What's new

Straight out of the flint mine

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big piece I found at a mine site about 5 foot deep in the bank I just wanted to show it to everyone so they could see the starting point of all the nice artifacts we find
 

Attachments

  • image-552871258.webp
    image-552871258.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3295811540.webp
    image-3295811540.webp
    30 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3477386633.webp
    image-3477386633.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1407733517.webp
    image-1407733517.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3873075712.webp
    image-3873075712.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1786213851.webp
    image-1786213851.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
I found a big piece yesterday. I thought it was more than what it is. After cleaning it I can see it was not much.
 

Attachments

  • 100_4077.webp
    100_4077.webp
    163.9 KB · Views: 137
What kind of material is it I can't tell from the one picture
 
A lot of times people overlook the big stuff lol
 
I drag the big stuff home too. It's an addiction. Does the Dover chert have "tiger stripes"? I find lots of brown pieces that have darker stripes. Really pretty material. I also have a nice piece (core?) that is the same brown, but has spots in it. I kept it because it was so pretty :)
 
What kind of material is it I can't tell from the one picture

Its flint. I thought it was a metate by the shape and size. No grinding as far as I can tell on it. Its a very heavy piece.
 
I have been bringing it home for about 20 years
 

Attachments

  • DSC01137.webp
    DSC01137.webp
    72 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8759.webp
    IMG_8759.webp
    98.4 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC01321.webp
    DSC01321.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00932.webp
    DSC00932.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 138
  • coralpile.webp
    coralpile.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 124
There is some large nodules where I hunt at. They are bigger than basketballs. Grey in color but might be different inside.
 
Those are some beautiful pieces of flint and yes tiger striped is a characteristic of Dover flint nice pieces everyone thanks for your pics !!!
 
If you find a large chert or flint rock in my area, you can bet the bank it was brought in by Native Americans:headbang:
 
Lol what area did u say you were from ?
 
That is some very pretty material gator I bet it produced some beautiful points !!!!
 
I just took those photos today..I'm in north Florida.
I plan on bringing some back with me.
 
I would that stuff looks amazing !!!!
 
gator, that stuff you found is like a compressed algea rock, cooks good and arrowheads were made from it. I find it in a lot of different places, always down in the clay layers on creeks and rivers, different rivers give different colors, but all the same type rock
 

Attachments

  • DSC02805.webp
    DSC02805.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC08531.webp
    DSC08531.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF2662.webp
    DSCF2662.webp
    369.1 KB · Views: 104
Centrfladigger, is that all coral you are finding. Great looking knapping rock.

The other rock shown in pictures is some sort of chert not flint. Don't think there is any flint in America unless you find it along the eastern coast line where it was dumped from ships that was used as ballast. But I can't hardly get two geologists to agree on what I wrote.
 
Most geologist say flint and chert is all the same. Chert is a lower grade from flint. The dark black pieces I find is considered a high grade flint.
 
I agree flint is a higher quality chert ;) !!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom