What's new

there are days...and then theres...(pics, finally!!)

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are days...and then there's...(pics, finally!!)

This has not been the easiest winter to look for items by the water (which is really the only place I look). One minute warm, the next frozen to the core for days and days. While frozen, the tidal waters would push up in sheets, effectively shoving the beach back onto the beach (or rock back up onto the shore). I have had some days where I've been completely skunked- and took home nearly Anything I could find- be it little green Army man or marble or (if I'm luck) sheds. Other days have been rather remarkable. Here are some insitus and etc. for the better days. And one of a not-so great day. Enjoy!

0323131143.webp 0323131144.webp 0323131319.webp 0323131320.webp

0324131551.webp 0324131552.webp 0325131001.webp 0325131003.webp

0325131004.webp 1216131502.webp 1216131549.webp 0121132022a.webp

That last pic is of Sarah Jane who knocked over my box of favorites...she's forgiven. Barely.
Thanks for looking- and don't forget to turn your clocks back this weekend! (yippy-I-O-kayay!) Yak
 
Upvote 0
Bout time you posted something for us to look at. You have had some great hunts by the finds im looking at.
 
Great finds, thanks for sharing! But don't turn your clock back, or you might be 2 hrs late for work on Monday:laughing7:
 
Yes Rock. It IS about time. It certainly is hard to validate one's knowledge w/o evidence. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Sheesh- I remember when I first logged on- with the likes of Cannonman and Badandy! Thank you for noticing that I existed at all! Yak
 
We all have hard hunts thats what makes it fun. Trust me you are doing well. Just saw the frame you are building in your other post. :thumbsup:
 
I really appreciate you taking time to post your finds. How else would I get to see artifacts from out there? It is cool to see what else comes from where our MD pottery came from. Nice finds, we enjoy seeing them.
 
Pics 5 and 6 , that is a unique piece, to say the least. It has a shape that I normally associate with paleo but lacks the typical paleo flaking style. Do you know much about that blade? Nice finds.
 
Yesterday I did a hunt and found flakes then today I had a good hunt. Not everyday is great.
 
Hey thanks all. NC- that blade is one of very few pieces I've found along this one particular location. It's got a long historic use, which explains the lack of pre-historic material. The things I've found fill one frame only- which is unusual for this area. Considering the Atlantic was roughly 200 miles away, and the land completely unrecognizable to N.A.s even 1000 yrs ago, I'm often amazed I can find anything at all- so much of it washing out as water levels rise. This is a 'partial' of that frame:



0304140959.webp

Yes, the flaking is very wrong for paleo. I think it's just a nicely made- and weighted blade. I don't know the stone. Not the common iron stone, but a very smooth dark red, matte textured stone. Not chert. Sometimes around here you can figure a round-about age just by IDing the lithic. As resident NAs evolved from hunter-gatherer to more agri-based lifestyles, they tended to use more local rock. But this. I don't know. Wild guess is either late Archaic to any Woodland- just because they're so prevalent around here. Findable might be a better word. There are blades I wonder about more than that one.


0304140947.webp 0304140949.webp The 'Painted Pony' next to the rounded piece (the style of which I don't know the name for) is a puzzler. I'll get a better pic up if you want/need/care. Thanks for your curiosity! HH!
Yak
 
Great insitu's and artifacts Yak ! Does the notched point in the first two photos, have a ground base, do you think it is early archaic or a later style? Lots of beautiful and interesting lithics in all the photos. I am drooling.
 
I had to x2 check it Red, but that piece you mentioned is flaked at the base and not ground. TOO BAD! I may have others, tho. I'll check and see what I have. I'd be very pleased to have a ground base side notch. As a matter of fact, I'll pull all the side notches I can find, of similar shape/form. I'll see what I can find. And yes, the lithic around here is simply amazing. Reds, root beer, all shades of jasper, quartz and chalcedony of many opaque-osities, cherts in black, tan, brown (obviously I don't know their names- otherwise I'd say.) Problem is, I know peoples here traded and/or traveled. Quarries aren't too far away (thinking PA- jasper, etc.). I know most of the rock around here was pushed down here by one ice age or another. Hard to know when and how a rock got to where I find it. If I walk along one of my favorite rivers, I see many, many different kinds of rock- many quartzite, but many not. I seem to have an extraordinary variety of rock around here. Wish I knew a geologist to help me out... Yak
 
Its a very nice collection. Im glad you got the pic thing figured out and I have enjoyed looking at your collection. Hope you find many more, rock
 
...looks like you've been "fun" busy there with all of that....and Sarah Jane's a pretty :icon_cat: !
 
Very nice points good stuff !!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom