Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out late today just before sunset. Only managed to dig one bottle from the clay, but it was well worth it!
20230304_173424.jpg

Here is the bottle in situ and immediately after extraction:
20230304_195411.jpg

Screenshot_20230304-195539_Video Player.jpg

20230304_162908.jpg

20230304_201443.jpg

The clay preserved it very well for over 100 years. That's the trade off for digging in clay, the bottles are usually well preserved but the digging is slow and arduous. There was alot of wood in the hole as well as well as the lower jaw bone of some sort of large animal, likely a cow or horse.

Here is the bottom of the bottle, it shows the initials "H. A." in a diamond. If anyone knows what this abbreviation means please feel free to share.
20230304_201515.jpg

Upvote 45

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I blew your image up . I think it is V R ALSO I would NEVER VOTE AGAINST Red Coat LOL

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pretty find :) I would not even venture a guess how many bottles i have passe3d up in all my years of detecting. Why do you think that bottle was left there ? Was the site a dumping place ? Or did it possibly wash down from some place else ? Still nice find :)
Thanks for sharing

Well much of NYC's coastal areas are built on landfill. So I went through municipal records until I found the oldest documented landfill I could find. In this case one that was capped in 1910 to build a local street.

Because this street has never been extended since 1910 all the ground under it still dates to the time of that landfill. What's better is that the street is flanked by the ocean so the edges of the landfill have been exposed by erosion. Now the secret is simply digging in this general area. The finds here all date to 1910 at latest, the oldest find I pulled positively dated to 1876, which corresponds to the municipal records precisely.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. That's much clearer. Definitely H.A. (with stops).

My fault for only posting the wet image. I checked several online glass abbreviation sources and none seem to have this one on record, online at least. Maybe there's a book out there with better references.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well much of NYC's coastal areas are built on landfill. So I went through municipal records until I found the oldest documented landfill I could find. In this case one that was capped in 1910 to build a local street.

Because this street has never been extended since 1910 all the ground under it still dates to the time of that landfill. What's better is that the street is flanked by the ocean so the edges of the landfill have been exposed by erosion. Now the secret is simply digging in this general area. The finds here all date to 1910 at latest, the oldest find I pulled positively dated to 1876, which corresponds to the municipal records precisely.
Thanks Underminer :) Keep up your good work

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out late today just before sunset. Only managed to dig one bottle from the clay, but it was well worth it!
View attachment 2072576

View attachment 2072574

View attachment 2072577

View attachment 2072578

View attachment 2072573

The clay preserved it very well for over 100 years. That's the trade off for digging in clay, the bottles are usually well preserved but the digging is slow and arduous. There was alot of wood in the hole as well as well as the lower jaw bone of some sort of large animal, likely a cow or horse.

Here is the bottom of the bottle, it shows the initials "H. A." in a diamond. If anyone knows what this abbreviation means please feel free to share.
View attachment 2072575
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bottle is a stunner, congrats!
Perhaps the HA is for Hagerty bros. as it looks like there's only one stop, after the A, and they were a known maker for this type of bottle. Just a thought.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
View attachment 2072576

View attachment 2072574

View attachment 2072577

View attachment 2072578

View attachment 2072573

View attachment 2072575
Incredible find! Congrats

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the first thing about bottle digging, but your cobalt bottle is beautiful! Did you have to do much to clean it up? What a stunning piece.
Thanks. This bottle cleaned up with just a quick dunk into a nearby puddle. Bottles from this particular clay deposit come out just as clear and clean as they went in 110+ years ago. This is not common however, bottles I dig in most other locations are often very dirty and need to be cleaned with a copper scrubber to get them this clean (copper doesn't leave scratches). Bottles dug from clay generally don't have surface abrasions compared to bottles dug from sand or pulled from the ocean, so I prefer digging in the clay, but digging in clay is alot more laborious.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. How do you know it's a poison bottle?
We can tell it's a poison by the lattice and diamond pattern embosed over the surface. This raised pattern was not a decoration but a way to convey the contents was harmful to people reaching blindly in the dark for it.

People didn't have electricity back then, for the most part, and candles didn't provide much light for them to distinguish poison bottles from similar sized medicine bottles at night or in a dark place. So the pattern was a quick way to both see and feel that the bottle was different from the others. This is also partly why the bottle is blue in color, simply to make it more distinctive compared to other bottles.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2072576

View attachment 2072574

View attachment 2072577

View attachment 2072578

View attachment 2072573

View attachment 2072575
Wow thats a nice find!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

good research underminer! I am re-learning the art of probing, looking for 'cap clay' layers and looking for the toss pile if the privy was 'dipped'...you got a whole landfill busting the cap awesome man getting into the BIM stuff is always exciting...good luck hopefully a historic flask or rare bitters in there for ya!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can tell it's a poison by the lattice and diamond pattern embosed over the surface. This raised pattern was not a decoration but a way to convey the contents was harmful to people reaching blindly in the dark for it.

People didn't have electricity back then, for the most part, and candles didn't provide much light for them to distinguish poison bottles from similar sized medicine bottles at night or in a dark place. So the pattern was a quick way to both see and feel that the bottle was different from the others. This is also partly why the bottle is blue in color, simply to make it more distinctive compared to other bottles.
Thanks for the education!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions