Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I wasn't ready to write about this until today..something happened to me Sunday morning and it's imperative to let as many people know about it as I can..both new and seasoned detectorists need to hear it.

I was at a grade school Sunday that I had been to at least 4 times before..I never had any problems and there was never anyone else around, that is, until my last hunt.

I was pretty far out into a soccer field and very far away from my truck. I noticed a person on a bicycle riding on the blacktop in the distance. He seemed to be looking my way every so often. After a few minutes I looked over and he was gone.

About 10 minutes later I was walking back toward the entrance of the field and continued to search a grade above the playground, still a good distance from the parking lot. There was a wooded area to the left, then the field in the center, then far to the right were houses, the back yards facing the field.

As I was checking this area, a guy walking a bicycle seemed to come out of the woods, walked a few steps and started looking on the ground. The guy yelled out, "I found somethin'!" So I looked over and saw he was looking at me from a distance. "I said, "What did you find?" Then he said, "A GUN!" I said, "What?" He said a second time, "A GUN!!"

I saw him pick something up, and from where I was standing it was indeed the size of a handgun, and it looked like he was holding it by the barrel. Immediately I sensed there was something very wrong with this picture, so I didn't take one step in his direction. The last thing I said was, "You can have it!" I shut my detector off and started walking very fast toward the parking lot.

When I turned around to see how far away the guy was, he let go of his bike, stopped, and poised himself in a stance that made me aware he was aiming whatever was in his hands DIRECTLY AT ME. Right then I thought shots were going to ring out any second, so I began to run as fast as my tired legs would go (I detected for over an hour before this happened).

As I was getting closer to the lot where I could see my truck, I stopped to turn around again. The guy then stopped, put the hood up on his jacket, and proceded to walk with the bike toward me.

The whole scene began to feel surreal, and at one point it was almost as if I was watching myself running away from this unknown thug. I could feel my heart beating and hear myself breathing. The only thing I was able to do was run. I didn't think my digging tool was any match for a firearm in the hands of some idiot.

I made it to the truck, unlocked the door, threw my detector in, turned on the ignition and floored it. As I got to the end of the lot (next to the main road) I dialed 911 on my cell phone. I looked back, and the guy got on the bike and started riding it once he got to the parking lot.

When he was getting closer I made a right onto the main road and parked on the shoulder. The guy crossed the main road on his bike, so I U-turned, trying from a distance to keep an eye on where he was going. The police got there pretty fast, but I lost the guy and never got a call back from anyone.

The scenario I have described was exactly how I remember it, as I have gone over it a hundred times in my head. I made two mistakes..I wasn't hunting in a familiar area (although I was less than 8 miles from home) and I didn't call to leave a message to my wife so she would know where I was.

The outcome of this could have really been disastrous if I had been farther out in the field. If the guy would have come out of the woods then, I would have been trapped and no one would have seen anything.

Thank God I was able to come home again to see my family and to be able to even write these words of warning. Needless to say, I will NEVER go alone to an area I'm unfamiliar with.

Be careful out there.

Nat

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
That is CRAZY. the things people do today make me sick! I hope karma has a something good in store for that piece of $!@# >:( . Very glad you came out of that situation alright Natman. Be Safe!

HH, Kiko

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The solution is very simple,......CCW! and the things to use it if necessary.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
This stuff happens.Just try to have a plan of some kind ahead of time.Be thankful that he didn't just go to your truck and wait for you.Stay safe.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Montauk3 said:

Thanks for the reply..not to turn this subject into a debate, but concealed carry is prohibited on school grounds in our area, according to local police..don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to see what he had vs. my Browning 9mm, but if I'd have killed the guy I'd be in jail..yeah I know it doesn't make any sense..

Nat

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Natman said:
Montauk3 said:

Thanks for the reply..not to turn this subject into a debate, but concealed carry is prohibited on school grounds in our area, according to local police..don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to see what he had vs. my Browning 9mm, but if I'd have killed the guy I'd be in jail..yeah I know it doesn't make any sense..

Nat

Glad to hear the outcome Nat, Very lucky.

I agree with you on the CCW, There are areas that I hunt sometimes when I have to leave the Kel Tec at home.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nat,
Thanks for the warning. I usually hunt alone and whenever I get the least bit feeling that something is not right I high tail it right out of there. There was only one time that I had two people that I thought were up to no good between me and my truck so I keep detecting away from them until I saw a car driving by and I went straight for the car. I also pretended to make a call on my cell phone at one point just to make them think I was talk to someone in case they tried something.
NJ

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
+1 on CCW. Glad your ok.

So the guy who was pointing at you was breaking the rule of having a gun on school property???

He probably didn't know the rules. Criminal usually don't follow rules made for honest citizens.

Isn't there something about defending your life vs a misdemeanor in a court of law?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Don't be too hard on yourself about this, really.

Something like this is terrifying, no doubt, but you would have had no way of preparing for or knowing that something like this would ever happen, much less on school grounds. This is the sort of incident that could happen anywhere, at any time, to anyone.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't have your own weapon with you on school grounds, but do your CCW laws allow you to carry a gun in your vehicle? If so, then park packing, but park off of school grounds. If you can't have it readily on you, at least you know where it is and can get to it in a short period of time.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the replies.

rayray3 said:
Isn't there something about defending your life vs a misdemeanor in a court of law?

I'll have to find out the answer to that one, I really don't know.

af1733 said:
It's unfortunate that you couldn't have your own weapon with you on school grounds, but do your CCW laws allow you to carry a gun in your vehicle?

Yes, I believe I could carry in my vehicle..but you'd think law abiding citizens that don't even have a parking ticket to their name could carry anywhere..look at the school shootings for God's sake..because of the laws, teachers can't carry - after years of gun violence in and outside the classroom, you'd think at least some school faculty could be able to defend themselves AND their students should the need arise.

And what if I had my piece in my truck and was able to get to it..what would I have done? Once I was in the safety of my vehicle, it would have been senseless to wait there until he came up to me to see what he would do..I wouldn't even want to think of such an outcome. Then again, if I were allowed to carry anywhere I wouldn't have had a problem displaying my weapon out in that field, and use it if I had to. It would have been nice to have had the tables turned, I would have been just as satisfied to see this thug running for HIS life.

Nat

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Glad your safe, you need to get a 'tectin buddy. Strength in numbers. I/we used to hunt Detroit alot, the old burned out houses. They didn't bother 3-4 guys with big knives...but that's back when they had knife fights instead of gunfights. That sucks brother. Keep that cell phone on ya. Aloha

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Nat - Glad you got the heck out of there. Reading this has definitely freaked me out a bit. I do detect by myself and the parks I've started md'ing are in pretty remote areas. I always keep an eye out for "watchers" and have a tendency to move on when I get "that feeling". Now I'm taking my daughter a lot and that's the last thing I even want to think about.

It's sad when a person can't even go out (alone or with company) to enjoy themselves anymore because of some rat bast*** thinking they're livin' "thug life". I say to them - put the weapon down and let's talk the old fashioned way - with our hands. Animals like that need to be someplace special - underground. Not before getting the beating of their life though (sorry, while I don't condone violence - punishment should fit the crime +10).

Really glad you got out of there Brother - I can only imagine what was running through your head...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Feel doubly bad for you as I have been in similar situations.You try to play by the rules and get shafted by those that don't.
My rule since I am no longer subject to gov't installation total searches and xrays in to carry concealed wherever I go.If no one see's it ,it wasn't needed.If someone see's it, it was necessary and the outcome has been changed in your favor.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
truckinbutch said:
Feel doubly bad for you as I have been in similar situations.You try to play by the rules and get shafted by those that don't.
My rule since I am no longer subject to gov't installation total searches and xrays in to carry concealed wherever I go.If no one see's it ,it wasn't needed.If someone see's it, it was necessary and the outcome has been changed in your favor.

Right On! That's how it should be...

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
You never know how your going to handle your self untill your in a situation like this. Keep a cell phone with you all the time. leaveing a gun in your truck/car can put the gun in someone elses hands real quick not the best idea. Good job Natman stay safe.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
You showed good situational awareness and made the right decisions to respond to the threat

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing. You can't take a digging tool to a gunfight. Clear the area and call for backup.
The funny thing is, is that that crackhead was probably screwing with you and did,nt have a firearm, but found something that looked like a weapon and decided that you were his entertainment for the afternoon.

Regardless, If I was carrying he would be in the morgue and I would be at home enjoying a beer and not regretting the day. Another piece of crap off the streets means more safety for the honest people who live in this country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread