Summer Sift

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had lots of time today to look. I went back to a spot that I had found a knife at a few weeks ago. I thought I would try something new, so I made a small sifter from a plastic tub. I tried it out right up against the waterline at a few spots without any luck at all for 2 hours. I found only a few pieces of chipped flint. I did manage to spot another uni-face knife(I think?) tumbling in the wash. I moved to one last spot before heading home and found a whole point. Then I found 2 more within a foot of the first and in the next 15 minutes. I made a mental note of that particular shore so I could check it out again. A great start to summer!
20130524_195749.jpg I'm still learning, but would appreciate suggestions...I think I found: an attempt at a knife, a blunt, a Rheems Creek/Halifax?, and a Bugs Island/New Market?

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some great finds. You did good. Cant help you on the ID but id be happy with that return.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sifting!
Looks like you found a good spot.. bet you will wind up wearing gloves with rubber bands around your wrists after you wear the skin off your fingertips..LOL.
Nice finds!
Get some cheap pressure treated 1"x 2" 's and make two frames..put some 1/4" hardware screen between them and screw them together. .. works great.
Great for fossil hunting too if you do that.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sifting!
Looks like you found a good spot.. bet you will wind up wearing gloves with rubber bands around your wrists after you wear the skin off your fingertips..LOL.
Nice finds!
Get some cheap pressure treated 1"x 2" 's and make two frames..put some 1/4" hardware screen between them and screw them together. .. works great.
Great for fossil hunting too if you do that.

Yes..I had no idea how abrasive the process would be on my hands. They feel like they went through a rock tumbler!

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds - looks like your own to a good spot

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt Joe. I think the hornstone though broke or worn on the one side might be an elk river and the red one a mud creek. Both are known more so in our area. I like the scraper. Not by any chance near E. slough are ya? Looks like a really good day. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt Joe. I think the hornstone though broke or worn on the one side might be an elk river and the red one a mud creek. Both are known more so in our area. I like the scraper. Not by any chance near E. slough are ya? Looks like a really good day. :thumbsup:

I knew you could help with ID...yeah it isn't broke, it has been worked...not sure if this is relevant, but it does reveal a darker color where the barb would be....north of E. Slough...Grasshopper area....this was my half day hooray from school!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hhaha That is Great. School is out!! Darker color may mean a more recent break if that makes sense.Hornstone is a really good and pure material just not as pretty as some but I sure like it. If you are looking at e.slough dead on. Go to the right of Island the first little slough on the right hunt left side,, had habitation until removal. Also the point that sticks out to the left of the island on mainland used to be good. Most everything is underwater now. The actual site is in front on e.s island.
Was I right on that new area? I am glad you are there as I will not make it up that far this year. Maybe in Feb next year.Maybe 8-) Good going Joe.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hhaha That is Great. School is out!! Darker color may mean a more recent break if that makes sense.Hornstone is a really good and pure material just not as pretty as some but I sure like it. If you are looking at e.slough dead on. Go to the right of Island the first little slough on the right hunt left side,, had habitation until removal. Also the point that sticks out to the left of the island on mainland used to be good. Most everything is underwater now. The actual site is in front on e.s island.
Was I right on that new area? I am glad you are there as I will not make it up that far this year. Maybe in Feb next year.Maybe 8-) Good going Joe.[/QUOTE

I have checked out the left point several times and each time I find something...I did finds some signs on the right side, but no whole points or anything too special. When was the removal? ...like Trail of Tears removal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions