Todays Finds :: 05/26/06

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Finds :: 05/26/06

I hunted about 10 yards today. The finds were few and far between. The most promising yard was about a quarter acre and the house was built in 1850. I was hoping for some goodies out there! I quickly found out that it was mostly fill dirt around it because I was getting memorials at about 6" deep. Blah to that! I did manage to squeak out a 1919 or 1918 Mercury Dime that is very well worn, as you can see in the picture! I also got a ring in that yard as well. Then at all of the other houses combined all I could get was 4 wheats (20, 23, 42, 48), a virgin mary pendant, a broken junk ring, 2 buckles, and a 1941 Quarter. The quarter and 3 of the wheats came out the final houses yard that was built in 1930 and they were all a good 8" deep. I also found that thing in the bottom right of the picture. Does anyone know what it might be? There is nothing on the inside that could make it screw on to anything, and it came out of the ground shiny. It is also heavy as a brick for its size and it appears to be gold. Is there anything I can do to test it? One side of it reads "KR2005" It was deep at that first yard and rang up in the pull tab range. I am going to assume that it is just brass. I also got the usual pile of clad as well.

05-26-06.JPG

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's Finds :: 05/26/06

WoW! Ten yards! You must be one tired hunter!

...you did good! Congrats on your finds!

;)

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nana40 said:
WoW! Ten yards! You must be one tired hunter!

...you did good! Congrats on your finds!

;)

Haha, it sounds like more than it really was! Most of the yards had about 15 feet of road frontage and the houses were only 10 feet from the road, so there wasn't a lot of ground to cover. Plus I use a 15" coil, so if a yard isn't producing it is usually covered in about 15min or less.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

BSCO, Very Nice Haul, Congrats. If The Bottom Right Item Is Not Threaded, It Can't Be A Nut, I Don't Have A Clue. trk5capt...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That thing under the buckle with a hole in the middle is a snap for an ammo belt used by the military. I've never seen one of the old canteen covers that didn't have one. I'd say you did pretty well, not treasure but very interesting items never the less. Monty

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
That thing under the buckle with a hole in the middle is a snap for an ammo belt used by the military. I've never seen one of the old canteen covers that didn't have one. I'd say you did pretty well, not treasure but very interesting items never the less. Monty

Thanks for the info on that ammo belt snap.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another nice haul! Congrats on the finds!

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004

The item is a carbide insert for machining metal parts. it is coated with titainium. They are very heavy for the size. Cladius.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cladius said:
The item is a carbide insert for machining metal parts. it is coated with titainium. They are very heavy for the size. Cladius.

Thanks for the info!

Goldringer

May 6, 2006
Earth

The square thing at the bottom right is a carbide tool bit insert. It is used on a lathe, vertical mill or milling cutter to cut metal.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Those finds are very respectable. You just had your expectations too high. You search those yards good enough? The yard with the fill dirt I would search more on the outer portions - maybe not as much fill dirt there.

Mirage

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

looks like you had a good day

HH
-GC

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Those finds are very respectable. You just had your expectations too high. You search those yards good enough? The yard with the fill dirt I would search more on the outer portions - maybe not as much fill dirt there.

Mirage

Yeah, I searched some of the yards twice, haha. Most of them are tiny tiny tiny and don't take too long to get every signal out of the ground.

The yard with the fill dirt is surrounded by a falling apart metal fence, so you can't really get close enough to it to hunt it.

S

shamhawks

nice finds. I know they are popular, but i found the exact same virgin mary pendant today as well ;D

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Very nice, Bsco!

You've got me looking at all these yards around here where I'm going to ask to hunt. ;)

When I was a kid and was just getting started in this hobby my buddy and I used to ride our bikes around Yakima, WA and asked to hunt house after house. We did find a lot of goodies that way, but over the years for some reason I've just fallen out of the habit of asking to hunt yards. I think part of it was that I got pretty good at finding coins where others missed them on public property. But like I said, now you've got me thinking I need to get back to those yards again.....

Grats again!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlw67 said:
Very nice, Bsco!

You've got me looking at all these yards around here where I'm going to ask to hunt. ;)

When I was a kid and was just getting started in this hobby my buddy and I used to ride our bikes around Yakima, WA and asked to hunt house after house. We did find a lot of goodies that way, but over the years for some reason I've just fallen out of the habit of asking to hunt yards. I think part of it was that I got pretty good at finding coins where others missed them on public property. But like I said, now you've got me thinking I need to get back to those yards again.....

Grats again!

Oh yes, get back to those yards! It only takes one yard to make your year! I found my first two (and only two) barber dimes recently because I hunted an old house yard. They are certainly hit or miss though!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

They are certainly hit or miss though!

Yeah I remember that sometimes we would get into a yard that just looked dreamy, and....nothing. Other times it would look like a plain old newer boring teeny yard and then it would be full of barbers and indians--go figger. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread