there, that was their favorite spot. I nicely explained that that was fine, but they were going to be shooting somewhere else that day, as I was there and had no intentions of moving. One guy asked me if I thought I could take on all of them, and I kindly explained that "No, ............ but that truck coming up the road about a 1/4 mile away (they turned to see my son's truck coming) with my LEO sons in it would surely turn the tide in my favor." Thank GOD they never thought about it, but scurried back to their truck and left. I have never been so glad to see my sons.

In the past few years I have talked to many many hunters and fishermen in Arizona who have had their vehicles or camps broken into while they were out hunting, and they take everything.

It is no longer safe out there guys, ........ just be alert, prepared, and careful.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
It never was, nor will it ever be safe out there. That danger is part of the package whether you are
out there or in the city. I myself don't see it as a wise practice to dwell on it, I'll cross that bridge
when I come to it. For the most part, I find people I meet are decent. I go to have fun and
that is exactly what I do. If I spent my time dwelling on the negative, I may as well be wishing
for it. If something bad happens, that's the breaks, life has no guarentees. That's part of the
package too.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My little buddies on dangerous turf are Smith and Wesson. They come as a .45 ACP New Chief Special. Small, light weight, accurate and deadly. I don't take them with me all the time but if there is a remote possibility of a problem I do. As an example I sometimes hunt in an area where Gang Bangers ply their dope trade. I go on Sunday morning when they are all in church :laughing9:. Or more likely strung out and hung over and don't get up until noon. By then I have come and gone and so far never a bother. But I would never go there without my pals along. I reiterate, the .44 Mag is too heavy for me to carry around with all my gear, so he stays at home most of the time. I don't have bears and the little .45 will handle anything I am likely to encounter. The little chief will slip nicely into the area on my back where a plumber's crack is likely to occur and I hardly notice it there. In fact I check often to make sure it is there. Monty

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taurus Judge .....what was that old GTO commercial , look out here comes da judge lol sorry got sidetrack there a second ,this makes for a great desert pack gun , .45 long colt or 410. shot gun....drop 2 410. shells in an stuff the rest with .45LC if you get to a place where you have to shoot a snake you got a real nice snake shot if its bigger you can take care of that to .

Attachments

• 44-410L1side.jpg
    44-410L1side.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 334

j.n.

Dec 31, 2007
phoenix az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had people come onto my claim and for the most part the were average Joe Blows and nice people. Now snakes are different. I was sitting at a cut off barrel that we pan in and sitting there I watched as three foot + rattle snake crawl from some stored equipment to the barrel, almost over my foot, then behind the barrel. I have also seen snakes crawl under trucks to keep out of the sun.

If you want to cover all bases put the first three cartridges with snake load and the rest with man loads. There are many dangerous things from small insects to mountain lions, also if you are on multi-use land you might encounter a herd of cattle and a riled mommy cow or an irate herd bull, they are not what I like to deal with.

jim hamrick

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
The West has never really been a safe place to tramp around in; one of the safest things you can bring (besides the right firearm) is a friend :icon_thumright:

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
Skywola said:
Why did I get a revolver? Because I do not want to trash the environment . . . I'm not going to be throwing shells left and right when I shoot.

Any true marksmen/hunter always picks up what he drops, though there are alot of wanna-bes out there you just dont care, sad.
I always pick up my shells where ever I shoot, its a very good habit. :icon_thumleft:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Sky!
I like the Ruger. My sidearm of choice is the Sig Sauer or the 1911A1. I can't fault your choice in gun but would like to make a sincere suggestion in the method of carry. Get a belt that can be looped into your pant loops, securing the pistol in place. If not, a stumble or fall will cause the weapon to shift... (it will not discharge) possibly causing frontal bruising (OUCH) or more permanent, around to the lower back, cracking or breaking lower vertebrae. Also. consider a crossdraw. The gun can then be grasped with both the strong hand or weak hand (and does not have to be removed while driving the open ranges). And REMEMBER, he who hits the target FIRST is the winner. PRACTICE! TTC

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Strange as it may sound, my metal detector requires a belt, (a TDI), and I find it most comfortable to use a seperate belt for the TDI. It works good that way and is comfortable. Crossdraw though is definately more comfortable, as you stated.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used that Taurus 410 on a couple of rattlers last Oct. in the brads one was a green Mohave with no rattle. That one scared us silent but deadly. Took them up to Cleator and they made Chili with them. Hard to find 45 hot loads. up here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread