ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burying items of value has taken place since the cave days.
And continues today.
Never has stopped.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam
Which volume of Connecticut has the mistakes?

As stated before, I agree with Karl V. that the best books on Treasure Hunting does not have those two words in their titles. For research, I prefer to read history books, old newspapers, interview local people with great knowledge. I just purchased 6 books on Connecticut, and none of them have "Treasure Hunting" in their titles. I only search for single coins and buried treasures in Connecticut. I do not read treasure magazines, or books like Terry, on treasures and their locations. Good luck and good hunting.

S

stefen

This sounds like a kindergarten playground trio seeing who can pee the furthest...

tonymc2

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2012
Jasper,Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My next door neighbors buried money in there flower beds had no grass but had flower beds with tin cans with rocks in them so when the armadillo came at nite to dig they would rattle the cans and you would hear a shot gun go off in the nite,They were pretty old and traveled when times was hard during the great depresson to find work and worked on hoover dam but saved all there money,When they passed away they left a map to money all over there yard and I watched them with a flash lite dig it up.When banks failed people buried there money and there is alot to be found out there.I feel more lucky finding a hord of coins than winning the lotto.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the people who lived through the great depression became much more prone to distrusting the banks and keeping stores of food and money. the only cache I have found was in the home of one.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many banks went broke during that time, most people who had money in banks, lost all their money. Many farmers kept their money home to pay mortgages, seeds, and to purchase animals.

Last edited:

tonymc2

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2012
Jasper,Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are alot of money out there to be found,People that buried there money had seen times pretty tough when the depresson hit and banks failed people traveled all over the us to find employment and saved every penny they could get,There are more hordes to be found out there,My grandfather buried money in his yard and if wasnt for my uncle watching him going to his money stash no one would have ever known he had around $10,000 in mason jars in his yard!!

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burying items of value has taken place since the cave days.
And continues today.
Never has stopped.
========================================================
Oh yes,,,,Personally I think it foolish to place all your "eggs" into "digital" form.
There is nothing like METALS to allow you to get what you want or need.
Whether those "metals" are gold, silver or lead.
A personal "cache" is definitely a good idea.
Now as far as telling someone,,,,,, THAT is another thread in itself.

Hit

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
One Man's Treasure may have been another Man's "Trash"!

Platinum.jpg

An interesting story told in my back yard of the woods has to do with the early Gold Miners of BC.

While digging for gold they would come across this blackish metal and many not knowing what it was, would toss it in a can and eventually bury it in a corner of their cabin.

Today's Metal Detectors have come across these tins containing this strange metal.

This metal has turned out to be "Platinum"...today's market value...$878.50 US per ounce

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen end the insults and attacks.... You have issue, report it to mods, not on the forum.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cw0909 My wife is Turkish and she has family in Cyprus. I'm not sure about the Greek side but the Turkish side "north side" is illegal. I know an area where there's a sunken city with pottery coins jewelry ect... Pretty cool.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated before, I agree with Karl V. that the best books on Treasure Hunting does not have those two words in their titles. For research, I prefer to read history books, old newspapers, interview local people with great knowledge. I just purchased 6 books on Connecticut, and none of them have "Treasure Hunting" in their titles. I only search for single coins and buried treasures in Connecticut. I do not read treasure magazines, or books like Terry, on treasures and their locations. Good luck and good hunting.
# 23 response to # 16.
Good hunting and good luck.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back 50 years or more people were into savings. Credit was a evil and you only borrowed for things like houses or a car. One story hits home of a man who buried coins he made during his 20 years as a coal miner. They filled three 55 gallon drums. To my knowledge they are still buried where he put them. Another story, my Grand Parents when they died was worth a small fortune, wont say how much. But the fact that our fore fathers were poor is not true at. They knew how to make it and keep it. Knew the value of a dollar. My last lil cache consisted of antique jewelry. No modern thinking is where a lot of folks go wrong.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Rishar:
How about listing them so we all know what to watch out for!
Was the story incorrect, or perhaps the map location was a bit off? Frank

Since you asked nicely, I'll play. I'll address the Kitsap entry, as that's where I live and that's what I'm most familiar with.

KITSA COUNTY (Wrong. It's "Kitsap" County, but that's probably just a spelling error. However, getting the name of the county wrong does not bode well for the rest of it.)

92. NEAR GT: Port Gamble, 5 miles NW Kingston, was a bustling lumber and mill town founded in 1853. (Basically correct. There were a few other bustling lumber and mill towns from the same era in the county but he missed those, which tells me that he didn't read the book from the county historical society - never mind the more obscure oral histories.)

93. GT: Vinland, on Hood Canal...(No, Vinland wasn't a ghost town.)

94. GT: Bangor, on Hood Canal...(It was a village at one point, sort of, but the Navy bought it all in WWII, bulldozed it, and built a base there. As this is the sort of base that may or may not store nuclear weapons, and Bangor was located on the lower side where all the security is, it's basically off limits. I have access to the area and I'm reluctant to go wandering around the woods down there due to the security measures in place. I have a few interesting stories about this area that I can share, but they're not treasure-related and this isn't the thread for them. And yes, it was the sort of base that may or may not have stored nuclear weapons in 1985, so this is not a case of the book simply being outdated. It was most likely just very superficial research, which is actually a forgivable sin for a work of this scope.)

95. GT: Port Madison, on Puget Sound...(No, it's not a ghost town. It's very much a live town. I'm pretty sure that the important parts are on the rez as well, so that's a bit of a complication if you don't know any of the natives.)

96. GT: Port Blakely, 2 miles S Winslow...(Again, basically correct, but not feasible to hunt for a variety of reasons. Admittedly things were different in 1985.)

97. GT: Nellita, on Hood Canal...(No.)

98. GT: Reedville, 5 miles E Belfair...(Never heard of it but I'm familiar with the area, and probably no.)

99. GT: Olalia, on S county line...(It's Ollala, and no, it's not a ghost town.)

Treasure tales he missed that are in no way secrets around here, and while I can't prove any of them are true, I haven't been able to disprove them either:

- Ah Fong's gold. It may just be a fairy tale, but it's a fairy tale that's been around for well over a century...not long after Ah Fong disappeared, actually.

- Linda Hazzard's buried loot at Starvation Heights. Google it. It's a fascinating story - Hazzard and her facility, not the loot...the loot is merely speculation, but it's known that she talked people into willing all of their stuff to her before starving them to death, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there were more deaths (and more money) than what was written down. It's probably a moot point though. She spent basically everything that she had leading up to her death, and her husband doubtless spent the rest of it on booze (vanilla extract was his weapon of choice) after her death. It was certainly not buried in the gully behind the house, as that's where they threw their trash and it's not a nice climb to get down there. Hell, maybe that is where it was, now that I think about it.)

- Mines in the area, primarily around Gold and Green Mountains. These are poorly documented. You'd need boots on the ground to even know that these exist, so he can be given a pass for missing this. I've located a few of them and I have no idea what the miners were looking for...as I said, they're poorly documented, and none of the old-timers know what they were for either.

- Historical gold strikes. No mention at all. They are documented and the old-timers remember them. The old-timers in 1985 would have had firsthand knowledge. I know where the placers were but not were the lode was; if someone found it, it wasn't written down. The map tells all, but I'll let someone else do the panning. Mr. Terry is not the guy to tell you where to look.

- Not a treasure tale, but definitely a ghost town of sorts: the lumber town that used to be in what's now called Manette, but hell, only someone who researched local history would know about that one. Most of the locals don't even know about that. It was mentioned in the county historical society's book, so it's not completely off the radar.

This isn't really a treasure tale, but it's kind of a ghost town: Mission Lake. It's named as such because back in the middle of the 19th century, there was supposedly a mission nearby that was founded to convert the natives. As the story goes, something (disease is normally mentioned, with smallpox being the disease normally named) wiped out enough of the missionaries that the mission became unsustainable, so they went back east. Local lore has it that the building was used as an informal hunting lodge by the local yokels right up into the early twentieth century before it burned down. I wouldn't expect to find a treasure trove there, but that would be an interesting spot to swing a coil over. Is it even real though? If you know where to look, there are a few properties on the lake that have old plum trees not from this area. Given the stories (both written and oral) and the other circumstantial evidence, I think that it did exist and I'm pretty sure that I know where it was. No mention in the book, of course. Vinland (which was never a town, but merely a place name for an area) was apparently far more interesting.

I've got some other stuff but hell, I've said plenty already. In this particular case, the KITSA...err, Kitsap entry is not even a good starting point for further research in most cases. One would do far better by tracking down a copy of the historical society's book, and possibly the Bremerton and PSNS books as well. There are a few more that are worth reading but they're referenced in the ones that I've mentioned. After that, it's newspapers and diaries.

As for the other counties, I haven't spent enough time on them to comment one way or the other, but a quick glance through the neighboring counties produced some probable errors. The Mason County section lists a number of ghost towns that are not and never were ghost towns, and I slapped my head when I saw the bit about John Turnow in Grays Harbor County. To be fair to Mr. Terry in the latter case, many of the locals will tell you the same damned story if you ask them, as few of the people who repeat treasure tales are inclined to research them at all. The evidence was available in 1985 though, so he doesn't get a complete pass on this.

So yeah, mistakes were made, at least as far as they pertain to my little area of the world. The other stuff may be better.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cw0909 My wife is Turkish and she has family in Cyprus. I'm not sure about the Greek side but the Turkish side "north side" is illegal. I know an area where there's a sunken city with pottery coins jewelry ect... Pretty cool.
You total confuse me. Best of luck in finding the sunken city.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Dave, I had my doubts about you, but I must admit you did a great job on that reply!

I have found some of his GT locations to be a bit off and I found one out in AZ that had about 20 people living there. Come to find out, It was a GT and it is being rediscovered and fixed up. Now you have to realize that Terry attempted to cover the entire USA in his research. He was primarily a writer, but also a TH.
His information is from many years of research notes in his files that were gathered before the internet. If you read the General Information in the front of any of the ten volumes, you will see that he admits to errors. That sections gives you some tips also. What really gets me is how he attempted to show each location on maps.
The way I look at him is he's gone now but he left a great deal of info to help me. I bought the first edition of the 10 volume set and believe me it has paid for itself many times over.

Hay thanks again for your honest reply. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread