Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I returned to the Grove that is across from a school that was built in 1924. Among my first 2 or 3 coins was a silver Roosevelt Dime. It is always nice to start a hunt with a silver coin. Within an hour, I had another silver dime. It too was a Roosevelt. I was starting to wonder, Where are all the Mercury Dimes?? Well, about an hour passes and I got a nice little screech with a solid 12-45 signal. Out of the hole come a 1920 Mercury dime. I checked the reverse with my loupe. I was really surprised to see a nice crisp "s" mint mark. Especially since the obverse is worn.
Another hour passes and I get a chirp with a bouncing signal. I'm thinking silver dime or iron. It is another Mercury Dime.
Now I'm starting to wonder, Where are all the silver quarters. lol
Sure enough, a little while later, I got a nice solid 12 - 47 at 7 inches. It was accompanied by an high chirp. Not a scream like the E-Trac, but definitely a little something extra. (Another thing I noticed is that the CTX needs a slow sway instead of a swing. At least that seems to be what is working for me.)
Out of the hole, I pulled a six inch plug. In the hole staring up at me is the reeded edge of a silver quarter. It turns out to be a silver Washington.
If I was going with a faster swing, I probably would have missed this coin.
I had 5 silver coins and a bunch of wheat pennies in my coin pocket. There was also a good day's take of clad coins in my treasure pouch. I would be going home a happy camper. It was getting dark, but before calling it a day, I got another Silver Quarter signal at 7 inches. I dug it out and I see a flying eagle. Flip it over and I have a no date Standing Liberty Quarter.
It's raining today but if it wasn't, it's a sure bet that you would find me in the "THE GO SLOW ZONE"
IMG_3475.JPG IMG_3474.JPG IMG_3472.JPG IMG_3473.JPG IMG_3476.JPG

Upvote 15

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a ton of fun digging all that silver and those wheats. Sound like a good place to go slow. Great hunt :thumbsup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
"THE GO SLOW ZONE"

Great digs man. That's a good day and don't those high clean chirps down 7-8" sound so sweet?! Nice SLQ: 1917-1924. Not a '22

Last edited:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer hunt!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You did a whole lot of digging! And you had one of those rare days. Great finds.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the half dozen shiny coins! Well played.

I sure do envy you guys in the North.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, 6 silvers in one hunt. :occasion14: I sure would like to know how that feels someday. You certainly are hard to please. Dig a few and then question where the other varieties and denominations are? Hey it worked for you, maybe I need to try that? :notworthy:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and wishing you continued success. I'm betting there's still coins there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions