What's new

Spear head or knife?

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2012
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
1,648
Golden Thread
1
Location
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This spear head or knife was found today in the northwest region of ct .I'm curious of the age and possibly who made it thanks for looking and help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • image-441895301.webp
    image-441895301.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
Nice find!
I don't no your area real well..
I'm sure someone who does will chime in.
If I were to guess I would probably call that a Snook hill...or a Stark point with a broken stem.
 
I'm not familiar with any of it I'm into colonial relics and this was found in a drained lake bed next near a cellar I'm sure there not related. Thanks for the info this is really interesting.
 
Sure.. definitely not related.
That point is somewhere between 7,000 and 3,200 years old.. give or take.
 
Relicdude - I'm not a CT artifact expert but I'd guess that it's a knife and not a spear, based on its size. Could be either, but I'm leaning knife. As far as age, Gator is probably right in my opinion. Its probably an archaic knife from the timeframe he lists.

I don't know if you collect precontact artifacts but that's a pretty nice find - everyone here would be proud to have found it. With artifacts like this where there's one there's usually more. Head back and find the rest!

Nice work.
 
Very cool find and I'll say knife. I've thought about this and what really would be the purpose and practicality of a stone 'spear point'? Possibly for lances in combat or buffalo hunting, or just to look impressive when you took the field against your opponents. Used as a spear, points this long would pretty much be a one time use thing, as due to their form they would probably shatter a lot on impact. I just don't think there was a lot of spear use goin on until the Spanish entradas. The Kiowa and Commanche had a big time fightin with the Spanish Lancers. The Lancers used metal tipped lances or spears, and the Southern Plains tribes took an immediate liking to them. They captured some and copied them for their own use. Just something to speculate about.
 
Hmm this is very interesting this is first artifact I have ever found I was found in lake bed that's drained every year to regulate the flow of the Farmington river. Due to the great flood of 55 we had in the region so the river was damed Thank you for all the information
 
Most of the knifes I find in my area are noted to be just that by the little notch that is on the left side of your artifact. They look like points but are knifes. I will try and post an example for you. Its the white one.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3158.webp
    100_3158.webp
    120.9 KB · Views: 118
I would call it a knife because it is dull and worn uneven. The broken base only adds to authenticate this artifact. Nice save!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom