What's new

They are called Indians, NOT injuns

well I am one of those who says "injun" when I dig an indian penny. The other day I posted that I had dug 4 injuns at an old farm and someone had to post something about me using the word and it was offensive, blah, blah, blah...

It is just another name for a coin, and not intended as anything else. I guess if it bothers someone so bad they really should lighten up. Life is way too short to get offended at everything.
 
Perhaps Liberty would be offended
She was called Mercury :tongue3:

I Call Roosevelt Dimes "Roosies"
& Sometimes Jefferson Nickels
"Weezies"

So far Louise Jefferson Hasn't Complained,
Nor has Roosevelt :icon_pirat:

I'm an american
But if you want to spell it "merykin" More Power to Ya ! :coffee2:

Just Don't Spell my Name wrong
when your Writing me a Check 8)
 
What about the hyphenated names?
Should it be "Native American-Americans"?

I see the Tribes are scalping the "white man" again only now they call it casinos.

And yes, I am part Tslagi. The important part, he he.

Grey
 
so.. Should it be a
Native American head cent ?

That would be wrong too
 
If you want to get technical, the proper terminology would be "Almost Native Americans" as no human is native to the America's. At one of my archaeological digs, I excavated a 1000 year old burial. At the conclusion of our excavation we contacted the local area Tribe so they could oversee the re-burial (we didn't remove the remains, just uncovered and documented them). The chief came and guess what his license plate said???? INJN JHN

If the chief is good with calling himself Injun John, I don't see why people should get their panties in a bunch for referring to indian head pennies as 'injuns'.
 
ALL of you are BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE! If you want to get REAL stinky about it, that is not an indian, injun, or native american on that coin at all. It is Lady Liberty with a headress on. Now sue the designer for the ethnic slur. Lighten up. There. I had to add my TWO CENTS -wheaty-indian-or memorial-or even a two cent piece too. TTC
 
Injun is a derogatory term for the native american. Some of the older Native Americans are offended by the term. My Grandfather and Mother were Choctaw. My wife did not like the term and my kids (Choctaw) do not like the term. Yes they have thier CDIB cards. Me, I am just a na hullo and I do not like the term. However, will the indian head penney ever be called Indian Head vs Injun, don't think so. In this case it is just a slang term referring to a type of coin. So when you all go the the happy hunting grounds, be sure to spend some of your injun heads in the casinos.
 
In a lot of cultures, a name is a very serious thing and taken very serious. In some cultures a name is considered synonymous with the very character of the person and to call them anything less than their name is a major offense. We use a lot of nicknames here at home in America and really don't think much about it because it's just part of our culture and just no big thing to us. However, what is acceptable to one group is just not acceptable to another and we should be able to respect that without being offended when it is brought to our attention. Communication is such an important part of our being able to get along as a large community of people in a nation that is so very much diverse. For the most part, people want to be respected and in understanding that we also understand that not everything is about us. So one of the wisest things we can do is to call people (or groups of people) by their preference of identification and go forward in harmony.
 
I have only found one of those and as far as I can recall, I screamed COIN!!!! :tongue3:
 
And a Buffaloe Nickle is actually a Bison Nickle!

Grey
 
TerryC said:
ALL of you are BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE! If you want to get REAL stinky about it, that is not an indian, injun, or native american on that coin at all. It is Lady Liberty with a headress on. Now sue the designer for the ethnic slur. Lighten up. There. I had to add my TWO CENTS -wheaty-indian-or memorial-or even a two cent piece too. TTC


Damn, you guys are really getting pissy now. I agree with the above. It's an old white lady wearing a feathered headress that was fabricated for a stage show.

A real Indian (eastern version) or an American Injun (US version) would have sickened with this thread by now.

WHERE'S A MODERATOR WHEN YOU NEED ONE?

Bill
 
Willieboy said:
TerryC said:
ALL of you are BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE! If you want to get REAL stinky about it, that is not an indian, injun, or native american on that coin at all. It is Lady Liberty with a headress on. Now sue the designer for the ethnic slur. Lighten up. There. I had to add my TWO CENTS -wheaty-indian-or memorial-or even a two cent piece too. TTC


Damn, you guys are really getting pissy now. I agree with the above. It's an old white lady wearing a feathered headress that was fabricated for a stage show.

A real Indian (eastern version) or an American Injun (US version) would have sickened with this thread by now.

WHERE'S A MODERATOR WHEN YOU NEED ONE?

Bill

Go read the thread. A moderator already made a post in this thread.
 
I thought we were done with this one.
 
HCW said:
I thought we were done with this one.


Sorry I did not see where the thread was closed and noticed other posts as recent as yesterday
I was reading the thread and that statement and the way the sentence was formed stood out as a prime target for some sarcastic devils advocacy type humor, no offense, it was intended strictly as humor..
 
What's a "na hullo" :dontknow:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom