!st upgrade-pinpointer or coil?

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only get one or the other for now-either a Garrett pinpointer or 5.75 dd coil. I'd like to go out and do some gold hunting, on other hand I have read on several threads how the pinpointer will make the detecting that much easier, I live in a high mineralization area and am wondering which id get more out of at this point, in that I am just starting out in the hobby.

Meant to put 1st not !st on thread title

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both have good value - the DD coil will allow you to separate targets better in trashy areas. The Propointer will reduce your recovery time by 40-60 %, allowing you to dig more targets in a hunt.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely go for the coil. You cant hunt nuggets well at all without a DD coil. The blacksand/mineralization will drive the stock coil crazy.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Propointer most definitely. The small coil will be used or needed for some hunts. The pinpointer is something that can help you on every hunt.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you are going for gold, it's a no brainer, a DD coil. Most real prospectors don't use pinpointers anyways and first you need to find the gold, then you have to dig it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the pointer to save time in recovery.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Most don't realize that hunting for gold is the MOST DIFFICULT type of metal detecting out there. To be somewhat successfull in gold nugget hunting you don't need a DD coil.... you need a different detector unless you think that you will have nuggets as big as a nut to find, and there aren't many. So my opinion is get the Pin Pointer. It will work for you and will help your find your goodies much faster.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most don't realize that hunting for gold is the MOST DIFFICULT type of metal detecting out there. To be somewhat successfull in gold nugget hunting you don't need a DD coil.... you need a different detector unless you think that you will have nuggets as big as a nut to find, and there aren't many. So my opinion is get the Pin Pointer. It will work for you and will help your find your goodies much faster.
True, that nugget shooting is the most difficult. However, a -1 grain piece of lead shot is much smaller than a nut, and my Vaquero (with 5.75 widescan coil) has found plenty of them at 3-4" in highly mineralized areas. Most people (Dave Johnson included) will tell you that if you find small pieces of lead, you would be finding gold had it been there. The Vaquero, at 14.7hkz, is high enough to find grain size gold if you properly ground balance and you learn the machine. Here in the SoCal desert there is alot of mineralization and the Vaquero seems to handle it pretty well with the smaller DD coils.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, that nugget shooting is the most difficult. However, a -1 grain piece of lead shot is much smaller than a nut, and my Vaquero (with 5.75 widescan coil) has found plenty of them at 3-4" in highly mineralized areas. Most people (Dave Johnson included) will tell you that if you find small pieces of lead, you would be finding gold had it been there. The Vaquero, at 14.7hkz, is high enough to find grain size gold if you properly ground balance and you learn the machine. Here in the SoCal desert there is alot of mineralization and the Vaquero seems to handle it pretty well with the smaller DD coils.

I second that. Ironically people only believe it after seeing it, and I think that's good :)

OP
OP
G

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to go with the 5.75 dd coil for now, because while I have no doubt that using a pinpointer would help in my frustration in finding targets faster. I feel at this point that by just using the detector with the 2 coils it will force me to learn the detector a lot better, and therefore help me in the long run.
Thank you all for your informed opinions.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to go with the 5.75 dd coil for now, because while I have no doubt that using a pinpointer would help in my frustration in finding targets faster. I feel at this point that by just using the detector with the 2 coils it will force me to learn the detector a lot better, and therefore help me in the long run.
Thank you all for your informed opinions.

nice, I have heard good things about that coil. Take a look at the treasure mate pointer, seems to be better than the garrett for small targets

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread