Strange Penny?

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Going thru my box of go thru finds I came across this penny, I almost dismissed it until I grouped it with the other penny finds, I have no idea when or where I found it for I always add up all my clad change at the end of the month. Definetly not toy money, not magnetic, size of a nickel, very very detailed, matches all markings on a penny exactly, even the small Lincoln can be seen in the monument as the designers initials. I am stumped? Has anyone ever came across this before.

ForumRunner_20130612_133735.png

ForumRunner_20130612_133751.png

ForumRunner_20130612_133810.png

ForumRunner_20130612_133828.png

Upvote 1

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen a 1986, a 1993, and a couple of 2000 oversized pennies at this point. They are somewhat rare or googling would have solved this already. So if they are manufactured "fakes" used for magic or something along those lines why would you need to make so many different dates? I'd keep stamping or casting the same date rather than pay to have a new die or mold made. And before you say it's so the magician can match the date of the penny he took from you, I don't think I'd be fooled into thinking a discolored penny with the copper removed was the same coin I handed him/her. Not to mention, if it was a "magic" penny I think it would have popped up in a LOT of google searches.

This leads me to believe that actual pennies are being manipulated and being somehow made larger. I'll keep banging around the interwebs to try to figure out how this is accomplished.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and my original post where two people were quoted while discussing the oversized penny also mentioned an ebay auction where the seller was originally asking for $1000.00 but dropped the price to $9.99 near the end of the auction. This tells me it was faked and the seller realized no one was biting so he/she decided to sell it for the novelty that it was. Unfortunately the link to that auction is long gone.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Has any one thought about a counterfeit coin. What I mean is while relic hunting, we sometimes come across coins that were cast in a mold. And the edge makes me think some one tried to cast a penney to see if it could be done.

You see if you press the design of the coin in to what ever mold material you choose, the design actually grows, because you could never make a coin exactly the same size with out making a die.

So in fact you would end up with a coin slightly larger and yet show all the detail of the original coin provided the mold was exact.

Now this is just a theory of mine and I keep seeing people refer to zinc in this coin.

Please expound on this theory.

John

A common date late 20th Century and current 21st Century Cent, Nickel, Dime, Quarter and even Half Dollar are too costly to counterfeit (i.e. the materials to do so are more costly than the value of the coins being counterfeited) and if making fake error coins, they can only dupe so many people before the word gets out! That's why the Chinese stick with counterfeiting old U.S. Silver Dollars, Semi-Key and Key Date Half Dollars, an assortment of other rare U.S. coins, $20 and $100 bills and all sorts of rare coinage from around the world.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
huntsman53 - I just cant buy the vise squeeze theory - I don't believe the pressure applied could (or would ) cause all the elements on the
coin to expand proportionately , neither do I believe that it would expand the coin concentrically perfectly . I think the leather would be way too
soft to force any significant expansion anyway . Additionally , just a few posts ago l.cutler provided the answer to this mystery - claims to
have achieved this result numerous times !

l. cutler may be right and telling the truth about this! However, Copper Cents were expanded in the same manner that I described long before Copper Plated Zinc Cents came along. So, believe what you may! I would hope that l.cutler would create one or more of these overlarge cents and provide a video of it to prove his case!

Frank

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a fat chick with leather soles stepped on it while it was laying on the hot pavement in a Walmart parking lot.

Haha that's it for sure I think you nailed it

Dig until your arm falls off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread