spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it would be nice to have some jobs return to the USA. I got this e-mail from a friend yesterday and found it interesting

Food for thought:
Any time you call an 800 number - A MUST READ

The gas company serving this area brought their call center back to
Atlanta from India last year after numerous customer complaints.
What a difference now when you call them...and it created 300+ jobs. I know
this works because they were so bad that when India answered I wouldn't
even deal with them. I'd simply ask to be transferred to a supervisor in
the U.S. and they would have to comply.

Now that I know it is the LAW - I will do it for sure

Anytime you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter
communications, health and other insurance, most especially computer
related help desk, etc) and you find that you're talking to a foreign
customer service representative (perhaps in India , Philippines , etc),
please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the customer service
representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure
about the accent), please, very politely (this is not about trashing other
cultures) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in
the United States of America .."

The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say,
"Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in
the USA .."

YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED TO A REP IN THE USA .
That's the rule and the LAW.

It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA .

Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure -
and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale .

Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to
only US phone reps from this day on.

Imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would
need to be created ASAP.

If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to
consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in
viral marketing 101.

Remember- the goal here is to restore jobs back here at home - not to be
abrupt or rude to a foreign phone rep. You may even get
correct answers, good advice, and solutions to your problem - in real
English.

If you agree, please tell 10 people you know, and ask them to tell 10
people they know....etc...et

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similar in my town too. In the nearby large city the unemployment % has to be even higher. We can drive through the big city any hour of a work day and see large groups of people loitering on the streets.

M

That was true before the "recession" hahaha. Expect to see lots of people sitting on their porch in the big city, too. They didn't have jobs before, so don't expect them to have jobs now.

I see no economy issues in my neck of the woods. I do speak to people from time to time who are complaining about lack of work. They generally, from my experience, have one of these two things in common. One, they are uneducated or two, they lack ambition / drive. I see help wanted signs posted all of the time. If you want work, you can get it.

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was true before the "recession" hahaha. Expect to see lots of people sitting on their porch in the big city, too. They didn't have jobs before, so don't expect them to have jobs now.

I see no economy issues in my neck of the woods. I do speak to people from time to time who are complaining about lack of work. They generally, from my experience, have one of these two things in common. One, they are uneducated or two, they lack ambition / drive. I see help wanted signs posted all of the time. If you want work, you can get it.

For myself and probably a lot of other hard-working, decent people who have been posting on this thread who have lost their jobs-your post is quite a loaded punch to the gut and not appreciated.

True, I do not have a college education, but the last thing that anyone who ever knew me at all would say about me is that I am uneducated. I could go into great detail about why I am not uneducated, but that would bore everyone. In my field, I could also run rings around any fresh faced college graduate or experienced college graduate and my history proves it.

As for lack of ambition/drive, as I have said before, nowadays it is a different world out there for job seekers. I refuse to kiss *ss and play Little Miss Social Network or compromise my ethics to get a job and if that means that I remain unemployed, so be it. My commitment to God and myself comes first. Underqualified, overqualified, made too much money....on and on.....who knows why they never call for even an interview and I am willing to take any rate of pay at this point. It is a different world. In the old days, you could take that sign out of the shop window, speak to the owner and get a job. Now most everything is corporate owned/run and applications are run through the great internet-who knows where they go or if they go anywhere at all. Companies get angry with you if you walk in or call direct. Every job has tens or hundreds of applicants.

I agree, there are lots of jobs out there (tons of medical and IT), but that doesn't necessarily mean that getting one of those jobs is cake. Walk a mile in our shoes.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat I questioned his comment to until I reread it and saw he was talking about the people he talked to, not everyone out of work...

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat I questioned his comment to until I reread it and saw he was talking about the people he talked to, not everyone out of work...

I did think long and hard about replying and how to do it-it was the, "If you want work, you can get it" comment that drove me over the edge.

Bazinga-if you meant ONLY the people that you have come in contact with in person-then my apologies for going off the deep-end. However, if you meant it about people who are out of work in general, then my comments still stand.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anybody know of an official monthly calculated figure for the "underemployed"? The unemployment figures, as we already know, are cooked from the current jobless applications through government agencies dealing with unemployment benefits. When the job seekers are no longer "seeking" due to being ineligible for benefits, then a miracle happens. They are no longer counted as unemployed.

That is why I don't for a second believe the official single digit jobless percentages being posted by the government every month. The unemployed may very well be seeking but are not counted. Then there are the huge numbers of career welfare recipients who have no incentive to look for a job. They ARE unemployed by choice. Their numbers should be added to the national figures however. It would give a more accurate look at the sad situation this country is in.

Here is a thought. Try to find a government web site showing the national average personal income figure this month compared to last month and prior months. Is it in a declining trend? Likely it is and has been for many months. Then, if the figures are compiled, does the national average minimum level of basic subsistence line cross the national average income line? My guess is ... it already has. The condition at that point is called ... wait for it ... an economic depression. Politicians won't use the "D" word. The spin on it is ... "The rate of recovery is slower than predicted". Meaning, we are sinking at a slower rate into insolvency. Very comforting!

M

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While that is your prerogative, it is not a good reason to stay unemployed and complain about it. Sometimes we have to do things we don't care to do to make ends meet. The system is what it is until we get together to change it.

When I get pulled over for speeding, I don't care to kiss *ss either.8-)

In my eyes not sacrificing my ethics or pretending that I am something that I am not (same thing) is a perfectly good reason to stay unemployed. And why can't I complain about it? Having to do these things, is WRONG any way that you look at it-period. Yeah, sometimes we do have to do things that we don't enjoy to make ends meet-like driving the same truck for 12 years (which I am). But instead of buying a new car or jewels or furs, I saved my money so that if necessary I could quit my job and live off of my savings (like I am doing now). I don't believe that I have been whining about it.

Oh I see, maybe I should lie on my resume or contact every person I've ever known and ask them to help me get a job even though I haven't spoken to them in 15 years or join every club or organization out there and tell everyone else how great I think they are..... The system is what it is until we change it-however, I have noticed that those in power to change it are also the ones who want their *sses kissed, so I'm thinking that it might not ever change-in fact, I think it's getting worse.

When you get pulled over for speeding, you were the one breaking the law and should not kiss *ss, but shut up and accept the fact that you were wrong, got caught and deserve whatever punishment you get. Totally different story.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it would be nice to have some jobs return to the USA. I got this e-mail from a friend yesterday and found it interesting

Food for thought:
Any time you call an 800 number - A MUST READ

The gas company serving this area brought their call center back to
Atlanta from India last year after numerous customer complaints.
What a difference now when you call them...and it created 300+ jobs. I know
this works because they were so bad that when India answered I wouldn't
even deal with them. I'd simply ask to be transferred to a supervisor in
the U.S. and they would have to comply.

Now that I know it is the LAW - I will do it for sure

Anytime you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter
communications, health and other insurance, most especially computer
related help desk, etc) and you find that you're talking to a foreign
customer service representative (perhaps in India , Philippines , etc),
please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the customer service
representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure
about the accent), please, very politely (this is not about trashing other
cultures) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in
the United States of America .."

The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say,
"Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in
the USA .."

YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED TO A REP IN THE USA .
That's the rule and the LAW.

It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA .

Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure -
and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale .

Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to
only US phone reps from this day on.

Imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would
need to be created ASAP.

If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to
consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in
viral marketing 101.

Remember- the goal here is to restore jobs back here at home - not to be
abrupt or rude to a foreign phone rep. You may even get
correct answers, good advice, and solutions to your problem - in real
English.

If you agree, please tell 10 people you know, and ask them to tell 10
people they know....etc...et

I just put on a very exaggerated southern drawl and keep saying "I can't understand you", works everytime, because they can't understand me either. :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup, you do have to remember there are 10's of thousands of jobs that have been outsourced from the USA. This holds true in almost every industry, not just the ones mentioned above. It boils down to greed which is human nature. Make the most with spending the least to increase the bottom line. These companies also need to understand that to continue to use their services, we actually need money in ours to pay for it, plain and simple :tongue3:

Job search. Use every means possible, including past contacts and of course professional sites like Linked-in, or any other site that may be geared to your career path. In the transportation industry I use JOC.com and jobsinlogistics.com keep in mind, they may have openings is accounting and other areas that fit your skill sets

Interviewing skills. Stay sharp and alert and well spoken. Don't jump to answer a question, rather pause and let it soak in. This shows thought process. Never stutter, or hesitate in your speech, that means no ers, ems, or ahs

Most important of all, try and make a personal connection with the interviewer. Notice their surroundings, pictures, hints of hobbies etc. Just never, and I mean never look at a family picture and say "Is that your daughter?" Well, she's hot, "I mean she is really hot."

I found out that doesn't go over so well :laughing9:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus53 said:
.... Just never, and I mean never look at a family picture and say "Is that your daughter?" Well, she's hot, "I mean she is really hot."

That and never look at the wife's photo and say "Oh wow, I think I know her".

There are job interview training courses. For anyone interested, just do a Google search for your area.

M

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It is strange how a person's attitude can be seen through the keyboard and monitor. And more so through an eye to eye conversation."

So now I have an attitude-cool beans, I count that as a compliment. Sometimes "attitudes" (assertiveness) are called for. As for seeing my attitude in face-to-face contact, getting even an interview in this job market is nearly impossible, but when I do get an interview, I will be sure to pick my nose during it because it appears that after reading your post, that is something that I would be dumb enough to do.

Pretty much done with this thread-I started it as a place where other people who were unemployed could vent and join together, not as a place where we could get bashed for not having a job (for whatever reason).

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It is strange how a person's attitude can be seen through the keyboard and monitor. And more so through an eye to eye conversation."

So now I have an attitude-cool beans, I count that as a compliment. Sometimes "attitudes" (assertiveness) are called for. As for seeing my attitude in face-to-face contact, getting even an interview in this job market is nearly impossible, but when I do get an interview, I will be sure to pick my nose during it because it appears that after reading your post, that is something that I would be dumb enough to do.

Pretty much done with this thread-I started it as a place where other people who were unemployed could vent and join together, not as a place where we could get bashed for not having a job (for whatever reason).

My comments were not directed at you, just my suggestion on how to help others.

I didn't know the thread was for venting so my comments are no longer relevant. I have no job but do not feel the need to vent.

Best of luck.
Cool-beans

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup, you do have to remember there are 10's of thousands of jobs that have been outsourced from the USA. This holds true in almost every industry, not just the ones mentioned above. It boils down to greed which is human nature. Make the most with spending the least to increase the bottom line. These companies also need to understand that to continue to use their services, we actually need money in ours to pay for it, plain and simple :tongue3:

Job search. Use every means possible, including past contacts and of course professional sites like Linked-in, or any other site that may be geared to your career path. In the transportation industry I use JOC.com and jobsinlogistics.com keep in mind, they may have openings is accounting and other areas that fit your skill sets

Interviewing skills. Stay sharp and alert and well spoken. Don't jump to answer a question, rather pause and let it soak in. This shows thought process. Never stutter, or hesitate in your speech, that means no ers, ems, or ahs

Most important of all, try and make a personal connection with the interviewer. Notice their surroundings, pictures, hints of hobbies etc. Just never, and I mean never look at a family picture and say "Is that your daughter?" Well, she's hot, "I mean she is really hot."

LOL, You don't have to tell me about outsourcing. That's a big part of what's wrong with this country as far as i'm concerned. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but I don't see this country ever being what it once was. We are no longer the industrial leader of the world. We produce hardly anything, and what we do produce is made with foreign materials. Unless this country gets back to basics and starts being self reliant again... it will only get worse. The average Joe has been sold down the river to a (yes still) communist country. And you can thank our Gov. and those Mega Corps. that they are sleeping with. It's disgusting really.

I will always survive because i'm a very resourceful person. I can live with it or without it, it's all about adaptability. I work for myself. I'm lucky to work 1 or 2 "real" jobs a month these last 3-4 years, but my bills get paid and I don't miss a meal. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. Have I been able to save anything these last several years? Very little. There are many much worse off than me that work 40-60 hrs. a week for chump change, because that's the only work they can find. The thought of saving even a dollar a week doesn't even work in to the equation for them, it's impossible. God bless them and God help this country.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup, you do have to remember there are 10's of thousands of jobs that have been outsourced from the USA. This holds true in almost every industry, not just the ones mentioned above. It boils down to greed which is human nature. Make the most with spending the least to increase the bottom line.

Why is improving one's business considered "greedy?" I've never understood that at all. Businesses are in business to make money. Period. That's it.

If a factory in the USA has workers that feel they "deserve" $20 an hour + benefits to push a button, then I don't blame the business for moving it's operations overseas. It's exactly what I would do.

Americans treat businesses that try to increase their bottom line as criminal and immoral.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
ohmygoodness said:
chris farley- saturday night live, "A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER", you may not be as horrible as you seem, i guess?

Good riddance!

Last edited:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in little Rhode Island we are number 1 now in the highest unemployment..I live in the sticks but had the pleasure of taking my motorcycle around Providence this week and man you would think you were in a 3rd world country in some sections..Unions and Dems,pensions and entitlements have competely destroyed this state..
As for RI its hard for me to leave because the detecting of Historical sites are plenty..Actually i think thats the only reason im still here..
I scratch by a livng but 6 years ago i was making 100,000 a year..Now its like 25,000 if im lucky..he IRS took 6 grand from me this year at a 25,000 income..I have no kids so they really give it to me:violent1:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze, welcome to the club. I was the same way and I'll be lucky to make $25,000 if I work a ton of overtime :laughing7: Sad part is that my age will play a factor going forward, even though I have great experience and industry knowledge, companies will look for younger blood. :tongue3:

bazinga, I have no problem whatsoever with free enterprise, but I do have a problem with employers short changing dedicated workers. There are still several company's out there that do treat their employees like a valued commodity and give a just compensation. If every other company in this country wanted to outsource jobs, there would be little to no income to cover any living expenses.

Just hope your job, if you have one, isn't relocated to a 3rd world country :laughing9:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in little Rhode Island we are number 1 now in the highest unemployment..I live in the sticks but had the pleasure of taking my motorcycle around Providence this week and man you would think you were in a 3rd world country in some sections..Unions and Dems,pensions and entitlements have competely destroyed this state..
As for RI its hard for me to leave because the detecting of Historical sites are plenty..Actually i think thats the only reason im still here..
I scratch by a livng but 6 years ago i was making 100,000 a year..Now its like 25,000 if im lucky..he IRS took 6 grand from me this year at a 25,000 income..I have no kids so they really give it to me:violent1:
Yeah 6 years ago I was in the same boat, now i'm in a log raft with no oar, floating wildly downstream towards the rapids. I won't even mention the IRS, that's a racket in itself.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
This pretty much nails it:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• b7i96s.jpg