papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
Upvote 0

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
My wife likes doing the hobby with me, because she actually gets equally as excited as I do when she finds a coin in a roll :headbang: As far as advice, there is none. I suppose you cant force someone to enjoy your hobby. You can, however, rest assured that there are plenty of people on this forum that will always get excited about your finds with you.

HH
JJ

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJTheisen said:
My wife likes doing the hobby with me, because she actually gets equally as excited as I do when she finds a coin in a roll :headbang: As far as advice, there is none. I suppose you cant force someone to enjoy your hobby. You can, however, rest assured that there are plenty of people on this forum that will always get excited about your finds with you.

HH
JJ

very true!!! ;D +1

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
My wife thinks Iam insane to do this. Her sister and the rest of the family just cant understand how a coin that says fifty cents , could be worth any more than that. I would love to tell them about it, but we all know the rules. I just smile and say your right. But you never know down the road. HH

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
My wife used to give me the eyeball when I'd say I was going out to scrounge for coins. That stopped about 1988 though. Since then she says, "have fun". Better than making deposits of money in g-strings or thongs at the local "gentlemen's clubs". :laughing7:

I don't knit - she doesn't CRH or metal detect.

HH

Bentfork

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my wife understands --can make money (maybe) with 0% chance of any loss , she likes to look and find silver too -- out of a $200 bag of coins last week --we got 23 -40%ers and 3 90%ers -- $13 of silver in total which I sold for 100.50 --take out the $13 --87.50 in free money --my wife really understands that. :wink:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my wife understands it has value as a commodity for $ but she always gives me the line, until you sell it blah blah, which is true, until you sell its only worth 50 cents, but I dont intend to sell anytime soon!

I think she gets happy on days when the bank screws up my orders, like tonight im 3k short! pwned.

Heed

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife thinks this hobby or anything involving coins, is for nerds. She's probably right :laughing7:
Lately she might go through the odd amount of dimes for me, so hey, now she's a nerd.
I have a slight advantage, she's a loan officer at a bank, and also teller when things get busy. When things are slow, she may go through dimes and sometimes quarters, from the vault, with full approval from her manager. She brings home the goods and has blocked silver halves, dimes, whole roll of steel cents, and solid rolls of silver halves. So, she does support my hobbies, but she hears more about my dirtfishing than anything, can you believe she gives the eye roll even at a seated quarter or key date IH?

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Bigheed said:
my wife understands it has value as a commodity for $ but she always gives me the line, until you sell it blah blah, which is true, until you sell its only worth 50 cents, but I dont intend to sell anytime soon!

I think she gets happy on days when the bank screws up my orders, like tonight im 3k short! pwned.

Heed

Your wife is correct, until you sell it you haven't realized a profit. That's Economics 101 stuff.

It is fun just to look at it sometimes though. I do it all the time! :evil6:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My wife is my greatest enabler!!!!

When I say "I'd love to pick up $300 worth of dimes today, and get them dumped this afternoon, but I'm not sure if we'll have the time", she makes it work.

She is a great cheerleader, and often gets more excited than I do when we find "silvah".

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
JJTheisen said:

HH
JJ

Same for me. Mine too.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swuycheck said:
I get the eye.
Same here.

I also get the eye when I "ask" to go metal detecting. I get the eye when I am looking at my coin collection.

I pretty much get the eye for anything related to my coins.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife only likes to cherrypick my good bags. Other than that she feigns interest in my weekly finds. I have yet to sell anything but she has had her eye on my finds after learning what they are worth.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
My wife knows the values and seems to approve of me doing it but she looses interest if she isn't finding something every few minutes. So...CRH may not be what she needs. She sits on the couch and Facebooks while I sit on the other end and CRH.

She is also a manager of a finance company so she helps me get coins from the bank that she does business with and I just dump them at my bank. Sweet deal! ;D

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend i think enjoys it more than I do. Every day i get the, did the bank call? No? Well call them and make sure they got your oder.

How ever the process is as follows. She opens the roll of halves, sees no silver, and hands me the roll to date check, as she moves to the next roll. Eventually i get yelled at for not date checking fast enough as she has already rim checked :). Oh, and guess who is making the dumps?
She however does not enjoy dimes since they are in clear wraps. I enjoy those just as much, silver is silver. I really hope WF gets the 3 boxes i asked them to order me....

Metal detecting is a different story.....

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife used to be a teller in a bank. She had a few silver coins when we married. She has no interest in CRHing but understands the value of silver and she gets excited when I find something.

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
My wife she is a great friend even though she may not want to help me she cant stand the urge to look at a roll and not open it. she says she does not really care for crhing but she likes to steal a couple rolls and hide them from me until we finish the box. Then she pulls the last couple rolls out and likes to watch me squirm to get them as she opens them up. But she does not like to go and dump them at the bank so i havent tried to see if she will pick up coin at the bank for me i might have to try that. But she thinks all the tellers that i dump my coins at hate me and she doesnt want to be the person that walks into the bank and all the tellers say oh great she is back AGAIN.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasnt until I found a halves roll with 17 out of 20 silver in it. I brought it home, tossed it on the couch right next to her, and said, "worth hundreds baby".

After answering and explaining 20 questions, I broke out my "stash" I had accumulated since May to show her the rest...Let's just say I go to the bank whenever I want, no questions.

Also, she thinks its adorable because I taught my 3 year old how to rim check dimes, and he pronounces silver, "CHOO-BA." So now my wife asks me, find any CHOOBA? Or she will call me "Oh the Chooba Hunter."

I love her acceptance, keeps it real.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife could care less about CRH. She helped unwrap some rolls awhile back, every single half she would ask me if it was a keeper.

I got the hint and never asked her to help again. :laughing7:

She is into paper money though (1800's - Not our fiat money) which makes me happy. Only thing, PMG graded paper is far more expensive
than say a Barber half dollar in XF condition that is a key/semi date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread