What's new

They are called Indians, NOT injuns

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,358
Golden Thread
0
Location
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.
 
GopherDaGold said:
shaun7 said:
Really..?
Meaning?



I thought it was just being written how it was pronounced and had no idea it was offensive. Doesn't really matter to me as I don't find them.

A lot of our shop keepers are Indian though and have been called much worse I'm sure.
 
I'm 1/8 Cherokee and stuff like that doesn't bother me. If it was directed towards Native Americans for the purpose of being derogatory, that'd be different.
 
shaun7 said:
GopherDaGold said:
shaun7 said:
Really..?
Meaning?



I thought it was just being written how it was pronounced and had no idea it was offensive. Doesn't really matter to me as I don't find them.

A lot of our shop keepers are Indian though and have been called much worse I'm sure.


I'm sure that native American Indians and Indians in the UK are not the same, however the use of derogatoty name calling perpetuates the stigma of racism
 
HI: & UGH: Being that it was a looong, coold, winter, I have a itty bit of Mohican in my genes. 'Injun', by itself. is NOT derogatory. Like anything, it must be taken in the context that it was used.

The same applies to any other group or nationality. I am 'Orish' also, and thoroughly enjoy 'Oirish - Irish' jokes, most of which are certainly Not complimentry.

So why is everyone soo sensitive? Too much simply means an inferiority factor somewhere, instead of being proud of your personal heritage.

Back to our 1776 heritage please, freedom of speach.

Don Jose de La Mancha
 
Back in my younger days,indians sold blankets and beads to us,injuns shot arrows at us!
 
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.
 
bscofield6 said:
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.

Amen! :icon_thumright:
 
Actually Indian is offensive. They need to be called Native Americans.
 
mainer said:
bscofield6 said:
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.

Amen! :icon_thumright:


+1


My ancestors are French on my mother's side and like the Indians were given the boot. Do I receive any benefit from this 250+ years later..... Hell no! So I could give a damn about Indians getting anything for free. As for using the term injun... whatever. I don't even give a F about the sticks and stones. ;D
 
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
bscofield6 said:
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.

Amen! :icon_thumright:


+1


My ancestors are French on my mother's side and like the Indians were given the boot. Do I receive any benefit from this 250+ years later..... Hell no! So I could give a damn about Indians getting anything for free. As for using the term injun... whatever. I don't even give a F about the sticks and stones. ;D

Dam frenchman? Frenchy? Oh hell, I can't think of an offensive name for you? :D

But I can tell you, I sure wish your ancestors hadn't gotten the boot (as you call it). Maybe I'd be finding some of those awesome buttons and coppers here in Alabama. :thumbsup:

Good Luck IP.
 
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
bscofield6 said:
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.

Amen! :icon_thumright:


+1


My ancestors are French on my mother's side and like the Indians were given the boot. Do I receive any benefit from this 250+ years later..... Hell no! So I could give a damn about Indians getting anything for free. As for using the term injun... whatever. I don't even give a F about the sticks and stones. ;D

Dam frenchman? Frenchy? Oh hell, I can't think of an offensive name for you? :D

But I can tell you, I sure wish your ancestors hadn't gotten the boot (as you call it). Maybe I'd be finding some of those awesome buttons and coppers here in Alabama. :thumbsup:

Good Luck IP.


I'm kind of a Frenchy, but not really. I was probably the worst student in every French class I was ever in... especially grade 9 which I failed with flying colors. That said, I still feel I have the right to dig the early relics off land my family settled. :thumbsup:
 
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
bscofield6 said:
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.

Amen! :icon_thumright:


+1


My ancestors are French on my mother's side and like the Indians were given the boot. Do I receive any benefit from this 250+ years later..... Hell no! So I could give a damn about Indians getting anything for free. As for using the term injun... whatever. I don't even give a F about the sticks and stones. ;D

Dam frenchman? Frenchy? Oh hell, I can't think of an offensive name for you? :D

But I can tell you, I sure wish your ancestors hadn't gotten the boot (as you call it). Maybe I'd be finding some of those awesome buttons and coppers here in Alabama. :thumbsup:

Good Luck IP.


I'm kind of a Frenchy, but not really. I was probably the worst student in every French class I was ever in... especially grade 9 which I failed with flying colors. That said, I still feel I have the right to dig the early relics off land my family settled. :thumbsup:

You failed 9th grade french? :o

That aint nothin, I failed 12th grade english. ;D

That was about the time they started teaching everyone to talk like the PA brothers. I didn't want to talk that way so I just skipped class every day. :wink: That's ok, I went to summer school and finished in two weeks. Wish I'd learned that trick a little sooner. :D

One day, I'm coming to hunt some of that land your family settled. :thumbsup:
 
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
bscofield6 said:
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.

It's only offensive if you CHOOSE to take offense to it. It's like calling me a cracker. I could care less.

People just need to get over themselves sometimes. There are far worse things in this world than taking offense to everything.

Amen! :icon_thumright:


+1


My ancestors are French on my mother's side and like the Indians were given the boot. Do I receive any benefit from this 250+ years later..... Hell no! So I could give a damn about Indians getting anything for free. As for using the term injun... whatever. I don't even give a F about the sticks and stones. ;D

Dam frenchman? Frenchy? Oh hell, I can't think of an offensive name for you? :D

But I can tell you, I sure wish your ancestors hadn't gotten the boot (as you call it). Maybe I'd be finding some of those awesome buttons and coppers here in Alabama. :thumbsup:

Good Luck IP.


I'm kind of a Frenchy, but not really. I was probably the worst student in every French class I was ever in... especially grade 9 which I failed with flying colors. That said, I still feel I have the right to dig the early relics off land my family settled. :thumbsup:

You failed 9th grade french? :o

That aint nothin, I failed 12th grade english. ;D

That was about the time they started teaching everyone to talk like the PA brothers. I didn't want to talk that way so I just skipped class every day. :wink: That's ok, I went to summer school and finished in two weeks. Wish I'd learned that trick a little sooner. :D

One day, I'm coming to hunt some of that land your family settled. :thumbsup:



I failed both French and English in grade 9 but they put me through anyway. :thumbsup:


I don't blame you, what language is it they speak?
 
I didn't want to give the impression that I was offended by the term, I'm not in the least. Just wanted to bring it up should someone be butt-hurt about it.
 
When used as a reference to a variety of coin, I think it a bit too PC to complain about the use of the term "injun". Ever heard the term "sticks and stones"? Get over it already...


John
 
GopherDaGold said:
I hate to be that guy but I thought I should bring this to everyones attention. I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

I think we all know that 'injun' is derogatory and offensive to American Indians.

My grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and I'm sure many members here have American Indian blood running through their veins.
YOU KNEW THIS WAS COMING ( the length of this thread).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom