What's new

Survey-Who out there is unemployed?

kuger said:
....if you dont mind living in a tent....in the winter!!!

Or a van down by the river
 
The lack of infrastructure is why there is so much demand for jobs in every sector. From retail to engineers they are looking for everything. The huge demand for construction workers is because people don't want to live in tents, trailers or vans down by the river. Lots on minimum wage postions but there are also quite a few 100K+ positions out there.

My nine year old daughter was just there a couple of weeks ago and she even noticed there were help wanted signs everywhere...lol. If I was out of work and had nothing to lose I would go out there. My brother in law is out of work and is seriously considering the move.

NJ
 
I've worked in Williston for two years and never paid a dime in rent as a matter of fact I don't know anyone paying rent.Anyone doing business there knows they have to supply housing or they won't have employees. As for minimum wage jobs never seen or heard of that either Subway starts kids around 12$.
 
I've worked in Williston for two years and never paid a dime in rent as a matter of fact I don't know anyone paying rent.Anyone doing business there knows they have to supply housing or they won't have employees. As for minimum wage jobs never seen or heard of that either Subway starts kids around 12$.
Thats odd,I have a friend that has three modulars there and has em nearly paid off?
 
What is the price of gas in ND where all the oil is?
 
Bout national average.
If someone is looking for an excuse, they will find it.

I thought it would be higher since it sound like everything else is.
 
If someone is looking for an excuse, they will find it.
.. I guess that is true i retired from semi truck driveing in 1998.....I am now 72 years of age..... draw 2 pensions .... But still haul trees in the summer part time..... January of this year i am here on tnet the phone rings.... An some one says to me is this Jim K.... I say yes .... He said i am looking for a fill in driver could be 2 to 6 days a months part time....And i hear you are a pretty good driver......And i said We all think we are pretty good drivers.........As a matter of fact we all think we are the best......:headbang: So i said i will be in to talk to you in the morning... He said 10 am i said fine see you then......... I went in he said i will pay you $20.00 a hour to drive for me part time.............. And of course i said yes i will drive for you......... Now i have 2 part time driveing jobs and some weeks i get one day and some 3 days i do not want more than 3 days............But you see i don't do it out of need but the extra money is nice...........I do it for i love driveing those semi's.... more than detecting and more than most of the golfers that love to play golf.......... Playing games does not give me a feeling of satisfaction...... But to get out there driveing those few days a month gives me a feeling that i have accomplished something a great feeling..........And my wife enjoys those days by her self.........So she has wanted to go up to Prince Edward Island Canada......And i said to her it is about 1200 miles from here in Ohio so i will take you next may 2013 ..... But i also told her that we will be driveing there and she said that was fine with her........... I love to drive............ I remember just jokeing many years ago with her and my kids that if you are a driver ............You can be 70 years old and still find a good job........Now i proved it........... Of course i will take my detector with me....... .. But you see i was in bad shape many years ago out of work no real education high school was all i had........... Then i said i think that truck driveing is the answer..... So i went in to it and it was the answer..............
 
Last edited:
20 to even 30 percent true unemployment in US. Half of all US citizens do not pay income tax of any type. The top 2 percent or so of the wealthiest pay about fifty percent of the income tax revenue. WTF??? Think about that for a moment. Okay, to answer your question, I have a job. I am currently employed. I guess I am one lucky sonofagun. My job will probably end if you-know-who is still President after this November's World's Most Important Election In United States History, coming soon to a voting booth near you. Do the right thing.
 
Keppy, what you also have to understand is that you have a great deal of time under your belt. I was on selling the distributing side of this, and international traffic. Today, companies cannot hire hire the new CDL drivers being turned out due to insurance costs. It's a catch 22 for most out there. I was considering getting a CDL too, since I'm already driving a truck that doesn't require one. But... Once I have enough safe time behind the wheel, companies can take a look at me. I'd still prefer my old sales job, but that is history, just like manufacturing in the USA.
 
Keppy, what you also have to understand is that you have a great deal of time under your belt. I was on selling the distributing side of this, and international traffic. Today, companies cannot hire hire the new CDL drivers being turned out due to insurance costs. It's a catch 22 for most out there. I was considering getting a CDL too, since I'm already driving a truck that doesn't require one. But... Once I have enough safe time behind the wheel, companies can take a look at me. I'd still prefer my old sales job, but that is history, just like manufacturing in the USA.
Spartacus ..... I got my first real trucking job when i was about 38.... And what was funny about it was i had no driveing experience with semi trucks and other's that put in for the job i got had years of experience ..... But i just got out of truck driveing school................. An the insurance co for the trucking co. Told them that i was the one they had to hire............ They have a lot of say so those insurance co's.... But i did drive stright trucks before that.with big loads of heavy top heavy lumber............................................................................ thCA25TBYF.webpbut all my driveing has been start in the morning come home every night........I had one job were i was gone all week left on Sun. afternoon and come back the next Sat morn.... that only lasted about 6 weeks............. I would not drive like that .............. So all my driveing has been come back home every night.... That over the road was not for me.... You had no life with over the road driveing......
 
Last edited:
Keppy ... WOW ... your avatar has taken a turn for the better. I like !!! Pirates never looked that good, did they?

About the idea of driving a truck as a vocation, all I can say you guys are the most courteous people on the big highways. I travel in a big RV and appreciate how I'm treated by the "drivers". Of course I try to do the same for truckers by signaling with a flash or two of the headlights to indicate it is clear to pull over into my lane ahead of me.

There is a truck driver school not far from me in central Ohio. The school is pretty busy, which indicates guys (and gals) are training for new occupations.

M
 
Last edited:
There is a truck driver school not far from me in central Ohio. The school is pretty busy, which indicates guys (and gals) are training for new occupations. M

Like I said earlier, it's nice to get a CDL, but you won't get a job becuase of insurance. That's the way it's been for at least the last decade. Times have changed in the trucking industry. Yeah, get a CDL, but look to become an owner operator and be able to handle your costs if you want in that business. If you're an owner operator and hook up with a reputable company, you may earn after expenses $1200 a week, if you're lucky. From that, deduct your insurance, truck payments, and maintenance for starters. Then watch your check shrink.
 
I am pretty sure Toyota is still hiring in Bluesprings Ms. It is also rumored that a secound car line will be built there.
 
Stop blaming the corporations! They follow the rules as the government set them up. Blame the government for not making them pay taxes. :BangHead:
I lost my job a couple of years ago. I started working again about 5 months later on commision. So some weeks are beter than others. I get paid more hourly but in reality I'm making what I did 6 years ago. Ad to that high gas prices and the cost of food and I'm worse off.

Stop blaming the corporations??
They own our government, and make the rules.
Until we stop political donations from these big corps to our elected officials, our leaders will always be little more than puppets, controlled by them.
There is no easy answer. Our government is not "of the people" , "by the people", and "for the people" as it should be.
The golden rule applies....who ever has the gold, makes the rules.
 
Like I said earlier, it's nice to get a CDL, but you won't get a job becuase of insurance. That's the way it's been for at least the last decade. Times have changed in the trucking industry. Yeah, get a CDL, but look to become an owner operator and be able to handle your costs if you want in that business. If you're an owner operator and hook up with a reputable company, you may earn after expenses $1200 a week, if you're lucky. From that, deduct your insurance, truck payments, and maintenance for starters. Then watch your check shrink.
Yes it does cost a lot to be a owner operator....... More than one would ever think......... But if you get with a good company you can make around $1400.00 a week and all you put in is your time and give the goverment there tax dollars out of your hard earned money........
 
dirtscratcher said:
Check out Williston North Dakota, nearly every bussiness there has help wanted signs.

Yeah it is very busy down there in the williston area, and even more so on my side of the border. I own a construction business and I can't hardly keep up with demand. I would hire 10 more qualified employees if I could find any sort of housing for them. The bigger companies are willing to pay $1000.00 per month for a single bedroom for employees. People with finished basement bedrooms are laughing all the way to the bank!
 
Keppy ... WOW ... your avatar has taken a turn for the better. I like !!! Pirates never looked that good, did they?

About the idea of driving a truck as a vocation, all I can say you guys are the most courteous people on the big highways. I travel in a big RV and appreciate how I'm treated by the "drivers". Of course I try to do the same for truckers by signaling with a flash or two of the headlights to indicate it is clear to pull over into my lane ahead of me.

There is a truck driver school not far from me in central Ohio. The school is pretty busy, which indicates guys (and gals) are training for new occupations.

M
Yes i like that avatar also she is a good looking gal............ Those truck driving schools do get a lot of new ones wanting to be drivers.......... When i retired in 1998 i was making Around give or take $1100.00 a week...And that was not over the road that was local driving...... I would not take a job were i had to be away over night .... I like to come home after work......No sleeper cab , or motel , or hotel for me.... And i was never a owner operator i was always a company man........
 
Thats odd,I have a friend that has three modulars there and has em nearly paid off?

Kuger what I mean is my employer pays for our house like most employers in the area.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom