THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning everyone! I can only compare it to my previous detectors (ACE 300 and crappy old bounty hunter) but I love it! It works great in fields and yards... it filters out iron very nicely and gets some depth. I pulled an 8-inch trime with mine on my first real hunt with it! I don't know how it performs underwater or near saltwater yet though but it is a HUGE step up from the ACE 300 and I've found a bunch of stuff at my old "hunted out" sites.
Thank you for your sharing your thoughts and your finds with us Noah. Based on some of the reviews I’ve read and for the low price, it sounds like a decent detector. :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you on finding Spanish silver when you get down to Florida.
Dave

I would spend the $$$ on a HF coil.
This is good advice Jim, unfortunately it doesn’t look like Nokta offers an HF coil for the Simplex unit. :icon_scratch:
I would also like to put a larger coil on the machine than the standard 11” DD coil that it already comes with.

Antiquarian....there is a forum on TNET on the detector you were asking about... Nokta Simplex
Thanks very much for this xaos, I’ll be sure to check it out.

Read the replies on the machine when placing a quarter at 4" down. Post #7
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/650221-old-nevada-ranch-house-site.html

Thanks for this lead Jim, maybe the reason he couldn’t find it has something to do with the metal composition of the US quarter itself. :dontknow:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Dave

Query: Why would you be interested in a machine that can't see a quarter at 4" unless you remove 4-5 nails from a foot around it, before it would pick it up?
Or have I read that review wrong?

If that was correct-it would exclude just about every home site that has the concentration of iron.
Just off the top of my head I can think of many sites where I have dug out many nails out of the same hole as the keeper, yet the machine still punches through the mask of iron.
Just my early brain not yet on #2 nectar.....
I hear you Jim and as always, I respect your almost 50 years of detecting experience. :thumbsup:
The fact that oldmxrat mentions the problem of the machine not being able to hear the quarter concerns me.

Yep, the Simplex, but I had the discrimination set very low so I could thin out an area of all the square nails to have a chance to see a coin.
I planted a fresh quarter about 4 inches down and the Simplex couldn't pick it out of the trash until I removed 5-6 nails from a 1 foot circle around it.
That's using the 5x8 coil.

I'm going to do more online research and I'll also put this question forward to the members on the CMD site as well. :icon_scratch:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Every time I hear this song by Luke Combs, I can't help but sing along.
I'm fairly sure Ms. WD will be a fan of this tune... but Jim, probably not so much. :laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning AARC, Dave, pepper, Fat, bart and bill

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning to the RCT gang. For those still in working mode happy Friday. I'll see if I can dig up an appropriate tune.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one fudging math exam today, and after I take that I'm running outdoors as fast as I can to detect before the rain comes in. I was out for 15 minutes yesterday and found three pennies, none of them were special.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Rook, Bill and Ethan.

I know I know... it's a chorus of good mornings, but wth. :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave the reference was taken wrong about the HF coil-sorry.

A picture is worth it sometimes....should of...could of......oh well.

Instead of spending the coin on another machine-spend the coin on the HF coil for the machine you are attempting to know.
Because I know that you have the same machine as my machine I know that the HF coil in the iron beats out a few more targets over the big coil.
I heard also you can't do 10acres an hour buddy-I know that just sucks......:laughing7:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one fudging math exam today, and after I take that I'm running outdoors as fast as I can to detect before the rain comes in. I was out for 15 minutes yesterday and found three pennies, none of them were special.
Best of luck to you on your math exam Ethan, hope you get out to swing the coil for a while today too.
We have some above freezing temps and rain coming this weekend, but it's still going to be a few weeks until I get to charge up the Deus for a hunt. :sadsmiley:

I just sent a 'thank you' email to Generac thanking them for my 2nd interview on Wednesday. I also let them know that I'd be very interested in moving to the next stage of the interview process if they found my experience would be a good fit for the company. All I can do now is wait... I understand they were interviewing a couple of others for this position as well.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave the reference was taken wrong about the HF coil-sorry.

A picture is worth it sometimes....should of...could of......oh well.

Instead of spending the coin on another machine-spend the coin on the HF coil for the machine you are attempting to know.
Because I know that you have the same machine as my machine I know that the HF coil in the iron beats out a few more targets over the big coil.
I heard also you can't do 10acres an hour buddy-I know that just sucks......:laughing7:
Good advice on the HF coil though Jim. :thumbsup:
Did you ever end up sending your unit back to XP Detectors for service?
But as far as detecting a 10acre field like this goes... it's no problem for the guy who perfected the 'flapping chicken' approach to swinging the coil. :laughing9:

Attachments

• 20200927_100257_resized.jpg
    20200927_100257_resized.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 17

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Every time I hear this song by Luke Combs, I can't help but sing along.
I'm fairly sure Ms. WD will be a fan of this tune... but Jim, probably not so much. :laughing7:

Yup another "cow flopper in the gum boot" tune it was. (Quote by nephew that inherited 5000 albums of CW-and is a Getty Lee fan)
Yes Dave I listened to it-never will I be the same-A changed man I am-I really to honest truth it won't be my ear worm.

I have to ask "What's with the circle" see enough of that on the screen when downloading.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and wishing everyone a good morning.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good advice on the HF coil though Jim. :thumbsup:
Did you ever end up sending your unit back to XP Detectors for service?
But as far as detecting a 10acre field like this goes... it's no problem for the guy who perfected the 'flapping chicken' approach to swinging the coil. :laughing9:

No actually I haven't called them as we just came out of the lockdown once again it's something that has been on the back burner.
Though it's been tugging at the neck hairs of late-something that i should be doing as the next 2 days are 6-8C melter.
Been busy ordering plants/supplies/parts you know the stuff that you can get from the corner grocer store 5 minutes away-but it's a 1.5-2hr rounder for us.

(In my defence I never called you a chicken flapper) But since you raised the issue.......:laughing7:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edge 540 ,What an air-frame :)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching the neighbors house....if I catch him before he leaves for work ill be able to ask him if I can hunt the cobb spot...he's the caretaker !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions