What's new

Spanish siilver, CW Button, Indian heads and Misc.

Merf

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
3,766
Reaction score
2,276
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Swinging , sweating, dirt fishers.
I spent a couple of hot afternoons hunting a new spot in a new field.
The house showed on an 1870 platt map but not on one from 1892.
It took me a couple of tries and about two hours to find the iron pattern but it was well worth the effort.
When I found the 1820 2 real I fist thought it was a token. I brushed it off and saw the date and design.
Man what a rush---I never expected to find old Spanish silver here in Illinois.
The CW Eagle button, Indian heads, and Flat button were icing on the cake.
Thanks for looking and best luck to all, Merf
 

Attachments

  • Finds 6-24-08 012.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 012.webp
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Finds 6-24-08 017.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 017.webp
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,327
  • Finds 6-24-08 016.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 016.webp
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,326
  • Finds 6-24-08 007.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 007.webp
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,348
  • Finds 6-24-08 006.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 006.webp
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,344
  • Finds 6-24-08 005.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 005.webp
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,362
  • Finds 6-24-08 001.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 001.webp
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Finds 6-24-08 011.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 011.webp
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Finds 6-24-08 010.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 010.webp
    179.3 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Finds 6-24-08 008.webp
    Finds 6-24-08 008.webp
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,380
Upvote 0
beautiful coin. I have dug 1 spanish 1/2 reale and nothing compares to it, not even gold. Nice job
 
Real nice spanish silver! :thumbsup:
 
all nice finds... but the old silver is AWESOME !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations on the two Reale :icon_sunny: what is the mint mark on it ??? if you don,t mind me asking , the only one I know is the mexico mint mark .......... TIA and HH to you .



Mac
 
You gotta slow down Merf.....I can hardly keep up with you these day's :o Look's like there maybe a couple CW piece's in there.Congratulation's on the Spanish Silver and the CW button,both are awesome :thumbsup:
 
Awesome finds and pics Merf! Spanish silver is pretty rare around our parts!!!
 
I bet that made your day buddy. Since you found some spanish silver here in IL...maybe the silver gods can send one my way :D
 
:occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:
Farmer Merf,
You are unbelievable!!! Congrats on your first Spanish silver. A fantastic find for sure. :icon_king:
Your silver, copper, and relic crop has really done well this year in that field. :wink:
All I ask is that you stay out of Northern Indiana until I get back there in August. ;D
YOU are the Man!!!
-Doug-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-007S.webp
    MVC-007S.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 709
Nice job on the research, Love that 2 Reale coin!
 
You did it again Merf..great scores, especially the silver. Congrats to you :thumbsup:

Nat
 
SoreKneesDayton said:
Merf I am jealous. Looks like a great field. Keep going!

SKD



Thanks SKD :thumbsup:




Derek752 said:
:headbang: :occasion14: :blob9: :blob9: :blob9: :blob9: :blob9: :blob9: :occasion14: :headbang:

Congrats Merf :hello2: :notworthy: :hello2: 1820 Spanish wilver :director: Merf ROCKS !!

AWESOME 2 Reale !!

Derek :icon_biggrin:



Thanks Derek :thumbsup:





oddcoins said:
AWESOME TREASURES MAN!! WTG!!!




Thanks OC :thumbsup:





ugotit22 said:
beautiful coin. I have dug 1 spanish 1/2 reale and nothing compares to it, not even gold. Nice job









Thanks Ugotit :thumbsup: It was a thrill for sure.






Thanks Allen :thumbsup: Spector :thumbsup: and Green1 :thumbsup:






Mac232 said:
Congratulations on the two Reale :icon_sunny: what is the mint mark on it ??? if you don,t mind me asking , the only one I know is the mexico mint mark .......... TIA and HH to you .



Mac






Thanks Mac :thumbsup: I don't know where to look for the mint mark.
Any help IDing it is appreciated.





inneedoftherapy said:
nice finds there what is the hook thing in the last picture just found one of those myself and it has me stumped.



Thanks Inneedof :thumbsup:--- I don't know what it is.
 
sfinder said:
Great finds, and thank you for sharing them with us.


Thanks Sfinder :thumbsup:
 
civilman1 said:
You gotta slow down Merf.....I can hardly keep up with you these day's :o Look's like there maybe a couple CW piece's in there.Congratulation's on the Spanish Silver and the CW button,both are awesome :thumbsup:



Thanks CMan-----Lots of choice spots here in the midwest.
When you figure that the average farm was 60 acres back in the 1800s and now is maybe 600 acres.
There are a lot of spots where farmhouses once stood that are plowed field now.

WeaponsUSMC mentioned that one of the hooks might be a sword hanger.
What do you think? TIA- Merf
 

Attachments

  • Finds 6-27-08 003.webp
    Finds 6-27-08 003.webp
    96.2 KB · Views: 665
Fish-Gate said:
Awesome finds and pics Merf! Spanish silver is pretty rare around our parts!!!




Thanks Fishgate :thumbsup:




silverfreak said:
I bet that made your day buddy. Since you found some spanish silver here in IL...maybe the silver gods can send one my way :D




Thanks Silverfreak :thumbsup: Hope you find some.





Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Merf,

I gotta hand it to ya man ...

You do not let up ... It just keeps on getting better & better ...

A Super High Five my friend ...

Congratulations ~ Nick




Thanks Nick :thumbsup: Lots of primo spots here in farmland.
Best luck my friend. :thumbsup:





ModernMiner said:
:occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:
Farmer Merf,
You are unbelievable!!! Congrats on your first Spanish silver. A fantastic find for sure. :icon_king:
Your silver, copper, and relic crop has really done well this year in that field. :wink:
All I ask is that you stay out of Northern Indiana until I get back there in August. ;D
YOU are the Man!!!
-Doug-



Thanks Doug :thumbsup: I have had a streak of good luck.
Hope you find lots of goodies in Indiana, my friend. :thumbsup:






Goldiver said:
Nice job on the research, Love that 2 Reale coin!




Thanks Goldiver :thumbsup: It is my first one----What a thrill.







Natman said:
You did it again Merf..great scores, especially the silver. Congrats to you :thumbsup:

Nat



Thanks Natman :thumbsup:





Lowbatts said:
Sweeet!
http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html
The link takes you to a guide on those button backmarks
The silver is very good looking and sharp!




Thanks Lowbatts :thumbsup:
 
Wow, Merf, Spanish silver! :icon_king: You just never know, do you? I can't imagine the thrill of finding that one.

You've inspired me to check out our local plat books again. It is challenging as the 1895 one I was recently browsing had no street names (is this typical?) making it difficult to figure out where everything was. We've only lived in this area 11 years and I don't know every road and lake just yet. :tongue3: But I did learn the locations of some former schools and churches.

Keep digging!
 
Michiganne said:
Wow, Merf, Spanish silver! :icon_king: You just never know, do you? I can't imagine the thrill of finding that one.

You've inspired me to check out our local plat books again. It is challenging as the 1895 one I was recently browsing had no street names (is this typical?) making it difficult to figure out where everything was. We've only lived in this area 11 years and I don't know every road and lake just yet. :tongue3: But I did learn the locations of some former schools and churches.

Keep digging!



Thanks Anne :thumbsup:
Here are two sites that I use---www.maps.live.com for the new maps and www.historicmapworks.com which has the old platt maps.
It is a puzzle sometimes comparing the old and new maps but many times the roads are the same.
Best luck and I hope you find some good spots.
 
I think they are likely correct about the sword hanger. I'd love to see a photo of the other side of it as well. It is brass, is it not?


That 1820 silver is EXCELLENT!


:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom