What's new

sweet find!

vegalyrae

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
40
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
south shore ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, yea, hi everyone! first off i guess i should introduce myself.

My name is brooke and i'm from south shore ky, right smack in the middle of the Shawnee main territory.

every spring we scour the fields in the flood plains of the scioto and ohio rivers meet looking for anything we can find that the plows unearthed. well...today during a nice brisk fall walk i would something i have never seen before.

the end is rounded with 7-8 ribs carved in the middle, then ending in a perfectly cylindrical blunted end. the whole thing weighs 2.3 lbs and is nearly 5 inches in length. my first thought was a tool of some sort but it appears to be made of some sort of fossil stone. we have an axe we found earlier in the year that is about the same size but this thing is by bar the coolest thing we've found yet....even though we have no clue what it is lol! what do you guys think?

artifact.webp
 
Upvote 0
Does'nt look like any known artifact to me, but it doe s look like a coprolite or fossil something.
i have looked into fossils and cant find anything that fits the description and also...it has tool marks so my thoughts in it being a fossil or and inner cast of a fossil are slim to none...from the pieces of coprolite i have seen I am also HIGHLY doubting its petrified poo ;)
:laughing7:
 
Brooke, like I told you on the other site I believe it's a fossil of some kind regardless of what the geology dept told you. Bring it to the show in Portsmouth and I'll take a look at it for you.

Also, just to clear things up a bit. Serpent Mound has no affiliation with the Shawnee Indians. The mound was built a very long time before the Shawnee ever came into existence in southern Ohio. I'd say that only 1% of the artifacts in our area are associated with the Shawnee and they are mostly concentrated on a spot on the West Side behind the junk yard right before Earl Thomas Conley Park.
 
looks natural to me prolly a fossil...
 
I wanna see what Harry or Larson has to say. That is an awesome rock no matter what it is. Personally, it looks like an artifact to me. tho would not be surprised if it's a fossil.
Welcome to Tnet vegalyrae. Keep the pix coming.
 
mamabear said:
I wanna see what Harry or Larson has to say. That is an awesome rock no matter what it is. Personally, it looks like an artifact to me. tho would not be surprised if it's a fossil.
Welcome to Tnet vegalyrae. Keep the pix coming.

Where the heck has Harry been? He and Gator remind me of Obama and Romney. Their debates are always educational, and I think they both enjoy it. Harry is the only person I can think of that would go into detail on why it is natural. I can't say one way or the other, but like Mama Bear said, it is worthy of being picked up!
 
Haha.. Speaking of elephants and donkeys.. I'm Pretty sure Harry Would reach across party lines on this and agree it's either a cast or a fossil.
 
GatorBoy said:
Haha.. Speaking of elephants and donkeys.. I'm Pretty sure Harry Would reach across party lines on this and agree it's either a cast or a fossil.

I think I'll copy this!!! Are you saying that a compromise between you two is possible?? It's a great day for man kind! My paradigm is still alive!!! Thanks Gator!!Lol!
 
You see my posts.. and my replies.. I'm not irrational or hard headed about anything.. I always take into account other people's views and opinions and always egknowledge that I may be incorrect. If I put as much value in the literature about the things that I have hands on field experience with as the people who have thier experience in different areas and use books as thier proof I would be spreading outdated information the bulk of which has already been proven to be partially if not totally incorrect. The field of archaeology is fluid and dynamic constantly changing as the wealth of information grows. That being said.... if someone wants to tell me I'm incorrect about something I have intimate knowledge of based on what they read I will argue my point until they are out of gas..... which I know you have seen already. SO THERE! haha... LOL. 8-)
 
Last edited:
GatorBoy said:
You see my posts.. and my replies.. I'm not irrational or hard headed about anything.. I always take into account other people's views and opinions and always egknowledge that I may be incorrect. If I put as much value in the literature about the things that I have hands on field experience with as the people who have thier experience in different areas and use books as thier proof I would be spreading outdated information the bulk of which has already been proven to be partially if not totally incorrect. The field of archaeology is fluid and dynamic constantly changing as the wealth of information grows. That being said.... if someone wants to tell me I'm incorrect about something I have intimate knowledge of based on what they read I will argue my point until they are out of gas..... which I know you have seen already. SO THERE! haha... LOL. 8-)

Hey! I love ya brother!! Never stop if you haven't been pinned. By doing that, you would hurt the learning process of others and allow your hours of research and hunting to die in vain.
 
cooooooolllllllllllllllll
 
We have a rock and fossil page here at Tnet. Maybe you should post this in those pages also to see what they say about it.
 
For what its worth,,I`m with wells. I found one in Kentucky, but on a smaller scale. It`s a fossilized plant. I cant remember the name, but I`ll find it again.
 
Its a fossil coral " horn coral"
 
Last edited:
That would be it,,,been working most of the day and just got on here to say just what you said Gator Boy. As always,,,,i`m a day late dollar short, haha.
 
Im sorry! LOL.
 
Yep horn coral now extinct 320 to 500 million years old
 
To settle the matter; I think it's a fossilized artifact.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom