Tom and Perrys Gol Bag??

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009
Tom and Perry's Gol Bag??

Hey Ya'll
I joined The GPAA not to long ago and you can order their gold bag for a discount when you join.
So, I did. Now the question is, " How do I get the gold out?" It is Blonde sand, not Black. It is so fine that I don't know what to do. I am new to this Hobbie and would like some help. I thought I would atleast get a small picker out of it, just joining and all. But to no avail I have nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated or ideas.
Thank you in advance,
Bang

Upvote 0

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
Re: Tom and Perry's Gol Bag??

Recovery of fine gold using mercury works to some degree, but it isn't foolproof, it isn't particularily safe, and it absolutely is not necessary. If you make the gold the heaviest thing in the pan, it will practically jump out of the gangue.

The problem comes when you have 100 mesh gold in the pan with 50 mesh gangue, the gold will get pushed out because it isn't the heaviest thing in the pan. Get some transition screens such as the new 70 mesh stackable screens available new this year. Get some finer screens to get the smaller gold.

Check out this site: http://www.nextstepmining.com

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010

Please! Lets put a stop to this mercury nonsense fight now!

Responsible prospectors do not use mercury to extract gold! They REMOVE mercury from the waterways, and dispose of it safely!

Enviros watch these prospecting forums, and use this mercury thing against us!

Shake n Flake

Jun 3, 2010
Midtown Sac

Mercury, nitric acid, and cyanide leaching are all legitimate methods for gold extraction, and all are completely safe when used properly. In the hands of idiots, any of them can kill or pollute the environment. While we need to warn everyone about the dangers, we can't prohibit its use by everyone because of its misuse by a small minority. It's the same argument used against gun ownership, and it's just as specious here.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

That is not the same argument at all. Have you heard of Summitville, CO?
They might take my chems but never my firepower. Why do you need them
where you prospect? Is it not free-milling ore?

golddust77

Jul 5, 2010
Southern Indiana

Yes indeed listen to these guys about the danger of mercuy.one sniff of mecury vapor will send you 6 feet under no trip to hospitol or a time awaited recovery. DEAD .. retorts are just an accedent waiting to happin some guys are just lucky enough not to be killed by vapors I know how to use and store and reclaim gold from mercury and im still scared of it so my advice is stear clear man. be safe and be smart. thanks

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre

golddust77 said:
Yes indeed listen to these guys about the danger of mercuy.one sniff of mecury vapor will send you 6 feet under no trip to hospitol or a time awaited recovery. DEAD .. retorts are just an accedent waiting to happin some guys are just lucky enough not to be killed by vapors I know how to use and store and reclaim gold from mercury and im still scared of it so my advice is stear clear man. be safe and be smart. thanks

i could not of said it any better..... HH

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There IS gold in that paydirt... not close, though, to what you would expect at first. Buy yourself many more and you will see the wisdom in going for your own. Their bottom line is at the CASHREGISTER, not the paydirt. All in all, you ARE sidestepping the trial and error method for what to look for. They hand pick and weight the amounts that go into each bag so you can probably stop worrying about losing "flour". As mentioned above, pan the cons into another pan to assure you do not lose any. You will see the chunks. The reason you have only "blond" sand is they WANT you to succeed, not worry about all the other JUNK you will learn about on the stream. The pan to use will best be the "finishing" pan. The bag has already lost the reason (the junk) that you would need bigger pans. A finisher is usually 10" diameter with a bottom of 2 1/2". It may or may not have 1 or 2 riffles. After slopping much of the sand into a recovery system, turn the riffles away, if it has any, and "push" the pan into the water JUST ENOUGH to allow 3 or 4 drops to hit the remaining sand. In the stream, this sand will be black sand. As the SMALL amounts of water causes the sand to dribble away, what you will see is gold! Good Luck. When you're ready for the stream, call me. I will show/take you to spots I can GAURANTEE gold. TTC

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Bango...

I've been involved in mining since the late 1960's... and your question and stated frustration sent me back my early days... the problem of removing very fine flower gold from sands has been a problem for mankind since gold was discovered so many centuries ago..

My suggestion is to use the sample for what it is... a sample with real gold in it.. use it to LEARN how to pan... if after many, many, many, many attempts, you begin to see success in recovering the gold from this sample.. you'll now almost be able to pan any material from nearly anywhere....

I wish there was a simple answer to your question, but there really isn't....until you graduate beyond a simple pan for recovery... even then, the pan becomes the last piece of equipment you'll use to recover some of the gold...

I would recommend panning your sample over and over again and again... saving all your sand each time... and pratice more and more.... plus watch some videos... go to outings and talk with experienced miners and prospectors...I was fortunate, living in gold country in California at the time...and old timer showed me how to pan gold... the right way... it still took me a while to really get the hang of it...

Sizing the gold and associated dead sands are a real key to successful panning... in the beginning it may do you good to purchase some really, really small small screens (400 or 600 or more mesh)and screen your sample a few times... and then pan each sized material separately, rather than all at once... one you get the hang of panning each of these screened and sized material... then you can the do it all together....

You'll find that everyone has there own method or way of panning...and you will develop your own as well... all methods have several basic common things that make a successful panner...

One of the hardest things to get out of your head is how much gold am I loosing... you'll soon find, that if some basic steps are taken during panning, you will loose very little gold, even the really small stuff... but it takes practice, practice, practice and more practice....it sometimes takes years to get over that fear of loosing gold when panning... it is hard to believe that gold so small you can hardly see will stay in the pan when rocks and sand pebbles much larger will float out of the pan...

Once you start working with black sands, be sure to purchase a good quality panning magnet and learn how to properly use it.. it will save you hours and hours of trying to remove gold from black sands... usually the sands have a lot of material sensitive to a magnet in them... by removing the magnetic sensitive sand, you greatly reduce the material you are working with as well and it becomes so much more easier to pan with similar sized material...

Go to some of the GPAA gold shows or trade shows when in your area...there they have seminars of all kinds and usually have some classes on panning... plus like othesr have said.. just practice and practice some more..experiment some and learn what works for you and what doesn't.... I hold my pan usually much different that others... and often only use one hand once I get past the initial separation of the larger junk in the pan... learn how to "walk" a rock out of the pan... learn how to wipe out some of the dead sands....learn how to walk the to gold up hill in your pan by taping on it... and so much more...

Once you have panned and panned and panned and begin to see more gold than sand... keep panning.. keep SLOWLY removing a few grains of sand each time..and soon, you'll be able to use a sucker bottle to get the gold out of the pan.... but it takes lots of time and patience...lots and lots of patience.... and then

practice...practice... practice...and I wish you lots of good luck...you are embarking on one of the greatest hobbies..or in my case business, the world has to offer...

By all means at this time..PLEASE stay away from the use of chemicals to remove the gold...

Klondike...

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you heat up you sand to high temperatures for at least 2 or more minutes once it is hot say around 400 degrees then pour it off into cold water this fractures the gold from the sands and you will end up with more gold and lots of flour gold they call it it is way safer than mercury... :icon_thumright: Got that info from Prospecting and mining journal

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

If you order a small bag of Felix's Gourmet Gold from Fairbanks, Alaska you
will get a fair amount of mixed pickers and fine gold and no black sand to
separate because his concentrate comes from working lode gold mines.
Also, instead of wasting time swirling water around and around, vigorously
whack the edge of the pan with the heel of your hand all through the process.
to get the gold on the bottom. Once it is there it won't get out unless you
make it get out. Gold panning is more dipping and pulling back to remove
the light stuff than using two hands swirling. I pan with my right hand only
and use the left to tap the pan.
OK say you're down to four tablespoons of sand. Now you swirl the light stuff
away from the gold and use a plastic sucker tube to get most of the larger
pieces into a glass or plastic jar almost filled with water. Now you can watch
the sand left go over the riffles while gently going left and right with the pan
UNDER water into another large pan below.
Felix's cons have lots of tiny pinhead gold and even though gold is heavier you
can't get all of the extra heavy particles of minerals out while panning. When
I get down to that stuff and gold (which is easy to see) put fresh water in and
set the pan on a stable table in a shady spot. Then use the sucker tube to 'blow' the junk away from the gold particles. This is the time consuming part
because the hundreds of particles will mix in with the gold. Just take the time
to separate it out and fill your gold bottle with gold only. The one once little
bottles will hold one once of gold and the junk you didn't get rid of will show
up like a sore thumb.
Buyers can look at your once bottles and tell it is clean and worth the weight.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BangTango,
You've received lots of good advice about how to pan and what to do with your purchased concentrates. You've also gotten some inputs on chemicals and mercury both pros and cons and now I will add my 2 cents worth. I personally would not work with any of the chemicals or the mercury as they are dangerous by themselves and without being taught by an expert on the safe use of these items well, I enjoy being with my great grandson and would like to be able to do that for several more years so I do not mess with these dangerous items and I would suggest you learn to pan and then go out and find your own bags of concentrates to pan your gold from.
I've played at prospecting for several years and first and foremost I LOVE being "out there", secondly I LOVE to fish, third I LOVE to share this with my children and fourth I enjoy prospecting, actually the kids come before the fishing but the fishing is close. If you are in an area where gold has been found before then you should be able to find flour gold just by understanding where to look for it, like on the down river side of boulders. The boulders do not have to be in the river that is, not right in the water. Try the boulders where its dry as when the rivers floods those boulders that are now dry were UNDER water. There is just Tons of information on the internet about HOW TO PROSPECT with simple tools like a pan and a bucket so spend time looking for it. Type in beginner gold panning and see what you get. Look for the article by a fellow from Oregon and you will learn a lot from his tutorial on panning/prospecting.
Attached is a picture of some gold I found last year I started by using a small folding shovel, a 1/4" mesh sifter and a gold pan. Before I started digging, now listen carefully for the secret, I LOOKED at the river and decided to dig on the down river side of a large boulder that was in the spring flood plain but was now on dry ground. The boulder was about the size of a VW Beetle and there were lots of smaller rocks on the down river side of the main boulder. Before this I've made it really hard on myself by trying to find the "perfect spot" but I did not really look around to actually see what was right in front of me. Sorting out the raw materials IS an important first step and I've played with a variety of home made sifters. Go to a Wall Mart or a Bed Bath & Beyond store or an office supply store (look in their prospecting area though they will call it "drawer organizers"). Check out the ones made of expanded metal and buy one then take it out and sift dirt with it, done. Lots of simple items do a great job for prospecting tools, just slow down and think about what "things" can be used for, I believe it is called "thinking out of the box".

Remember to be safe!! You want all of your fingers and toes when you come home to mama and the children and you want to be able to come back home so do not allow a large boulder you've been digging under fall on you.

Oh, do not forget to have fun as that is a very important factor! 63bkpkr

The sifters: round one is home made with 1/4" mesh pop rivited into an old style tuna fish can, square one to the right is a "drawer organizer", triangular one in the back is the "grizzly" I bought with my Batpan (Batpan.com).

Attachments

• 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,245
  • 184_8464.JPG
    184_8464.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,221
  • 184_8464.JPG
    184_8464.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,215

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

i do it a table spoon at a time and do it dry i pick out what i can see and put in a vile and save the sand to pan it wet when i have one of my senior club members to help me out and felix paydirt is not a gold mining co thet are a gravel company the gold is a by product for them that is what i was told by some more exprienced club members

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

That's got to be some of the most expensive gravel in the world. :laughing7:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SO GLAD TO SEE THE COOLER HEADS PREVAIL...
I GOTTA ADMIT MY BLOOD RAN COLD WHEN IS READ THE ADVICE TO USE MERCURY.
MERCURY SHOULD BE TAKEN AS SERIOUSLY AS A LOADED CANNON! NOT TO BE HANDLED BY ANY BEGINER WITH OUT MANY DAYS OF HARD TRAINING.

AS RECREATIONAL PROSPECTORS, WE NEED TO SHOW GREAT EFFORT IN CLEANING LOOSE MERCURY FROM OUR STREAMS AND RIVERS. WE DON'T GET ANY CREDIT FOR OUR EFFORTS TO CLEAN UP THE ENVIRONMENT THAT WE TAKE SO SERIOUSLY. WE MUST FIGHT FOR OUR LEGAL RIGHT TO PROSPECT, AND WE GET BLAMED FOR 150 YEARS OF CARELESS POLUTING, LEFT BEHIND BY THE OLD TIMERS.

PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW IGNORANCE OF OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO DISTROY OUR ACCESS TO PROSPECT AND ENJOY NATURE. DON'T LET THESE FORUMS BE USED AGAINST US.

MORE EMPORTANTLY, THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SMALL GOLD TO BE WORTH DIEING FOR IN ANY BAG OF DIRT.

BE SAFE AND HAPPY HUNTING...
PROSPECTORMIKEL

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

Gaijun1 said:
So IS Buying Paydirt A Good Deal Or Is It On The Loseing End Of The Bargain ?
this is the very expensive way to get gold!!! its much cheaper to buy your own gold and add it to your consentrates tobe more applicable to the type of panning you need to learn. panning bags are a novelty for beginers ,and i guess they are ok for them. but it does not give you the same effect as with your own cons. Terry has nailed it with his answer!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Paydirt is also good for those unable to get to gold country - disabled, old and feeble, living in Florida, ....who have a bit o the fever.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bedrock bubba said:
Please! Lets put a stop to this mercury nonsense fight now!

Responsible prospectors do not use mercury to extract gold! They REMOVE mercury from the waterways, and dispose of it safely!

Enviros watch these prospecting forums, and use this mercury thing against us!

:notworthy:THANK YOU!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread