Some of my best field finds

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20180513_132416.jpg
I had a minute or two so I thought I'd post some of my best field finds. A lot of these were found in Coshocton County, Oh. near the Kokosing River. I am assuming the blade is Woodland since the points are and it was a surface find. A couple seem to be smaller versions of Archaic points as well. Quite a few have nice serrations.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20180528_163030_Burst01.jpg
These are pretty nice as well. I got them from a friend who says they were found in W. Virginia. on his family farm. Sad story often heard is there were boxes of other artifacts of all types including a small clay figurine, pipes, gorgets, etc. that no one can locate. Probably sold or worse, lost.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety and display. I like the serrated ones as well.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1601531
I had a minute or two so I thought I'd post some of my best field finds. A lot of these were found in Coshocton County, Oh. near the Kokosing River. I am assuming the blade is Woodland since the points are and it was a surface find. A couple seem to be smaller versions of Archaic points as well. Quite a few have nice serrations.

Actually, it looks like the bulk of those are Archaic related. The black piece in the center looks beveled and could be a Thebes. Lots of Palmers and those are Archaic. Looks like a Big Sandy in there too. I do see some Woodland pieces so the Blade could be either. Any beveling on the Blade?

Killers finds man. That is a great site.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, the 3 bigger blades in the middle are all beveled, so I was thinking older than Woodland. The white Hardin based looking point is not beveled. There is a Big Sandy looking one on the left and if I remember my brother found it along the Scioto. It's been almost 50yrs ago on these finds. The knife is not beveled and was right on top of the dirt washed out by rain. A lot of walking on these! I had a couple of cigar boxes full of scruggy looking stuff from these walks....no clue where they are. Thanks for your insight Grim, I just assumed since they were surface finds most would be Woodland.

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Couple of outstanding frames! Any idea of county for family farm of the WV pieces? Mason? The resolution isn't the best but some of those look archaic to me.

It is crazy to think of all the artifacts that have been tossed, broken, lost etc... an old timer told me that while waiting for the ferry to cross the Kanawha from Winfield they would skip stones. The best ones, he said, were "Indian scrapers, the arrowheads turned too much but the scrapers could damn near cross the river!"

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of outstanding frames! Any idea of county for family farm of the WV pieces? Mason? The resolution isn't the best but some of those look archaic to me.

It is crazy to think of all the artifacts that have been tossed, broken, lost etc... an old timer told me that while waiting for the ferry to cross the Kanawha from Winfield they would skip stones. The best ones, he said, were "Indian scrapers, the arrowheads turned too much but the scrapers could damn near cross the river!"

"D'OH!" "...the arrowheads turned too much..." Seriously?? I kind of wish that I could "unlike" that post. That breaks my heart!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I remember him saying it was near the Ohio River so not too far into W.Va. I'd ask him but I haven't seen him in years. Shame all the good people we lose track of as the years roll by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread