UNBELIEVABLE FIND LOOK AT THE 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Unbelievable that is the first thing that came to mind when I found out my field has been mowed...I have been waiting for this moment for months...Driving by every day!!! Well today I got the call...It has been MOWED!!!! No way I said.....Yes way dude....I am on my way!!! And that is how it all started. I met my buddy John at the field and we decided to work around the area we parked. I usually park 100 feet further up the road so I had never hit this area....My first signal.....And what a signal........Now anyone who uses a Whites XLT knows if you get a +89 signal that does not waiver....You dig very carefully....I took my time pinpointing this target....5" deep....Well After getting down 5 inches I was still hitting a strong+89......Oh boy....I am telling you people....I had goosebumps....I still do....But there was a problem.....My target was not in the center of the hole like my trusty Whites XLT told me....Nor was it 5"s deep...It was on the side of the hole...at a HALF inch!!!! OMG I scratched it.....Poor John....He must have thought I was insane...I was running across the field on a dead run.....Screaming punch me in the face...I ruined it....What he was thinking......Until I opened my hand.... And there it was.............OMG A 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF DOLLAR!!!! Well let me tell you....I am not sure IF I scratched her or if she was hit by the plow...All I know is she was hit....A HEART BREAKING thing...I almost puked on the spot...I hope this does kill the value....I also found this button...It has a girl scout type symbol with GS on the top an some type of bird in the symbol....And this worn big time...coppa. My buddy found a 1787 NJ copper in very nice shape....I would tell you more but I really want to post this....I must go puke now...sigh... ;D

Attachments

• draped.jpg
    draped.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 6,676
  • backdraped.jpg
    backdraped.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6,952
  • edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,262
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 6,214
  • coppa.jpg
    coppa.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6,173
Upvote 1
Nice, Very nice

Attachments

• nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 487
  • nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 470
  • nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 481
I've never broken the 1900 mark...I'm 41 and have been detecting since I got my first detector, which I had to BEG for, when I was in 4th grade for my birthday in 1973....It was from Sears and now that I think about it, I wish I knew where it was...I'll ask my mom. That's a find of a lifetime my friend....Keep at it and good luck....

Thanks again guys for the comments...I thought I would post a pic of the corner where I shat myself...

Attachments

• locations.jpg
    locations.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 471
Captn_SE said:
...PS - outraged, check out the pic of the rev. of a flowing hair that's being sold on ebay for around $2000. I'm looking at the "A" on STATES on your coin, and I think yours may be of this variety. Easily recognizable as O-113 (R.3) as the word STETES was originally cut in error then recut as STATES; the serifs of the E are plainly visible behind the A.

I just saw this post from Captn_SE. Is this true?!?! I can't tell from the pic, but if it's true, it's time to get it professionally cleaned, graded and slabbed, no matter how beat up it is...and forget about the dancehall in Castleton. You gotta show me this field!

Wow! :o Just crazy. The NJ copper is great too but the flowing hair half is just a little better. ;) ;D

You and old Grube are stealing the show here on TNET. You guys are in your own league.

It's very encouraging to see that these sites are out there - even if they are in NY. This is what keeps me motivated....that sense of the next site being a great one. All you need is one good site and it will produce for many many hunts.

Bob

So did you pick a random farm field, or is there some history behind it? I want to go out today and find one, as I live in Kentucky and there are PLENTY around me. Please let me know AND GREAT FIND on the 1795 really makes me wanna get out!!

Well, what can you say Outraged. How many of those do you see posted here? Thats one in a million find! What is the history on the field? What made you want to hunt there? Again, congrats on one he-- of a find! HH
Coinman66

coinman66 said:
Well, what can you say Outraged. How many of those do you see posted here? Thats one in a million find! What is the history on the field? What made you want to hunt there? Again, congrats on one he-- of a find! HH
Coinman66
We found this field from old maps that show 2 homes on it. The field is 19 acres. I guess from what I can tell there used to be a road running right through the middle of the field. Keep in mind this is not a fresh site. We have been hammering this site for 4 or so years. It has produced over 200 coins including 8 spanish silvers and my 1795...Also if memory serves me right a few mercs...It just goes to show you....Every year hit those old sites....You never know what the frost has turned up. I hit this site early this year and found 8 large pennies. The interesting part is this field has not been tilled since we hunted it the first time. It is slated to be tilled in september according to the farmer. I can assure you I will be on vacation that week....I will hunt by moonlight if I have to....Thanks guys for all your replies....You guys make a great experience even greater!!!

Well I can't think of much else to add that hasn't already been said..but a find like this deserves a small tribute..

Outraged found a flowing hair, he really did no jive
A big fat silver slab of coin, a seventeen ninety five,

He waited months for them to mow, then hunted like a pro,
It rang up as an 89, which must be good you know,

It seemed to be 5 inches down, but that was not the case,
If any closer to the top, she could slap him in the face.

He thought at first a dollar, but looking closer he made out,
It was "only" half a dollar, a rare find still no doubt ,

But with all his care, it seemed to him , he still did cause a nick,
And the thought that he did do this, really made him sick,

Well if he did, it’s over now, a great find none the less,
And even with the damage, his pants he still did mess,

It made the banner where it belongs, almost as good as it can get,
But in awhile I’m sure we’ll see, in the best of Treasure Net,

Outraged found a flowing hair, as pretty as can be,
Congrats to him and all the best, just wish that it was me.

Copperhead said:
Well I can't think of much else to add that hasn't already been said..but a find like this deserves a small tribute..

Outraged found a flowing hair, he really did no jive
A big fat silver slab of coin, a seventeen ninety five,

He waited months for them to mow, then hunted like a pro,
It rang up as an 89, which must be good you know,

It seemed to be 5 inches down, but that was not the case,
If any closer to the top, she could slap him in the face.

He thought at first a dollar, but looking closer he made out,
It was "only" half a dollar, a rare find still no doubt ,

But with all his care, it seemed to him , he still did cause a nick,
And the thought that he did do this, really made him sick,

Well if he did, it’s over now, a great find none the less,
And even with the damage, his pants he still did mess,

It made the banner where it belongs, almost as good as it can get,
But in awhile I’m sure we’ll see, in the best of Treasure Net,

Outraged found a flowing hair, as pretty as can be,
Congrats to him and all the best, just wish that it was me.
Copper...That is great...You made me laugh my a$$ off....You have talent!!! Thanks for the best comment that has been left!!!

Outstanding!!! I would be happier with what you found than finding several common date gold coins. I don't think they even have a club for flowing hair bust! ??? Maybe you can start one. Congrats again.

Re: UNBELIEVABLE FIND UNBELIEVABLE DAY LOOK AT THE FLOWING HAIR!!!

KirkPA said:
Oh, I forgot, you swing one of the best detectors on the market: WHITE'S!

I dont never think I ever saw no one who swung a Minelab find a wilver Flowing! NO WAY!

*Just pulling your strings Minelabers! :-* :D

Yeah, you may have found two with a Minelab!!! ;D

Who cares if you scratched it, nice coin!!! :o

MonkeyBoy said:
WOW... freaking... WOW!! 1/2".. that's just not right!!! ;-)

You ARE keeping that??? right???

Great digging!!!!!
I planned on keeping it....However I guess for the right price anything is for sale...Besides....There is more where that came from... :-X ;D 8)

I hope you don't sell her. $500 is not much...considering that she will be the only one you will find.

Make us proud...keep her! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back