apparently, someone took offense to my original reply? if that is the case, I apologize as no offense was meant. I replied to this thread right before leaving for work, so my words were short and to the point. to be honest, I didn't really understand the original question.... I don't know if they were asking what it is, or if we found it offensive towards a person of Jewish faith or what. so, I simply meant if the thing offends you, send it to me. I have studied WW2 history for most of my life with my main focus on the European theater. I love WW2 relics as long as they are genuine.
at the risk of making some people mad, I'm going to go ahead and say this..... I don't understand why everyone gets uptight at the sight of a swastika. and NO, I do not in any shape or form condone what Hitler's regime did to millions of people of any religion. at the time, the swastika was Germany's national symbol just as Old Glory is ours. the Germans relied heavily on symbolism to restore and maintain national pride, so the swastika was found everywhere and on everything.
Some countries have 'banned' the use of the swastika. it can't be shown in any form. in some countries, even model kits of WW2 German aircraft can not include the tail fin decal and the artwork on the box can not display it. now to me, that is ridiculous. so, they make a model kit that is historically inaccurate. what the nazi regime did will not go away by censoring it. by trying to forget it, it causes it to be ripe to happen again some day.
one day, while I was detecting the foundation and yard of a home that had been demolished, an elderly gentleman from next door came over to inquire if I was finding anything. I turned my machine off and we sat on the old porch and talked about different things. I told him of my love of history and studying the whole WW2 era because the sheer magnitude of the global conflict fascinated me. he told me that he was a WW2 veteran who saw combat at the end of the war and spent over a year in occupied Germany basically in police duty. I told him that I personally felt that the average German soldier and citizen were never aware of the genocide their government was conducting. his reply was this.... "I want to shake your hand.... you are the first person in my life who has ever said that. the German people and former soldiers who I watched over were absolutely shocked and horrified that their own government could commit such atrocities. they had been lied to from the very beginning of Hitler's reign"