What's new

tinkle cone

canoeguy45887

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
42
Reaction score
78
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found metal detecting field by river, was Identified as a "tinkle cone" worn by native americans on their clothes in the "what is it" thread, this river runs through the middle of an old indian village,

t.webpu.webp
 
Upvote 0
tumblr_mkq570xpnr1s77baxo1_500.webp​

"Hattie Tom
Studio portrait of delegate Hattie Tom, a Chiricahua Apache girl, wearing a beaded hide dress with metal cone tinklers, beaded necklaces and earrings. Photographed at the U.S. Indian Congress of the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition in Omaha, 1898." Frank Rinehart

_6975811204.jpg
 
thanks for the pictures, the last native americans in this area were removed in 1832, thanks again
 
Hello canoeguy, what 'area' might you be referring to- just curious? Do you paddle? and I don't mean the better half :laughing7: just a little canoe humor. HH yelnif

thanks for the pictures, the last native americans in this area were removed in 1832, thanks again
 
hello yelnif, the area i am referring to is in nw ohio specifically , Auglaize county, been paddling for nearly 35 years, the canoe in your profile pic looks to be and old town, maybe a discovery ??
 
Last edited:
Nice find! You sure that isn't a metal arrowhead? Just a thought.
 
I've been wanting to open this thread all day to see what a tinkle cone was.Great picture Surf.
 
I've been wanting to open this thread all day to see what a tinkle cone was.Great picture Surf.

what were you thinking it might be?
 
Like Ga rebel said it could be a tinkle cone or a point, they did wrap copper around shafts for points. It's a cool artifact:icon_thumleft:
 
Canoe guy, I would hit that area hard with my metal detector. Dig all signals including iron, you might be surprised. I would also detect in the area where you found the gun flints. Congratulations on your find.
 
Canoe guy, I would hit that area hard with my metal detector. Dig all signals including iron, you might be surprised. I would also detect in the area where you found the gun flints. Congratulations on your find.

I second that!
 
If you are detecting off a creek or river make sure you detect a greater distance back from the waters edge. In the U.P. of Michigan they detect the swampy area before the waters edge. A few hundred years ago it was all water and the waters edge would be farther away from where it is at now. I spoke with a guy who has over two hundred copper artifacts found in the swamps heading towards the waters edge.
 
that is an old type copper 'bangle' for a dress used in the jingle dress dance
we find a few of these every year at the site we surface hunt
Tnmountains helped me get a MD that helps me find these old bangles

here is the modern day version and the modern bangles are made from lids for snuff cans
this dance is at sisseton sioux-oyate nation in sisseton, SD (oyate (o-yah-tay) means 'the people')
my wife is a registered member of this nation

 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom