Thinking on getting a box of quarters, suggestions please!!!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done penny boxes and have done quite well, never gotten an Indian cent or a steelie, but got from all decades including a 1909s.
For nickels, I am missing a couple dates for my book: 38d 38s 39d 39s 46s 48s 50d 51s... 42d 45d...
For dimes: I've gotten 2 silver dimes from 1 box, and the other 2 were skunks. Ratio of silver dimes to boxes, 2:3
Half dollars: searched 4 boxes, 3 skunks and 1 box had one 1964 and six 40%ers (my first ever)

I was thinking on getting a box of quarters next time I dump at my local bank which has a customer operated coin counter which is free to all members. Charges 6% to all non-members. I am a member of that bank.

Do you suggest I do my first box of quarters?
What luck have you had searching quarters?
Are quarter boxes consistant?
Worth the time?

Please any suggestion or results, Pictures would be awesome! I need advise whether to get a quarter box or not. I know plenty of you people have mixed feelings on quarters, but I need some opinions.

Thanks, BuffaloBoy

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Jasonstar94

Feb 23, 2011
I've heard that quarters are the worst coins to go through. Some people have gone through boxes of them without finding any silver quarters whatsoever.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
I've never searched a box, but have found a few silver quarters in hand rolls.
good point, I forgot to mention that these would be $500 boxes of Brinks machine wrapped rolls (plastic I believe)
Banks in my area never have CWR's since a large branch has a machine coin counter... Thanks for the input.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
try to get 2 or more boxes of half dollars a week if possible. if not go with 2 boxes of dimes, i found quarters to be a huge waste of time

based on your half dollar experience you didn't give it much of a chance. but 1x 90% half in a box would beat any other boxes of denominations...

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
two Ifs

If they are clear plastic rolls
If you are an edge searcher

Then buy as many as they can sell you. Even if you only get one quarter out of 5 boxes, who cares, you can do a box in 10 minutes!!

Be prepared for disappointment. Many people here would say getting a silver quarter after only 5 boxes searched is extremely optimistic.

I've never done quarters so I have no personal statistics on them.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
gotgot said:
two Ifs

If they are clear plastic rolls
If you are an edge searcher

Then buy as many as they can sell you. Even if you only get one quarter out of 5 boxes, who cares, you can do a box in 10 minutes!!

Be prepared for disappointment. Many people here would say getting a silver quarter after only 5 boxes searched is extremely optimistic.

I've never done quarters so I have no personal statistics on them.

i pulled one out of 10+ clear wrap boxes i would say :(, but yea very quick to search. but i never did the bring full box bank to bank thing... i hate being questioned so never did it

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input, I'll stick with dimes, nickels, pennies and half dollars.

I am going to most likely order 2 boxes of half dollars this week. (I do not do 20 boxes at a time and only have 1 dump bank)

Plus don't have funds at this time to do more than $1,500...

I get boxes of coins and dump at the same bank since it has a coin counter. The employees all know me in there and there really is no issue.
Next time I dump my bucket of $400 i'm going to get a box of dimes and a box of nickels.

I get half dollars from another bank which can order me as many as I want with no fee at all no problem as long as I don't turn them back in (Obviously!!!)

Haven't CRH'ed since 3/8/11 when I got skunked on 2 boxes of half dollars...

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Quarters are really easy to edge search and really easy to dump. Unfortunately, my average is about 1 silver out of every $1,500 I search.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If quarters are easy for you to obtain, why not just ask for some rolls each time you are in the bank?

I ask for 2 or 4 rolls of dimes each time I'm at a bank, but I'm at a bank 3 or 4 times a week. I still haven't found a silver dime, but at least I'm trying. Quarters are so easy to dump....adding 8 rolls of quarters when you dump would be super easy.

FWIW, when I get 4 rolls of dimes, I flip those dimes for 2 rolls of quarters at another bank.

The clerk at the post office got 15 silver quarters a few months back, and the woman spending them said they came out of a roll she had just gotten at a bank.

It is all about volume, right?

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
My best return on a $500 bag of quarters is 3, but I have done that 3 times. I average 2 quarters per 5 bags. The dimes bags that I search are sweeter than the dime boxes, people here talk about, so if the same holds true for quarter boxes, don't expect much. On the other hand, quarters are easy to dump and the clear wrappers won't take much time at all.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
so far this year ive done 2 boxes of quarters...each one had a silver washington in it. (1961d & 1964d) hope this helps! keep it up and hh!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Work in a hobby shop where I go through many clear rolls of Quarters. I check everyone of them I see. Granted that I am not there on the weekends but that still is five days a week. Over the last two years, I have found two silver quarters.. They are truly rare to find in rolls now.

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
first box of quarters i did had a 1936 and a low-leaf wisconsin error. been through 6-7 more boxes over the past two years and have found nada. got a 1956 quarter back as change about two weeks ago but i didn't notice it until i pulled it out of my change hole in my car. really really really wish i was paying attention so i could go back and buy all of their quarters :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man...Its hard to just simply say you wont find any silver quarters if you get a box..

I say this because last year I bought around 800 in dimes..and never found one..and Latley Ive been getting 100 at a time, and score almost everytime..

I know people love hearing there are all these mathmatical equations to how many per whatever :read2: ..The fact is...When did someone drop some silver to the bank

I used to feel that there were some sort of ratio, but after reading this forum for the last year..everyone has different experiances..

Dude..Go for the quarters!!!...Im sure in 5 months when someone comes across a box with some silver Quarts..it will change your tune :thumbsup:

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I JUST started CRH'ing about 10 days ago. So far, I have been through $500 in quarters and $400 in dimes.

Results:
Dimes - 3 (64, 59 & a Merc)
Quarters: big fat 0

Sticking with the dimes and halves for me :) dimes have been treating me pretty well.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried searching two boxes last month, but never found anything.. Give it a shot buff. Who knows, maybe they will produce for you since no one seems to hunt them.. Keep us updated with your finds.. BTW its great to see you posting again.. Good to have you back..

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried searching two boxes last month, but never found anything.. Give it a shot buff. Who knows, maybe they will produce for you since no one seems to hunt them.. Keep us updated with your finds.. BTW its great to see you posting again.. Good to have you back..

Check out the original date for this topic.
For the person that bumped it, it's better to start your own topic.
HH
enamel7

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done penny boxes and have done quite well, never gotten an Indian cent or a steelie, but got from all decades including a 1909s.
For nickels, I am missing a couple dates for my book: 38d 38s 39d 39s 46s 48s 50d 51s... 42d 45d...
For dimes: I've gotten 2 silver dimes from 1 box, and the other 2 were skunks. Ratio of silver dimes to boxes, 2:3
Half dollars: searched 4 boxes, 3 skunks and 1 box had one 1964 and six 40%ers (my first ever)

I was thinking on getting a box of quarters next time I dump at my local bank which has a customer operated coin counter which is free to all members. Charges 6% to all non-members. I am a member of that bank.

Do you suggest I do my first box of quarters?
What luck have you had searching quarters?
Are quarter boxes consistant?
Worth the time?

Please any suggestion or results, Pictures would be awesome! I need advise whether to get a quarter box or not. I know plenty of you people have mixed feelings on quarters, but I need some opinions.

Thanks, BuffaloBoy

First off, hells yea search 'em. I average 1 silver quarter per 3 boxes. not bad!

what do you mean you haven't' found a 50d nickel, I'm almost positive you posted one of these a few months ago??

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh hahahah just realized your posting date! you have found that 50d!!!!!!! congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread