Tossing another idea out there for you guys to run with

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are some that are interested in dredging in Nome and have the experience and motivation, but not the money, you might try this idea.

Work up a mining plan, gather a prospective team, investigate costs of leasing or purchasing a claim and equipment.

Add 30% to your top estimate of total costs.

Start a funding campaign on Kickstarter with the final overestimated estimate as your funding goal.

The rewards? Funders will get a small vial of Nome gold (cheap to ship) after a successful season, plus they will get access to a 24 hour live feed camera on both the dredge boat and a camera with a diver's eye view. Work the cost of wireless internet into the estimate. If Nome does not have a cell tower, then perhaps some sort of packet radio to a land line.

I'll help if anyone wants to pursue this and actually has some experience.

Upvote 0

Ace2010

Sep 22, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in with the motivation part. Definately don't have the money.Have dredging and diving experience in rivers but the berring sea is a whole different animal than diving anywhere else.
Are bucketline dredges outlawed up there? Just wondering why nobody has a 300 foot bucketline running 24 hour shifts with 2 crews getting 5000 ounces a day out of the sea up there?
These dredgers are not spending time dredging deep in the same place up there.They are just dredging the top layer of paystreak. There is several pay layers deeper down. That is probably why the christine rose does so much better.I'm assuming they are digging a little deeper into a different paystreak.

OP
OP
F

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, it was just an idea MadMarshall. I didn't charge for it and it didn't cost you a lot to read it :-)

It probably isn't million dollar advice. I would guess the most you would be able to get on Kickstarter is $100,000 to $150,000 which may not even be enough to make a venture like this worthwhile. I think the live 24 hour feed would be the clincher to get a lot of sponsers who are probably arm chair gold miners like me.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I will leave the realm of ideas to you then Sir, and Ill put my stock in men of action not intentions!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But truthfully I honestly thought this was a prospecting forum where one got advice and tips on prospecting.. Was I mistaken?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the right start. I'm going to speak from a practical aspect, not an emotional one, so please take this for what it's worth and at the end I have alternateideas for getting the same thing for a lot less in the lower 48. I would think to undertake such an expedition, (getting gold out of the water) it would take at least 1 year to plan. It's not just getting to Alaska and getting a dredge in the water. Investors will not be happy with a video feed and a small vial of gold. I can see gold panning on Youtube and get panning dirt for $20 bucks off the net. So somebody has to go to Alaska at least twice, contact the state and get required permits and a site to dredge, if one is available. the plane tickets will probably run a couple thousand each trip, lodging is hard in Nome, very few places to stay. Weather is terrible. Prices on everything are a lot higher in Alaska than the lower 48. Throw in legal fees to get it right. You've spent $50k before you get in the water. So a small vial of gold won't cut it. Investors will want contracts. First place I'd start is checking prices, airlines, motels, etc. local ordinances. State regulations. Those reality tv shows are a dime a dozen and they are full of it. If you want an eye opener, look at a satellite image of Nome.

Now for the good news. For a most excellent adventure, depending on where you are in the country, check out known gold areas in either the Appalachian or Rocky mountain chains. It may be feasible to team up with someone who owns gold bearing property and strike a deal with them. I think it would have a lot better chance of happening than better on Alaka. There are a lot of gold bearing properties not being mined that are privately owned. Research, research and start making contacts. Your investment goes down to $10k or maybe less, depending on the scope you want. Even a "visit" should net you a vial of gold.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that this forum is starting to be taken over by a bunch of cynical, bitter, crabby people who have nothing better to do than attack someone (especially new forum members) who just want to share their ideas and try to contribute to the community. Fermion had no ill intention that I could see. He was not asking for any contributions. Why he was attacked is childish and so jr. high. There are idea people who have the ideas but not the tallent to impliment them and there are those who have the knowhow and talent. Like the guy who can design a building but doesn't know how to construct it. STOP THE CRITISIZING! If you can't contribute then shut the F%*K UP!

B H Prospector

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems to me that this forum is starting to be taken over by a bunch of cynical, bitter, crabby people who have nothing better to do than attack someone

B H Prospector

Cabin fever can do strange things to people, but when you add Gold fever to the cabin fever it can get ugly.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace2010 - Did you see where the Christine Rose got shut down by DNR due to turbidity? I'm guessing there must be a reg. that limits depth of holes/and or
excessive turbidity that would be caused by bucket line dredges.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Fullpan

I thought they were shut down because the area they were mining is right at the mouth of a river, DNR was concerned that turbidity would bother the salmon run, so they shut them down for 30 days. If you are going to do this, it should have been done in the offseason. JHHO

Ace2010

Sep 22, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ace2010 - Did you see where the Christine Rose got shut down by DNR due to turbidity? I'm guessing there must be a reg. that limits depth of holes/and or
excessive turbidity that would be caused by bucket line dredges.

No, I missed the last show.I had seen the advertisement or read somewhere that something shut them down.I just figured it was more drama and they would be back on the water the next day.Also seems like I read or was told by someone I know up there that it was because they were working to close to the mouth of the river.
The Pomrenkes are always talking about being broke on the show but I just don't see how they could be.Maybe one of them will come on the board and explain that one to me.I know its expensive up there and cost alot to run that barge but they got over a million dollars worth last year on the show and I was told that was a bad season for them.Was told they got over 3 million worth the season before they started filming.
Don't understand how turbelance on the water could possible be as bad from their backhoe, clean out, washplant compared to the rough seas they have there.I guess it makes about as much since as our dredges here in the river muddying up the water compared to what a good rain does.:icon_scratch::BangHead:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the show showed a helicoper shot from about 500 ft above them at the mouth of the river, and there was the DREADED SILT PLUME! Turbidity by
humans BAD - turbidity by nature, ok. Go figure.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that this forum is starting to be taken over by a bunch of cynical, bitter, crabby people who have nothing better to do than attack someone (especially new forum members) who just want to share their ideas and try to contribute to the community. Fermion had no ill intention that I could see. He was not asking for any contributions. Why he was attacked is childish and so jr. high. There are idea people who have the ideas but not the tallent to impliment them and there are those who have the knowhow and talent. Like the guy who can design a building but doesn't know how to construct it. STOP THE CRITISIZING! If you can't contribute then shut the F%*K UP!

B H Prospector
I don't know of this is the right time to put this idea out. It seems there's a very critical atmosphere right now.
Let's face it the less creative have always been jealous of the more creative.
Here's a little idea that I've had for a while. And remember the difference between crazy and eccentric is about $20 million. I guess that makes me crazy.
I'm not sure I can make this whole thing out of used bicycle parts though.
I haven't started building one yet, I still have to find a good source of plutonium. I know a class C is a kind of like a giant box of air, but the radiation shielding should create a lot of ballast so you can drive in and out of the water. Bucket line Coach. Dredge.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure your idea would work because a class C chassis isn't rated for that type of load.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am aware of that I am often wrong in the way I word my thoughts but It seems to me that for a forum with the title of "prospecting" thats what it would be about but instead all I ever hear about it is bamazon and crackpot ideas that have nothing to do with prospecting!! And as I have met some very committed and helpfull individuals it seems to me that most here are more interested in talking about reality t.v and crackpot schemes.. I'm interested in true experiances and practical information on propspecting. IS that too much to ask for a prospecting forum"? Maybe we can ask to add a forum we can call it "miners imagination" or even "Crackpot scemes" but truthfully I have no interest in these ideas or even hearing about them!! I've tried to start threads that I hoped to have some practicle value but the truth is people are much more interested in talking about gold shows even after they just wasted an hour of their life watching it. For example look at the Sticky thread startded by hefty1 California miner needs help after USFS employee steals his property from claim started in april around 22,000 veiws now lets look at the thread Gold Rush - Alaska - The Motherload started by ben cartwrightsass started at the end of october just under 28,000 veiws and I'm crazy!!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether you are sluicing, dredging, drywashing, or just a weekend gold panner, this is YOUR forum! Talk about your favorite rivers/lakes, equipment, techniques, and anything else related to prospecting for gold. The ORIGINAL gold dredging, sluicing, drywashing and panning forum!.....> ( And anything else related to prospecting for gold)<

There are also specific sections pertaining to types of Gold prospecting. You may also ignore and not post in threads that do not interest you. And as always no forum jumping start your own thread and keep it civil.
HH

OP
OP
F

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we all already know the best/cheapest way to find gold (that being you get a regular job and buy the gold from apmex), I think it would be refreshing to hear about other ideas that could possibly finance the prospecting hobby.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since we all already know the best/cheapest way to find gold (that being you get a regular job and buy the gold from apmex), I think it would be refreshing to hear about other ideas that could possibly finance the prospecting hobby.

Crazy I don't understand how it's cheaper and easier to get gold by getting a regular job and buying it? My exspense run about 50-70 bucks a week in gas and the tools I happen to break in that week wich may add up to 10-20 bucks a week and on a bad week prospecting I my come up with 5 grams and my best weeks as high as 18 grams all of it sold and not taxed.so please sir explain to me this thinking? Personally sir I would find it refrehing to hear about your own experiances in prospecting/mining. Hell! Ill even settle for a story about you putting one of your schemmes into action? Thats to say your not just full of wind?

OP
OP
F

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a good week is around maybe 10 grams? Sold to a refiner at 90% of spot, that would be about $500? Subtract out $60 for gas and tools and you have $440?
It is not bad, I do like the idea of being your own boss and living close to nature.

But...a software engineer can make guaranteed $5000/week. Subtract out gas for commuting, taxes, packed lunch, clothes, and you still have $3500 a week. Log onto Apmex, send them a check for $1720 and they will mail you a one ounce gold Canadian Maple coin. If you can live on the remaining $1780 each week, you will have some nice treasure after a few years.

As for straight up mining, I do not have a lot of experience. I have a Letrap sluice and some pans, and have started building a highbanker with a 12V 2000gph pump powered from Lipo batteries. I think I have found a total of 5 grams in about 2 years. That came mostly from mossing and crevicing.

Now what is more fun? Software engineering or gold mining? I would have to say gold mining.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am aware of that I am often wrong in the way I word my thoughts but It seems to me that for a forum with the title of "prospecting" thats what it would be about but instead all I ever hear about it is bamazon and crackpot ideas that have nothing to do with prospecting!! And as I have met some very committed and helpfull individuals it seems to me that most here are more interested in talking about reality t.v and crackpot schemes.. I'm interested in true experiances and practical information on propspecting. IS that too much to ask for a prospecting forum"? Maybe we can ask to add a forum we can call it "miners imagination" or even "Crackpot scemes" but truthfully I have no interest in these ideas or even hearing about them!! I've tried to start threads that I hoped to have some practicle value but the truth is people are much more interested in talking about gold shows even after they just wasted an hour of their life watching it. For example look at the Sticky thread startded by hefty1 California miner needs help after USFS employee steals his property from claim started in april around 22,000 veiws now lets look at the thread Gold Rush - Alaska - The Motherload started by ben cartwrightsass started at the end of october just under 28,000 veiws and I'm crazy!!!!!

You're right MadMarshall, I should've posted my bucket line idea on the dredging thread. I admit I am guilty of thread content indiscretion.
I'm not sure how, but I should be punished.
But compared to a standard bucket line dredge it could be considered a small prospecting bucket line dredge.
So will you forgive me?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread