What's new

The CLAW!

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a field full of Confederate relics sitting atop Colonial ones. The hole appears to be threaded but can't say for sure. I guess it's not really a claw, but thought I'd make it interesting!
 

Attachments

  • whatsit75.webp
    whatsit75.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 662
It looks like a leg to some decorative piece, like a candelbra etc. Interesting find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Definitely meant to be attached to something (wall, piece of furniture, etc.) -Noodle
 
Upvote 0
Picture frame hook perhaps?
 
Upvote 0
Is the slot open? Maybe part of a place card holder?
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
Is the slot open? Maybe part of a place card holder?
There does look to be a very slim slit between the fingers. This said, there's no real balance to the piece -- it kind of rolls around. So while I do find it interesting that the fingers don't connect, I'm not sure about a card holder. But who knows, it could have been attached to something that prevented it from rolling. PS to Breezie: I like the candelabra suggestion. Continued thanks to all.
 
Upvote 0
I posted this a LONG time ago but learned with 90% confidence that it's the end to a 19th century walking cane. Just thought I'd share for our historical archive.
 
Upvote 0
Hi kyphote, could you post some bigger pictures :icon_thumleft:, thanks mate.


hammered
 
Upvote 0
hammered said:
Hi kyphote, could you post some bigger pictures :icon_thumleft:, thanks mate.


hammered

The image is 150 dpi, so if you click the paper clip just below it, you should be able to zoom and retain good resolution. Is there a particular angle that might help? Happy to accomodate. ;D
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
I posted this a LONG time ago but learned with 90% confidence that it's the end to a 19th century walking cane. Just thought I'd share for our historical archive.
thanks for the update.
 
Upvote 0
dont forget the green check
 
Upvote 0
My Great Grandmother had ones just about the same on one of here chest type Box , it was supposed to be a stylized Elephant and was used to open the drawers in the writing desk part . This thing was for traveling and carried about everything you needed.
You might check these and see if it was the same as what I saw.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom