✅ SOLVED Ulster Defence Regiment pin?

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I got this is a box lot from a local auction. It was quite the mix of stuff. This pin, slightly larger than a nickel has a flat tab on the back with a hole through it for mounting. It is currently mounted on the brass plate. The design looks almost exactly like the emblem of the Ulster Defence Regiment, but this faces to the right and the Ulster one faces to the left. Any ideas?

Pin-scaled.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When badges are not symmetrical, those worn in pairs (collar insignia for example) usually come with the design mirror-imaged for the left and right sides of the uniform.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like that may be the case with this. I did manage to find a site that offered the right-facing collar pin, but holy cow, the face on it is ugly.

ulster-defence-regiment-fr-with-queen-elizabeths-crown-anodised-staybrite-collar-badge.jpg

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While not 100% positive it might be a Civilian decoration based on a Military badge.

This style badge when worn on the uniform is typically a hat badge. I didn't find any that are listed as collar brass or pin. Did find some referred to as lapel pins and they all faced left.

Typically in the military, certain officer ranks can have a right and left version. But military badges are typically only one way example wings, unit patches etc. This "Might" not always be the case with foreign militaries, but.........

Again just my opinion based on having been associated with the military since birth.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While not 100% positive it might be a Civilian decoration based on a Military badge...

Typically in the military, certain officer ranks can have a right and left version. But military badges are typically only one way example wings, unit patches etc. This "Might" not always be the case with foreign militaries, but.........

It's pretty normal over here, and not just on "Royal Irish" military insignia:

Collar1.jpg Collar2.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have added that the Ulster Defence Regiment only existed between 1970 and 1992. Although they used this insignia, yours has what’s known as the ‘Tudor’ crown which is only seen on insignia between 1902-1952. So, it’s not a UDR badge.

Prior to that the insignia was used by the Royal Ulster Rifles (known as the Royal Irish Rifles up until 1921).

That's assuming it's British of course, but it may not be. The Irish Regiment of Canada used the same insignia. They were founded in 1915, but the same dating applies to the style of the crown. It wasn't used after 1952.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Super. Thanks for the information. Like I said, this was a very mixed up lot of items but there were other military style pins, medals and challenge coins but that is the only non US thing that I know of. In fact, going back it looks like there are a couple pins missing that were in the auction pictures. Have to do some more looking.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It's pretty normal over here, and not just on "Royal Irish" military insignia:

View attachment 1883920 View attachment 1883921

I stand corrected, thank you for the education Red-Coat. For me it's weird that the UK would mirror image a unit insignia, it's something we don't do in the US Military in my experience.

I know enough to know I don't know enough, and the more I learn, the more I learn I need to learn more.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread