What's new

UNBELIEVABLE FIND LOOK AT THE 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF!!!

outraged

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2007
Messages
531
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Unbelievable that is the first thing that came to mind when I found out my field has been mowed...I have been waiting for this moment for months...Driving by every day!!! Well today I got the call...It has been MOWED!!!! No way I said.....Yes way dude....I am on my way!!! And that is how it all started. I met my buddy John at the field and we decided to work around the area we parked. I usually park 100 feet further up the road so I had never hit this area....My first signal.....And what a signal........Now anyone who uses a Whites XLT knows if you get a +89 signal that does not waiver....You dig very carefully....I took my time pinpointing this target....5" deep....Well After getting down 5 inches I was still hitting a strong+89......Oh boy....I am telling you people....I had goosebumps....I still do....But there was a problem.....My target was not in the center of the hole like my trusty Whites XLT told me....Nor was it 5"s deep...It was on the side of the hole...at a HALF inch!!!! OMG I scratched it.....Poor John....He must have thought I was insane...I was running across the field on a dead run.....Screaming punch me in the face...I ruined it....What he was thinking......Until I opened my hand.... And there it was.............OMG A 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF DOLLAR!!!! Well let me tell you....I am not sure IF I scratched her or if she was hit by the plow...All I know is she was hit....A HEART BREAKING thing...I almost puked on the spot...I hope this does kill the value....I also found this button...It has a girl scout type symbol with GS on the top an some type of bird in the symbol....And this worn big time...coppa. My buddy found a 1787 NJ copper in very nice shape....I would tell you more but I really want to post this....I must go puke now...sigh... ;D
 

Attachments

  • draped.webp
    draped.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 6,763
  • backdraped.webp
    backdraped.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 7,010
  • edge.webp
    edge.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 6,319
  • button.webp
    button.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 6,264
  • coppa.webp
    coppa.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 6,230
Upvote 2
WOW you guys know how to make some feel good.....Guys thank you so much for your replies. I am so happy with this find I can not even express it in words. I honestly hope you all find coins like this just to feel the amount of butterflies that occur when you realize what it is. I still do not believe it. Not much more I can say....As soon as I picked it up this morning when I woke up...I got goose bumps yet again....I will be at this here in a little bit. Thanks again everyone!!!
 
Captn_SE said:
Congratulations, Outraged, for finding the best silver coin I have ever seen posted... :o The hairs on my arms are standing just looking at that pic. Can't imagine how you feel. Yes, no sleep for you tonight. Maybe you should go and camp out at that field of yours... ;D

Scratch or no scratch, that is a beauty for sure. To think I felt bad today when I nicked the three mercs I found, because of the hard soil conditions. Hey, if you think you scratched it or not, it happens to the best of us. If the area around the coin had been plowed up, the scratch most likely would have happened at the time of the plowing.

Not very many people today can say they found one of those coins. Yes, I'd say it's definitely a find of a lifetime.

The prices "DigginItUp" posted for you are for Early Dollars, not Halves. Per PCGS, here's the prices for the Early Halves:

G F EF AU 60 62 63
1795 750 2250 11500 25000 36000 50000 70000 115000 175000 -
1795/1795 Recut Date, 3 Leaves 2500 4500 16500 30000 45000 - - - - -
1795 Small Head 900 3000 13500 30000 38000 57500 - - - -
1795/1795 Recut Date, 2 Leaves 1000^ 4000^ 13500 - - - - -

Congrats, again, bud.
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan


PS - outraged, check out the pic of the rev. of a flowing hair that's being sold on ebay for around $2000. I'm looking at the "A" on STATES on your coin, and I think yours may be of this variety. Easily recognizable as O-113 (R.3) as the word STETES was originally cut in error then recut as STATES; the serifs of the E are plainly visible behind the A.
You are right....I see the E plain as day. What do this style have for value?
 
Absolutely awesome find. It has more detail than the one that sold on e-bay.

You're in a club all by yourself.


I do see the stetes over stamp on the back. Way cool.

HH
Ken
 
Nice one - well done!
 
Out - freakin - standing !! :o :o I hope it turns out to be a O - 113 (R - 3) !!

CONGRADULATIONS !!!!!!!! Outraged
 
I don't think anyone can compete on here anymore! hahaha

Flowing Hair! FLOWING Hair! FLOWING HAIR!

Just like Zeus stated, "I am happy for you."
 
That is one great find. Way to go. Congratulations. I can't wait until I find my first flowing hair half, that is if there are any left to find ;D :D ;D :D. I bet you are still on cloud nine. Keep up the great work.
 
Most outstanding!! Plow struck or something else. No digger, so, you can stop puking now. I admire all northerners in the fact that there are so many more places, to hunt there, that will produce those kinds of results. My oldest coin to date is an 1883 Indian Head in mucho fine condition. It was a stroke of luck and will probably never be duplicated by me.

You on the other hand have a buffet before you. We might have to install speed bumps to slow you down. Don't want you getting it all in one day :) Good luck out there!!!!

Beautiful coin by the way. Those are the kinds of finds that keep me motivated!!
 
Sweet!! This spot may have a few "Once in a lifetime" finds and any good signal might be dug carefully. Now on your "trusty Whites" did you recheck the hole?? It might be a "DUH" question, but what if there happened to be another "good" signal there?? I'm sure you probably did, but who knows what happens when you have a great find, then the frustration of thinking you "ric'd" it. So maybe recheck the hole a day later if you haven't. I know when I had my XLT, I felt it was good at pinpointing, not perfect mind you, but good!! Anyways, thanks for sharing that pic, great find, but great shot of our past too!!
 
Regardless of condition, that is one of the coolest finds ever! Anybody would freak pulling that out of the ground!
 
Wow!!!, that is an awesome find, Congrats!!!
That's a coin I haven't even seen in person yet... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~
 
Congrats on a super find, not too often early silver of any type is found and this one is a goodie.

Capt_ Se (Dan) is correct on the attribution, I went to an auction site and looked at quite a few of the O-113a that sold in recent years, this one is similar in wear condition to yours, however, the slight rim damage, scratches and what looks like pit corrosion, which happens in old silver will take a great VF-35 coin down a bit on net grade I am afraid.

O-113a, R.4. A rough broken patch between the date and star 15 is diagnostic of the obverse. On the reverse, the A in STATES was cut over an E, and there are nine berries on each branch. This later die state also displays a faint die crack joining most of the letters in LIBERTY at the top, as well as rough breaks or defects between stars 12 and 14.

When I see coins like this I go to my catalogs for comparisons for ID help, condition, price.
I have found the Heritage Auction website to be very helpful in attributing coins I do not have books for for ID'ing the different varieties. LOL< the 1795 Half Dollar has 30 some varieties, and price can vary greatly based on variety, more so than condition.

Again, GREAT FIND!!!!

Don in South Jersey
 

Attachments

  • 1795reduced.webp
    1795reduced.webp
    131 KB · Views: 4,764
Once again, you frickin' rock, bud!

Here is what I am singing right now:

 
unbelievable is right. congrats.
 

LMAO! Outraged, I hope you are finding more ooooold wilver at this moment!

I hope you aren't selling her! You won't be able to replace that one. :)
 
sorry, i can't post my reaction on this family forum ::)

That is one sweet coin!!!!!!!!!!
 
Fantastic post and find :) This is what dreams are made of , a treasure just waiting for one HH to come and pic it up from the field ;D Your post is an inspiring one :) It makes me want to go out in the 98% heat and try again ;) Blessings your way outraged > keep the flowing hair ones coming :)
 
Stunning...simply stunning Outraged.

Haven't seen that nice of an old US silver since the 1776 Continental Dollar that was W&E's find of the year a while back.

Congrats of the highest order!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom