tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I’ve never researched this but it’s an interesting subject. What made you decide to start this thread, tintin treasure?

OP
OP
T

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Mdog....it is an enduring treasure legend that prompted many generation of adventurers in search of it. But I just wondered if there has been any recent progress in the research and whether are new current working theories in recent years.
TT

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
There would have to be tin deposits to make bronze and I believe there were large deposits in Britain that might have found their way to Phoenicia.

OP
OP
T

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the links mdog,,,i will check them,,,many suggestions in the past from west indies to Solomon islands ,from Ethiopia to Zimbabwe and others have been suggested as possible places of Ophir. What is the rationale for Philippines? thanks
TT

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
First, I want you to know that I’m not a member of the professional treasure hunting community so I wouldn’t know about any progress made by the pros. If the voyage started at the Red Sea and was a three year trip, I would guess that travel would be limited to Southern Africa or the Indian Ocean. Then you have to figure that there were huge deposits of gold and silver and precious jewels. That would narrow the location down some. Then you have to figure out what Solomon had to trade for all of this precious cargo. He must have had something valuable to offer.

OP
OP
T

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is also the work of Tahir Shah who wrote "In Search of King Solomon's Mines" in 2002 in which he describes how he was motivated by an earlier British adventurer named Frank Hayter who wrote "the gold of Ethiopia" in the 1930's. Tahir Shah traveled to western Ethiopia to one fabled mountain in search of the gold mine.

TT

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just want to say that many of the ideas or legends of Biblical figures traveling in an ever-wider circle until they're global navigators may have more in common with the motives of the religious people contemporary to the time that the legends appeared in these "visited" countries.

That was a mouthful! "And did those feet in ancient times.." is what I'm getting at ;)

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm just saying its worth examining the motives of the various peoples throughout history who have claimed ancient Israelites or Christians or Jesus Himself travelled far beyond the sun.

IMO, The Ophir legends (being outside biblical lands) came about when Europeans were exploring the African and American continents and "seeing" evidence of ancient\lost tribe Israelites in Native customs and language. It was all part of the paradigm of laying claim to these lands and wealth. The Crown had eminent domain rights and the Church had a God-ordained duty to spread the Word\Book.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and as the indigenous people of those lands would comment, "There goes the neighborhood"!

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
LOL.. I'm reminded of an satirical British "history lesson" comic strip I read long ago.. about the East India Trading Company. The panels showed a massive British fleet on the horizon as a flagship sails into to the port of Bombay (or similar). The admiral announces "On behalf of The Empire, we are here to trade, whether you like it or not !". The next few panels showed what the "traded goods" were: Britain got their ships loaded up with India's wealth and India got a Union Jack hoisted up a flagpole !

A grossly simplified and condensed account but it gets the point across..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread