TALLYO !!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a new site to me yesterday, but evidently it was hit before since the lack of "easy" finds had me believing the site was cherry picked years ago, but at least whoever hit it, did not pound the site in the harder to hunt areas. I consider getting 6 buttons at a homestead and a Jews Harp and bunch of double headed rivets and some pieces of Iron Pot to be not quite cleaning a site out.

Today I went back, after being happy to find only my second complete Jews Harp to try and find a coin, since most likely any coin from this site would have been either colonial or very early American, like in Liberty Cap and Draped Bust types, but it was not to be today.

No coins, and in fact, I really did not hunt the site much today, since I spent 2 hours walking the roads looking for 2 or 3 more suspected sites that I spotted on aerials, but the underbrush in those areas was way too much to even consider swingin a detector, so I got a good 4 mile hike in and on the way back I hit the homestead that I hit yesterday and was disappointed that I got no more buttons or good relics.

At the time I thought all I had was a junk piece of rolled copper and another one of the double head rivets with leather attached. To my surprise when I got home the frozen piece in my pocket turned out to be a complete cufflink assembly. I gave it a quick look and now I knew my find today was special! One relic I have seen posted by a few over the years has been the TALLYO running fox cufflinks. Well, today I got mine, although not in the best shape, they are still identifiable and I am happy with that.

Even though no coins as of yet from the site, I am very happy getting two more relics that are desired and of course added 6 more old buttons to the collection........

Don

Attachments

• Cellarholedepressions.jpg
    Cellarholedepressions.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,719
  • TallyoCufflinks.jpg
    TallyoCufflinks.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,660
  • CowturdRdsitefindstext.jpg
    CowturdRdsitefindstext.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1,717
  • pothole2.jpg
    pothole2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,707
  • Homestead to Left.jpg
    Homestead to Left.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,721
  • JewsHarp.jpg
    JewsHarp.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,733
  • button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,735
  • CTsite5button1found.jpg
    CTsite5button1found.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,732
Upvote 0
Ok, I'm gonna look dumb for asking.... But what is the jews harp

Sorry guys, had to chime in about the Jews Harp. A good example is The Who song
"Join Together"...at the song's intro is a harmonica and a Jews' Harp being played.

Well, I got no coins in my hunts at this site but my son did quite well at another site for a one hour hunt after work on Friday, two flat buttons and oh yeah, a fairly decent 1794 Large Cent, and a rare variety at that. Sheldon 51 Rarity 5. At least one of us is still finding old coppers. :)

Attachments

• 1794Sheldon51.jpg
    1794Sheldon51.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,176
That's a purdy liberty cap! Big congrats to your son from me. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Geeze, that coin is great condition compared to here. I'd be happy if they all looked like that.

First congrats on the finds don. looks to be a little cold there. As for that oval piece with the two holes on each side I had also just dug one yesterday in South Carolina that looks exactly the same. If anyone could chime in and I.D that would be cool.

Nice post, Don!! :thumbsup: I love to see those pics of the woods and stream!

Glad you were able to get out for a nice hike, and detect some sites that are obviously still producing. I'm sure if a coin was there, you would have found one.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Nice hunt Don! Glad to see you were able to get out and make some finds. I really like the cuff links and the small flower button. Im sure there are some very nice coins hiding nearby. 8)

Good Hunting!
Steve

Nice hunt Don! I have managed a few of those jews harps. Any idea of a more exact date on them, I have always thought mid 1700s to mid 1800s. HH, Mike

wow don that large cent is cool! tell your son congrats. man i would love to find that coin. willy.

congrats on some great hunts i found 1 of those tall yo cuff links about ayear ago it is 1 of my favorite finds the fact you found the set is incredible good luck and hh

dylan

Don, you are a legend in my eyes. The things I have seen you find, and your knowledge astound me.

If you ever desire a greenhorn to join you on a hunt, I will be willing to drive up and accompany you :).

Anthony

The Jew's harp goes a long way back in history...to early colonial times...like someone said a tonedeaf man's way to make music. I've played them a time or two and they do make a really bad sound off your teeth...lol

All I wanna know is: Did you wear your safety goggles?? :tongue3:

Attachments

• Warning-WearSafetyGoggles.jpg
    Warning-WearSafetyGoggles.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 713
Lisa, Drats, I knew I should have layed that hammer down with the other side showing! :D Just don't report me to OSHA. :tongue3:

Method used on some of the whacks into the frozen ground on that dig - Close eyes and hope for the best! :icon_thumright:

Don

(PS, actually I do carry safety glasses with me, OMG, they are hilarious looking, they were my military issued pair for reading that are specially made to fit inside wearing the gas mask, maybe I can dig a pic up of wearing them during one of our old wartime exercises. ;D )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back