SURF PI OR BH 300 ID FOR KAUAI AND OAHU BEACHES

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I believe you're going to want the pi to get thru the black sand with any depth.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are an easy dig....I prefer a pi for the water but a vlfim the dry sand

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take Both:
Depending on where and how you detect you will need one or the other.
If one breaks down, you will still be able to hunt!
Plus when you return, you will have experience as when and where to use one or the other.
Best way to get experience is to just do it!

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take Both:
Depending on where and how you detect you will need one or the other.
If one breaks down, you will still be able to hunt!
Plus when you return, you will have experience as when and where to use one or the other.
Best way to get experience is to just do it!

Wise words!!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Both are similar, take a good scoop with you : "if you want to dig during your vacations, don't forget your PI machines" :laughing7:

Ugly J

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might research the surf condition of the beaches you would like to hunt. I spent 10 days last June on the south side of kauai . Surf was brutal and keep me out of the water on the south side.Forced me to drive two hours to the north shore beaches each day in search of calm water.

Winter surf
North - huge, dangerous swells consistently
East - surf can get large and rough with strong trade winds
South - usually flat to small surf during winter, can be sunny even if it is raining up north
West - north swells wrap to the west side creating high surf, your best bet for sun and dry weather

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might research the surf condition of the beaches you would like to hunt. I spent 10 days last June on the south side of kauai . Surf was brutal and keep me out of the water on the south side.Forced me to drive two hours to the north shore beaches each day in search of calm water.

Winter surf
North - huge, dangerous swells consistently
East - surf can get large and rough with strong trade winds
South - usually flat to small surf during winter, can be sunny even if it is raining up north
West - north swells wrap to the west side creating high surf, your best bet for sun and dry weather

Ugly nailed it! Was going to ask what side of the island you were staying on. Kauai is small enough you can get all around in under 2 hours.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strongly recommend that you review Metal Detecting Hawaii videos by Pat before leaving.
Pat and an associate are located on Oahu, and have prepared videos of hunts over several years.
You might even be able to go out for a hunt with him if you give him a call - he is friendly toward visitors.

Not sure why you would want to detect Kauai as it has far less visitors than Oahu, and more of them are eco type rather than the rich who would be more likely to carry valuable jewelery.

As there is no continental shelf to slow waves down, in Hawaii even small waves there are very powerful.
They can easily pick you up and drag you out to sea, or you can be hit by objects in them.
One Rule to follow on all sides of the Island is Never, I repeat never, turn your back on the ocean.

Protected lagoons would be far safer to hunt as long as you stay away from the holes in the reef as .there can be a strong current when the tide changes.

Another tip is to stay away from monk seals, they are protected, and you could get arrested if you get to close to one or hurt if you accidently trip over one at night; they are not easy to see (look like a log or rocks along the beach) when hunting at night.

As you are near the equator, you really have to protect yourself against the sun.
Where brimmed hats, SPF 50 Sun Block, be especially carefull to protect your lips, rash gaurd in the water,
protective sun glasses (poloroid to see in the water)
Recommend staying out of the sun between (11AM to 2PM) to avoid getting fried,

Leaving Friday for 9 days. have both units but very little experience with either. recommendations??

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I agree, Pat has some great vids out there. He uses the AT pro quite a bit in Hawaii, in and out of the water. If he can get stable handling of the AT pro in Hawaii then I'm sure your dual frequency BH will work there no prob.

OP
OP
R

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. Going to try Kauai because it's there and so am I! Will hit Oahu when I get there too. Made contact with local legend Dutch Medford and he is going to make time to work with me. Appreciate all the tips. Went with PI only due to weight and space.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the one I would have taken...

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I wish I saw this post earlier, go with the Garrett Sea Hunter. The new whites suck, the big coil is useless, trust me I sold mine! I called Whites and complained but it seems no one listens, my sister has the Garrett works unreal!! Best of Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread