Strange Penny?

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Going thru my box of go thru finds I came across this penny, I almost dismissed it until I grouped it with the other penny finds, I have no idea when or where I found it for I always add up all my clad change at the end of the month. Definetly not toy money, not magnetic, size of a nickel, very very detailed, matches all markings on a penny exactly, even the small Lincoln can be seen in the monument as the designers initials. I am stumped? Has anyone ever came across this before.

ForumRunner_20130612_133735.png

ForumRunner_20130612_133751.png

ForumRunner_20130612_133810.png

ForumRunner_20130612_133828.png

Upvote 1

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called a BROADSTRIKE

Dig until your arm falls off

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It rare I don't know how rare or what the value is but it's worth looking into
When the collar is not completely surrounding the coin, during the strike, a Broadstruck coin is the result.
The collar floats on springs independent of the die, and should completely surround the reverse die to help hold the planchet in place for striking. The collar forms the edges of the coins. On coins with reeded edges, the reeding is in the collar, and is formed when the planchet is struck and the collar is in the correct position.
Since the collar floats on the springs independently, it is possible for it to get out of position as a result of dirt and debris that causes it to stick in the upward position. When the planchet is struck, the metal is allowed to expand outward, due to the fact that there is no collar to hold it in place.
If the collar becomes tilted, or jamed, it allows outward metal flow on one side, resulting in a "Partial Collar Broadstrike".
Broadstrikes can be centered or off-center.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t2457/#ixzz2W2az0yiC

Last edited:

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I could be mistaken I've been looking at this penny and the rim is not messed up like other BS coins I find. I'll keep looking

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
So how the h e double tooth picks did the design size get larger to match the size of the coin? I didn't read the thread recon and I don't need to.

IMO, this is not a mint error. This is a coin that someone made to look like a penny and the size of a nickle, simple!

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how the h e double tooth picks did the design size get larger to match the size of the coin? I didn't read the thread recon and I don't need to.

IMO, this is not a mint error. This is a coin that someone made to look like a penny and the size of a nickle, simple!

Your right that's what I realized after I said that. I can't find a match and can't really figure out how such a thing would be made so perfect be the average joe

OP
OP
rayrayvegas

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thats my question, I have seen fake and forged coins and none are at this detail. ????? And who would take the effort to do this anyways for a normal date penny?

OP
OP
rayrayvegas

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds

Xr7ator, if you can make and show me one with this much detail I will go along with your response.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two of these ! they are the size of a nickel , with no copper wash - they cannot possibly be a fake or homemade job , the
details are all correct, but everything is slightly larger than a "regular" zincoln . Please , lets keep this thread alive long enough to
solve this mystery !- the aforementioned broadstrike error does not account for the oversizing of all the details on the coin - it only
accounts for the diameter being larger , none of the other details on the coin would be oversized . I am extremely interested in seeing
this mystery get solved . There must be some coin experts who can shed light on this !!!

nroth1618

May 18, 2013
This is just a novelty coin, made just as a paper weight. Because the coin is larger than the real penny, the maker does not legally have to have "copy" written on it.

OP
OP
rayrayvegas

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I have two of these ! they are the size of a nickel , with no copper wash - they cannot possibly be a fake or homemade job , the
details are all correct, but everything is slightly larger than a "regular" zincoln . Please , lets keep this thread alive long enough to
solve this mystery !- the aforementioned broadstrike error does not account for the oversizing of all the details on the coin - it only
accounts for the diameter being larger , none of the other details on the coin would be oversized . I am extremely interested in seeing
this mystery get solved . There must be some coin experts who can shed light on this !!!

Glad to hear someone else has this mystery coin, I really hope we can figure this one out. I know its hard if you dont have this in hand but it is definetly not a novelty coin or paper weight.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty awesome no matter how it came to be. ...to the gentleman who has 2...u want to sell one?:)

-beav3r

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't pretend to know what exactly happened to create these , there is no way in hell that these are "game pieces " or
"paper weights " (c'mon they are only the size of a nickel - and essentially the same weight as a zincoln ) Man , I can't wait to
hear some more theories ! Please remember when you posit your theory/theories - all the details are proportionately oversized
to the degree that the diameter is also ! ( these coins have the diameter of a nickel )

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I may be wrong but it looks like a real 2000-D Lincoln Memorial Cent that was struck not only on a Zinc Planchet missing the Copper Plating but was also struck inside a Collar for minting Nickels. It is not a Broadstrike! I bet that if you make a graphite (pencil) rubbing of the coin on a sheet of very thin white paper and compare the rubbing to another Cent, that the details on the subject coin are the same size and dimensions but everything outside of the details have been pushed out during the minting process to meet the Nickel Collar. If it was struck (minted) on a non-plated Zinc Planchet, is should weigh slightly less than 2.5 grams. Have the coin checked out by a knowledgeable and honest Coin Expert or send it to Coneca for attribution. See the link below for Coneca's website.

CONECA

Frank

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is cool. I can't find any info on it. Can't wait to hear the story on what it actually is!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just out of sheer curiosity--where did you get them from?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huntsman53 , As strange as it may seem , please believe me - the oversize is across every feature on these - the profile of Lincoln , the letters ,
the date , the Lincoln memorial on the reverse - everything - this is the reason I'm completely stumped on these finds - it would be so easy
to otherwise attribute this to a broadstrike error (previously mentioned )

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik, I'm pretty sure I got them in normal circulation - I tend to ignore zincolns in the field ( my MXT puts up the word zinc on the screen )
I've had them for enough years that I'm not really clear on how /where I obtained them (I may have dug one of them ,just not sure )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread