THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all!

That curious Easterly breeze again this mornin.
More than thermals slipping out of the forest into/under the predominant W-N.W. wind as the day heats...
Maybe it's the weather far South causing the shift. Sure don't like the idea of hunkering down down there when the potential for getting washed off formerly dry ground exists. And the heck with stilts...The ancient "latte" and their pillars and capstones of Guam /the Mariana islands make sense to me. Though I'd still dread riding out a storm on one.

The jewels sparkling in the grass tell of no rain coming again. Defying that East breeze's warning.

Hummingbirds plying their trade in the sunny spots among the flowers.
Chickadees visiting briefly.
A robin agitated about something out in the oaks out back ,and not long after a squirrel sounding the alarm a bit farther away. Could be my presence , or more likely a neighbors cat.

Something I can't quite place was sounding like a tired set of wooden spur and crown gears trying to engage. A brief "bruunk" sound.
Maybe an amphibian in the flowers announcing the end of third shift or something... I moved my position to try and spot it with blurry eyes , and it quit.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Morning, mateys! Just checking in. been riding the roller coaster of life. Up down and all around. I am ready to get off, but it won't let me! Gearing up now for the Fall Heroes event. I've been trying to read the thread and stay current with your goings on. I will try to check back in in a couple days. Actually, may have some down time tomorrow. In the meantime, stay safe, find the treasure, and pass the rum! :hello::glasses12:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good afternoon RC & WD. Heading outside to pick some potatoes from the garden or as the French call it potager....lol.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm. Two small potatoes was the result.
There was an early lawn puffball mushroom I didn't investigate...
Dug around a carrot to check ,and it was about pencil diameter.
Still beans available , so we could grab some plantain out of the yard to add to the mix and be able to scrounge up a soup...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RC,

Well a nice hearty soup will hit the spot. I dug up 3 bins of potatoes and haven't weighed them yet but no great shakes maybe 5 lbs tops.

We still have about that much still in the ground which I'll leave until the plants die back further.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hello Dave......whats the next treasure adventure ?

Hi Bart, well for me it's a new permission to visit an old Orange Lodge site on Friday morning. :thumbsup:

The building was constructed in the 1880s as a one-room school house. It was used as a school until the late-1950s when the lodge took it over after it fell out of use.
There's a pretty good chance this site has already been detected though, as it's on a major road out in the country.

I'll just have to hunt slow without discrimination and turn up the sensitivity... hopefully it isn't paved in bottle caps and pull-tabs. :laughing7:

Thanks for asking Bart.

Attachments

• Orange_Lodge_Site_2020-08-19 Google Maps01.png
    Orange_Lodge_Site_2020-08-19 Google Maps01.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2020-08-19 Google Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-19 Google Maps.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 20

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave,

Good luck with the upcoming hunt!

Thanks Bill. :icon_thumright:
I took a drive past it last night with my daughter and saw that it's located on high ground with sandy soil.
My hope is that with the rains we've had the past few days, I should be able to hear those deeper targets.

I just might have to head up there tomorrow and Friday morning. :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

Well after rains I've had the best success by going slow and little or no discrimation as well as overlaps.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on getting a keeper dave. I'd go into the tree line even. Even though the likely hood that has been done before, the new machines can sniff a few more out still.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just dropped off a jar of hot crabapple jelly to one of our neighbours in the court facing us. They're a young couple originally from the North of France with 3 kids.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on getting a keeper dave. I'd go into the tree line even. Even though the likely hood that has been done before, the new machines can sniff a few more out still.

Thanks for the advice Jim, my thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:
There are some old cedars that have been planted across the front of the building, this is one of the first areas I plan to hit.

Hopefully I'll be able to stand up without any assistance from the farmer across the road after swinging on my knees for an hour. :sad1:

I'll let you know if anything old actually pops up... except for me of course! :laughing7:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just dropped off a jar of hot crapapple jelly to one of our neighbours in the court facing us. They're a young couple originally from the North of France with 3 kids.

You're a good neighbour Bill! :notworthy:

Good thing you don't live across the street from me, otherwise I'd be a lot fatter then I already am. :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just dropped off a jar of hot crapapple jelly to one of our neighbours in the court facing us. They're a young couple originally from the North of France with 3 kids.

:laughing7:
You're a great neighbour to have Bill.
Dropping off the"crapapples" them off while they're still hot. :icon_thumright:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill how do you pick up a crapapple?