Something to think about before you get in the water.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Saw this today and I thought I'd pass it on.

"The Saturday before Easter, two colleagues, Shelly Darling, 34, and Elizabeth Whipple, 41, visited Lake Tuscaloosa to soak up the sun on a family dock. A few hours later, family members discovered the women's possessions, but saw no sign of the Alabama sunbathers. They called the police and after a search, their bodies were found in the lake. When recovering them, a rescuer felt a jolt of electricity.
According to AL.com, the autopsies revealed the two women died of electric shock drowning, a lesser known cause of drowning.
Electric shock drowning happens when electricity from a dock, boat, pool, hot tub or marina seeps into the water and electrifies it. As swimmers enter the water the electricity paralyzes their muscles, causing them to drown. What's more, trying to rescue someone experiencing electric shock drowning remains difficult because anyone entering the water receives a disabling stun.
While many people remain unaware of electric shock drowning, Jimmy Johnson learned more about it than he ever wanted. Last year, his 15-year-old daughter, Carmen, died when she was swimming in a lake near the family dock, which was trickling electricity into the water.
"If I would have known this could happen, or heard about it before — I am not sure if this would have happened to my daughter," he told TODAY.
Since then, he's worked to increase awareness surrounding electric shock drowning.
"This happens a lot more than people think," he said. "There is no telling how many drownings there are caused by electric shock drowning."

Here's the link:'Deadly combination': 2 Alabama women die of electric shock drowning

Never even realized this before. Stay Safe!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the post, I'd never considered this.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
By the way, this can happen in swimming pools as well. Caused by a frayed pool light cord or lack of a GFI in the electrical circuit or circuits near the pool . Aren't docks required to have a GFI in the electrical circuit? It's code now in kitchens and bathrooms near water.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happened down here about 10 years ago. Kid jumped off the dock, got zapped... his buddy jumped in to help him... he's dead too.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was also a guy in Cape Coral, about 5 years ago, who had some bad luck... he bought a jacuzzi from a guy off Craigslist, set it all up himself, got the water all nice and warm and good to go... gets his girlfriend to join him.... burns a fattie, then his shoddy wiring did them both in.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am constantly aware of this. There was a big problem of military men and women being electrocuted while showering in the tent cities during the Iraq excursions. Building Contractors dropping the ball.

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of it either. Thanks for sharing. Would it not stun or kill the fish too? Maybe that could be one way of knowing the water was electrified before wadingbor jumping in

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I am constantly aware of this. There was a big problem of military men and women being electrocuted while showering in the tent cities during the Iraq excursions. Building Contractors dropping the ball.

And why don't we hear more about that?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was in Iraq when a ew of these happened - the contractor, KBR,got their ass kicked but paid their way out of it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DigitalDirt

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has happened several times at the Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horrible, a good friend didn't know what was wrong with his dog and jumped in to save him. It couldn't have happens to a kinder person, and dog. You never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread