What's new

Thought it was a Geofact

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one and thought it was an odd shape. I didnt post it because I thought another rock. I kept is cause the shape was different. I was told it was a Hammer Stone and was told not all had the dimple in the top probably due to the type of stone it is made from it just didnt last as long as they wanted it to. Another add to my collection.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3380.webp
    100_3380.webp
    167.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_3383.webp
    100_3383.webp
    131.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_3381.webp
    100_3381.webp
    217 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I didn't see anything that suggests man-made with N.C.'s
Photos.. if you look at the photo of rocks that shows the edge you can see where chips have been removed in a line across the edge.
 
Can someone help me understand what you are seeing that tells you these are man made objects? No disrespect intended but they just look like smooth rocks to me (especially the ones posted by the other members) and I am very curious. Thanks, Blair

Do an internet search of discoidal artifacts.
 
Can someone help me understand what you are seeing that tells you these are man made objects? No disrespect intended but they just look like smooth rocks to me (especially the ones posted by the other members) and I am very curious. Thanks, Blair

No, I understand where you are coming from. In fact, I'm curious to know my self. I find these once in a while out in fields, not often. I wanted to see if anyone knew if these are...well....anything. They remind me of a crude version of these game pieces.

image-4068571674.webp

Sorry to stomp all on your post Rock!! I'm done!
 
Rock, your second pic in your second set caught my eye. Looks like an indention for a thumb. I think this is a form of pecking stone. My guess, mine alone, based on my observations of your picture. I think you have a keeper!
 
I have seen very few discoidal shapes before. Rock the stone you found looks like their was some type of work applied around the edge. I cant tell if it done intentionally or not, That doesn't suggest that it is man-made either. However, rounded stones are intriguing, as if created for the purpose of holding in your hand or some to roll on the ground. When I'm out and see them I have to pick them up. Ever heard of Chunkey? Kinda looks like NC has found some Chunkey game stones. That's interesting!
 
Last edited:
Mr. Tallfeather does a pretty good job explaining things.
 
No, I understand where you are coming from. In fact, I'm curious to know my self. I find these once in a while out in fields, not often. I wanted to see if anyone knew if these are...well....anything. They remind me of a crude version of these game pieces.

View attachment 808041

Sorry to stomp all on your post Rock!! I'm done!

N.C those are great finds. They are considered clay discoidals probably for gaming. Here is a stone discoidal or chunky game stone a friend let me take a pic of..They will have a cupulet if for the game.



100_1384.webp
 
Mr. Tallfeather does a pretty good job explaining things.

Who is Tallfeather? TN. Are you certain all discoidal game stones have a concave face? I have a friend that found the most beautiful polished disk shaped stone. His find had no dings or scars to insinuate being a tool of any sort. Strange thing is, neither did it have the concave face present on most game disks. I really wish I had a pic of it. I know I have posted some natural pieces, thinking they were artifacts, but the disk my buddy found is a no brainer.
 
I don't think they have to really. Even if yours was, looking at the age of them, they may have been wore flat over time anyway.
 
Not all disc were made the same way. @ NC I believe what you showed are game pieces in the last photo almost looks like clay disc to me or pottery. Mine is stone and I dont believe it is finished by the bottom cause it is flat. Also the one you describe that your friend found sounds like a door knob discoidal. They are more rare than the normal round ones. The one Tnm posted is a rare type also. Mine if finished would of been the normal style if it is a disc. Its a preform I would say.
 
Rock, here is the piece that yours reminded me of at first. After relocating this piece, I see yours is not as weathered and probably more likely to be an artifact. Lol! I found this on the same river that I found the clay ones on. Just thought of something. We used to find those clay pieces frequently in VA. I bet I haven't found a whole one in 4 or 5 years. Any way... Since I found this thing, I'll post it for comparison.

image-741458359.webp



image-1176987665.webp



image-1960981619.webp



image-2556653661.webp
 
Personally I didn't see anything that suggests man-made with N.C.'s
Photos.. if you look at the photo of rocks that shows the edge you can see where chips have been removed in a line across the edge.
You have allot of good knowledge and I think you are cool and funny at times. Thanks for the help and taking the time on this.
 
I found one today but it was made from sandstone and shells. I pitched it I knew it was a geofact.
 
Ok, I remembered my 4-yr old picking this up a few months back and wanting to keep it. I thought it had been caused by erosion and forgot about it. I just found it in his toy box and thought I'd get your opinion.

image-2345720660.webp



image-2091522049.webp
 
Who is Tallfeather? TN. Are you certain all discoidal game stones have a concave face? I have a friend that found the most beautiful polished disk shaped stone. His find had no dings or scars to insinuate being a tool of any sort. Strange thing is, neither did it have the concave face present on most game disks. I really wish I had a pic of it. I know I have posted some natural pieces, thinking they were artifacts, but the disk my buddy found is a no brainer.

Sometimes I don't think you read the posts..LOL.
Not all discoidals are concave... there are conical ones like shown in the video with the link above "Mr. Tallfeather" is on the video.. there are biscuit discoidals that I posted examples of.. there is the clay ones that you posted .......all not concave. ????
 
You have allot of good knowledge and I think you are cool and funny at times. Thanks for the help and taking the time on this.

You got it man... watch that video link above.. it explains some things.
 
Can someone help me understand what you are seeing that tells you these are man made objects? No disrespect intended but they just look like smooth rocks to me (especially the ones posted by the other members) and I am very curious. Thanks, Blair

Well with hardstone often times it is the general shape that gives away what it is. Other times, wear or use makings are obvious. Often times a geofact will resemble a relic and cause quite a lot of unnecessary hope, dreams and excitement.

Yes, you are going to see a lot of "just rocks" debitage, and geofacts around here these days. Imaginations often run wild too, so I'd take most opinions with a grain of salt.

The piece that started this thread, is most likely a pecking stone. All imagination aside, and judging solely from the size, shape, and obvious use wear showing of the piece (the beat up edge), it was most likely used to peck or chip away at another stone to make the groove one often sees on some axes and hammer types. There is nothing about the piece to indicate mano, discoidal or game stone, except the general shape of the stone that is not at all uncommon, and a few wild imaginations.
 
Well with hardstone often times it is the general shape that gives away what it is. Other times, wear or use makings are obvious. Often times a geofact will resemble a relic and cause quite a lot of unnecessary hope, dreams and excitement.

Yes, you are going to see a lot of "just rocks" debitage, and geofacts around here these days. Imaginations often run wild too, so I'd take most opinions with a grain of salt.

The piece that started this thread, is most likely a pecking stone. All imagination aside, and judging solely from the size, shape, and obvious use wear showing of the piece (the beat up edge), it was most likely used to peck or chip away at another stone to make the groove one often sees on some axes and hammer types. There is nothing about the piece to indicate mano, discoidal or game stone, except the general shape of the stone that is not at all uncommon, and a few wild imaginations.

That's the call I made earlier, pecking stone. What do you think about the last pic posted? It looks to fit the mold.
 
Sometimes I don't think you read the posts..LOL.
Not all discoidals are concave... there are conical ones like shown in the video with the link above "Mr. Tallfeather" is on the video.. there are biscuit discoidals that I posted examples of.. there is the clay ones that you posted .......all not concave. ????

I have never really thought my pieces were discoidals they are no larger than a quarter. Just called them game pieces. I rarely have time to read thoroughly. Only read on quick breaks at work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom