Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in SW Pennsylvania I find a lot of Spanish Silver (75 since 1990). I find a lot of cut Spanish Silver (20 since 1990). I don't find a lot of cobs. I have only found three in that time, and they are all 2 reales, which is a little odd since the vast majority of cobs found on inland sites are 1/2 or 1 reals. Here are the three I've found:

Three Cobs - Front.jpg

Three Cobs - Back.jpg

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are lovely coins. Theres something very enigmatic about those cobs, a big slice of history there. Found four over the years here in England. Also had a couple of milled pieces too.

Great coins, could we see some of the milled as well?
Thanks for the nice comments. Here is the latest picture of my Spanish. This was taken a few years ago and I have found 10 more since.
Spanish All - 1.JPG

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
What a wonderful collection! I too wonder how so many Spanish silver coins came to be lost in southern Pennsylvania? Any idea?
I am in an area where colonists fleeing the Revolutionary War settled. I have found 3 Spanish coins in about 20 years of detecting, two 1 real and one 1/2 real. I find mostly British halfpenny coppers, about as many as you have found silvers. Perhaps the people who moved here used less silver than those who remained in colonies like Pennsylvania?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wonderful collection! I too wonder how so many Spanish silver coins came to be lost in southern Pennsylvania? Any idea?
I am in an area where colonists fleeing the Revolutionary War settled. I have found 3 Spanish coins in about 20 years of detecting, two 1 real and one 1/2 real. I find mostly British halfpenny coppers, about as many as you have found silvers. Perhaps the people who moved here used less silver than those who remained in colonies like Pennsylvania?
Thanks Almy. A lot of these were found along early travel routes at taverns and military encampments. Travelers had to carry cash to support them along their journey. That's my theory.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff, Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to me too. My finds have come from homesteads, not gathering or travel routes. That may help explain the difference. Almy

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to me too. My finds have come from homesteads, not gathering or travel routes. That may help explain the difference. Almy
Who's Jeff :dontknow::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions