What's new

They are called Indians, NOT injuns

The political correctness gets worse every day. Next thing will be that I have to describe myself as a Caucasian-American. I won't be allowed to just be white, because that will offend somebody.

Jesse Jackson coined the phrase "African-American" because he found the N word that we're absolutely forbidden to even think about any longer so offensive, and even the word "black" had become offensive because most blacks weren't really black any more. The original African blacks for the most part have mixed in the melting pot with all the other races that came to this country from all over the world... So the blacks had as much kike, wop, mick and any other "derisive" term that you can think of in them. The majority of true African-Americans you'll find in the US in today's culture will most likely be immigrants from South Africa, and will be whiter than I am. Well the fact remains that many of the "African-Americans" can trace some of their ancestry back to the country of Nigeria, so sure probably the proper term would have been Nigerian. But the term was shortened and twisted a bit and it was a proper term to use for a person from Nigeria, until it suddenly became a racial slur. In today's society, an African-American is no more African than I am.

I got blasted and accused of being racist on another forum recently for using the term Jew in proper context once, as in "The Jews control Wall Street". WTF? How is it that people can be so politically correct that you cannot define a racial subset of society by their commonly known racial identity? What should I have called them in that context? The Jewish-Americans control Wall Street? People of Jewish ancestory control Wall Street?

I refuse to be called a Caucasian-American. If you want to hyphenate me, you're going to do it properly. I'm an Irish-German-British-Scottish-French-American and I expect to be refered to as such. Or you can just call me an American.
 
bigwater said:
The political correctness gets worse every day. Next thing will be that I have to describe myself as a Caucasian-American. I won't be allowed to just be white, because that will offend somebody.

Jesse Jackson coined the phrase "African-American" because he found the N word that we're absolutely forbidden to even think about any longer so offensive, and even the word "black" had become offensive because most blacks weren't really black any more. The original African blacks for the most part have mixed in the melting pot with all the other races that came to this country from all over the world... So the blacks had as much kike, wop, mick and any other "derisive" term that you can think of in them. The majority of true African-Americans you'll find in the US in today's culture will most likely be immigrants from South Africa, and will be whiter than I am. Well the fact remains that many of the "African-Americans" can trace some of their ancestry back to the country of Nigeria, so sure probably the proper term would have been Nigerian. But the term was shortened and twisted a bit and it was a proper term to use for a person from Nigeria, until it suddenly became a racial slur. In today's society, an African-American is no more African than I am.

I got blasted and accused of being racist on another forum recently for using the term Jew in proper context once, as in "The Jews control Wall Street". WTF? How is it that people can be so politically correct that you cannot define a racial subset of society by their commonly known racial identity? What should I have called them in that context? The Jewish-Americans control Wall Street? People of Jewish ancestory control Wall Street?

I refuse to be called a Caucasian-American. If you want to hyphenate me, you're going to do it properly. I'm an Irish-German-British-Scottish-French-American and I expect to be refered to as such. Or you can just call me an American.



I don't mean to be picky, but British and Scottish? :icon_scratch:
 
Maybe I should have said English to have been more precise. I've got ancestors from both England and Scottland.

I tend to get a little bit hot headed over this whole political correctness and let my fingers out pace my brain sometimes. It just bugs the snot out of me when people suddenly get so uptight over commonly used terms because it might offend somebody else. The Atlanta Braves have been boycotted for years by the "Native-Americans" because they have "Braves" as their team name. Kansas City Chiefs get grief. Our own Lumpkin County Indians have been pressured to change their name. And now we have one of our own telling us we can't call it an injun cent because it might offend somebody. It just makes me ill. It's just a freaking term for a coin. It's not a racial slur.
 
bigwater said:
Maybe I should have said English to have been more precise. I've got ancestors from both England and Scottland.

I tend to get a little bit hot headed over this whole political correctness and let my fingers out pace my brain sometimes. It just bugs the snot out of me when people suddenly get so uptight over commonly used terms because it might offend somebody else. The Atlanta Braves have been boycotted for years by the "Native-Americans" because they have "Braves" as their team name. Kansas City Chiefs get grief. Our own Lumpkin County Indians have been pressured to change their name. It just makes me ill.



I was just joking, I knew you were having a rant and probably wasn't thinking straight :laughing7:

I know what you mean though, it's the same here! Blackboard, Manhole, Bah Bah Black sheep :icon_scratch:

And don't get me started on the compensation culture....health and safety is just ridiculous over here now :-\
 
shaun7 said:
bigwater said:
The political correctness gets worse every day. Next thing will be that I have to describe myself as a Caucasian-American. I won't be allowed to just be white, because that will offend somebody.

Jesse Jackson coined the phrase "African-American" because he found the N word that we're absolutely forbidden to even think about any longer so offensive, and even the word "black" had become offensive because most blacks weren't really black any more. The original African blacks for the most part have mixed in the melting pot with all the other races that came to this country from all over the world... So the blacks had as much kike, wop, mick and any other "derisive" term that you can think of in them. The majority of true African-Americans you'll find in the US in today's culture will most likely be immigrants from South Africa, and will be whiter than I am. Well the fact remains that many of the "African-Americans" can trace some of their ancestry back to the country of Nigeria, so sure probably the proper term would have been Nigerian. But the term was shortened and twisted a bit and it was a proper term to use for a person from Nigeria, until it suddenly became a racial slur. In today's society, an African-American is no more African than I am.

I got blasted and accused of being racist on another forum recently for using the term Jew in proper context once, as in "The Jews control Wall Street". WTF? How is it that people can be so politically correct that you cannot define a racial subset of society by their commonly known racial identity? What should I have called them in that context? The Jewish-Americans control Wall Street? People of Jewish ancestory control Wall Street?

I refuse to be called a Caucasian-American. If you want to hyphenate me, you're going to do it properly. I'm an Irish-German-British-Scottish-French-American and I expect to be refered to as such. Or you can just call me an American.



I don't mean to be picky, but British and Scottish? :icon_scratch:



Yes in those days, different than now if you're questioning why he used both. Or maybe I missed it completely.
 
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
bigwater said:
The political correctness gets worse every day. Next thing will be that I have to describe myself as a Caucasian-American. I won't be allowed to just be white, because that will offend somebody.

Jesse Jackson coined the phrase "African-American" because he found the N word that we're absolutely forbidden to even think about any longer so offensive, and even the word "black" had become offensive because most blacks weren't really black any more. The original African blacks for the most part have mixed in the melting pot with all the other races that came to this country from all over the world... So the blacks had as much kike, wop, mick and any other "derisive" term that you can think of in them. The majority of true African-Americans you'll find in the US in today's culture will most likely be immigrants from South Africa, and will be whiter than I am. Well the fact remains that many of the "African-Americans" can trace some of their ancestry back to the country of Nigeria, so sure probably the proper term would have been Nigerian. But the term was shortened and twisted a bit and it was a proper term to use for a person from Nigeria, until it suddenly became a racial slur. In today's society, an African-American is no more African than I am.

I got blasted and accused of being racist on another forum recently for using the term Jew in proper context once, as in "The Jews control Wall Street". WTF? How is it that people can be so politically correct that you cannot define a racial subset of society by their commonly known racial identity? What should I have called them in that context? The Jewish-Americans control Wall Street? People of Jewish ancestory control Wall Street?

I refuse to be called a Caucasian-American. If you want to hyphenate me, you're going to do it properly. I'm an Irish-German-British-Scottish-French-American and I expect to be refered to as such. Or you can just call me an American.



I don't mean to be picky, but British and Scottish? :icon_scratch:



Yes in those days, different than now if you're questioning why he used both. Or maybe I missed it completely.



Sorry, I never saw any dates mentioned :-\
 
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
bigwater said:
The political correctness gets worse every day. Next thing will be that I have to describe myself as a Caucasian-American. I won't be allowed to just be white, because that will offend somebody.

Jesse Jackson coined the phrase "African-American" because he found the N word that we're absolutely forbidden to even think about any longer so offensive, and even the word "black" had become offensive because most blacks weren't really black any more. The original African blacks for the most part have mixed in the melting pot with all the other races that came to this country from all over the world... So the blacks had as much kike, wop, mick and any other "derisive" term that you can think of in them. The majority of true African-Americans you'll find in the US in today's culture will most likely be immigrants from South Africa, and will be whiter than I am. Well the fact remains that many of the "African-Americans" can trace some of their ancestry back to the country of Nigeria, so sure probably the proper term would have been Nigerian. But the term was shortened and twisted a bit and it was a proper term to use for a person from Nigeria, until it suddenly became a racial slur. In today's society, an African-American is no more African than I am.

I got blasted and accused of being racist on another forum recently for using the term Jew in proper context once, as in "The Jews control Wall Street". WTF? How is it that people can be so politically correct that you cannot define a racial subset of society by their commonly known racial identity? What should I have called them in that context? The Jewish-Americans control Wall Street? People of Jewish ancestory control Wall Street?

I refuse to be called a Caucasian-American. If you want to hyphenate me, you're going to do it properly. I'm an Irish-German-British-Scottish-French-American and I expect to be refered to as such. Or you can just call me an American.



I don't mean to be picky, but British and Scottish? :icon_scratch:



Yes in those days, different than now if you're questioning why he used both. Or maybe I missed it completely.



Sorry, I never saw any dates mentioned :-\


He didn't directly, but referring to his bloodline probably indicates 17th/18th century settlers.
 
"Settlers" to another culture might be called "Invaders".

Some hope to bury the hatchet on this discussion but I get a chuckle how folks get their feathers in a ruffle.

"Tsalagi Rules!" ;D

Grey
 
this is why i dont discuss race or religion ::)
 
Beans said:
shaun7 said:
What's a "na hullo" :dontknow:

It is Choctaw for "white man".

After reading all of the preceding posts, I find it almost obligitory to add my "two cents" worth. (Both Injuns!!)
I am Miccosukee, (Google it,) and the only thing I find offensive about the word injun is the way it's been argued on this post. Quite frankly, as a child, I was called much worse. It only took one fist-fight for the word to get around that it wasn't a good idea to call me "Swamp Nigger". :laughing9:

If I were called that today, my response would be: "Are you so insecure in you life that you have to try to make me look smaller"?? Hey Dude, it's not working!! :laughing9:

So, since I'm one of those "older Native Americans" mentioned above, my feelings for the ones trying to be so politically correct is:

istee hadjo!

We should be more concerned about the fact that we are all from the same Creator and as such, we are all one. (Wow, I sound like a "New Ager".) :laughing9: :laughing9:

Words are used too much to cover guilt, or our true feelings. So, just let it go. I'm not, and never have been offended by the name; Injun. I just consider the source, and give him/her my blessings.

Love and Respect,

Eagle (Wambli)
 
The more I see this thread the More I get Confused.

Fact is If you read the first post,
He is talking about Coins.

Not People Past,Present, or Future.

I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

How can you Offend a Coin ?

& If that's offensive
so is

"Roosie", "Buffs" What about "Jeffs" To all
us Jeffs out there ? :tongue3:

Will calling the word Clad a Mutt,
offend somone of Mixed Race ?
or offend their Dog ?

Will Silver offend the Lone Rangers Horse ?

Can you call an Indianhead cent Tonto ?

Is calling it what it is
"Liberty Head" Offensive because your
ignoreing Indians by calling it
Liberty ?

Will misspelling Kennedy Half
a Kenny Haf Offend the Kennedy Family ?

how about a Linklon Penny ?
Or I Found the Missing Linc ?

Seriously it's a coin it has no Feelings !

Maybe I Just don't get what Indians,
or any other race for that matter needs to be so
Sensitive these days. isn't there a Million
things we all can get or complain about,
just because of who we are ?
 
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Great Jeff!!!! I LOVE IT.
 
My great grandmothers on both sides were full blood Cherokee Indian. My grandmother was a obout 3/4 Cherokee as she had one full on both sides of her family. For some reason she married a Miller and told everyone she was German. She tried to hide the fact that she had a lot of indian blood for some reason and didn't get on the roles, therefore my family is not registered as Cherokee Indian although we are probably more Indian than the Chief! She was born in 1888 and was in Indian Territory before Oklahoma statehood. That may have been why she didn't want the government to know she was Indian? But Indian is a misnomer anyway. Indians are from India. I suppose Nastive American would be more proper, but Grandma herself referred to Native Americans as Injuns. I think that was part of the coloquial language she grew up with? Her hometown was Madill, Ok down south near the Texas border. Some of the Texicans were still fighting the Comanchee to some degree at that time. She saw the last of the old west and real "Wild Injuns". She migrated to Madill from the Cherokee reservation in NE Oklahoma in a covered wagon. That's the end of that story that I know so far. I am researching it further as I have time. Monty
 
Good story Monty, similar to my husband's and such a frequent story around here. ??? Whatever they are called, thank God they weren't totally wiped out, they have a telling story to tell. They are people, deserved to be treated the way you would want yourself to be treated. Ya'll really think about their recent history. The next time you dig up a relic, or coin, or point , ask yourself what was the condition of the indigenous people at the time your treasure was lost. Yeah, I understand the ways of humanity, and the spoils go the victor, BUT, we know their story, it can't/shouldn't be ignored. Call a coin an injun if you have too, just give a little thought to the word. Just give some consideration to the story.
 
jeff of pa said:
The more I see this thread the More I get Confused.

Fact is If you read the first post,
He is talking about Coins.

Not People Past,Present, or Future.

I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

How can you Offend a Coin ?

& If that's offensive
so is

"Roosie", "Buffs" What about "Jeffs" To all
us Jeffs out there ? :tongue3:

Will calling the word Clad a Mutt,
offend somone of Mixed Race ?
or offend their Dog ?

Will Silver offend the Lone Rangers Horse ?

Can you call an Indianhead cent Tonto ?

Is calling it what it is
"Liberty Head" Offensive because your
ignoreing Indians by calling it
Liberty ?

Will misspelling Kennedy Half
a Kenny Haf Offend the Kennedy Family ?

how about a Linklon Penny ?
Or I Found the Missing Linc ?

Seriously it's a coin it has no Feelings !

Maybe I Just don't get what Indians,
or any other race for that matter needs to be so
Sensitive these days. isn't there a Million
things we all can get or complain about,
just because of who we are ?
Jeff u hit the nail on the head! I couldn't explain it better myself! So glad you posted this!
 
Good story Monty.
My G'ma was born in Indian Territory also (1900) and did the covered wagon west trip.
I was told lots of folks were embarrassed about Indian Heritage.
(She was 1/2 Cherokee).
Then the 1960s and being Indian was cool.
Times change.
CherokeeSealTwo.jpg


Grey
 
Hell I was a fat kid and a cracker, get over it already... I've heard far worse than that... :tongue3:
 
jeff of pa said:
The more I see this thread the More I get Confused.

Fact is If you read the first post,
He is talking about Coins.

Not People Past,Present, or Future.

I've seen several posts by members describing their Indian Head Cents as 'injuns'.

How can you Offend a Coin ?

& If that's offensive
so is

"Roosie", "Buffs" What about "Jeffs" To all
us Jeffs out there ? :tongue3:

Will calling the word Clad a Mutt,
offend somone of Mixed Race ?
or offend their Dog ?

Will Silver offend the Lone Rangers Horse ?

Can you call an Indianhead cent Tonto ?

Is calling it what it is
"Liberty Head" Offensive because your
ignoreing Indians by calling it
Liberty ?

Will misspelling Kennedy Half
a Kenny Haf Offend the Kennedy Family ?

how about a Linklon Penny ?
Or I Found the Missing Linc ?

Seriously it's a coin it has no Feelings !

Maybe I Just don't get what Indians,
or any other race for that matter needs to be so
Sensitive these days. isn't there a Million
things we all can get or complain about,
just because of who we are ?
I see where you are going with this but by your logic, (and apparently others as well) it's ok to call a Filbert nut a N-gg-r toe because we are talking about legumes, not people.
Sorry, doesn't fly.
 
GopherDaGold said:
I see where you are going with this but by your logic, (and apparently others as well) it's ok to call a Filbert nut a N-gg-r toe because we are talking about legumes, not people.
Sorry, doesn't fly.
that is your opinion, looks like others here disagree with you
 
Someone email and ask Tom Laughlin. It is the only way we will ever REALLY know...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom