What's new

undecided (need help with this guys)

natch.

Banned
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
81
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I found this a few mo.s back.
when I first found it. I was sure it was a boat stone
but after a wile, I am not so sure anymore.
it seams a bit heavy at 4.6 oz.
and most boat stones , I seen have 2 tie downs .
one at each end. never seen one made like this.
it was found near a big spring.
now if its not a boat stone what is it?
thanks
natchitoches
MVC-102S_zps131241e6.jpg

MVC-101S_zpsb8a52153.jpg

MVC-100S_zps5633832c.jpg

MVC-097S_zps913128c4.jpg

MVC-096S_zpscb411af1.jpg

MVC-094S_zps5627ca49.jpg

MVC-093S_zps7c24fdd6.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Maybe some type of weight.
 
anymore idels guys?
 
I've never seen anything like it.. that I can recall. This is purely a guess but it seems to me if I wanted to make a wide groove in a controlled manner starting with a small incised line..then widening it from there would be the best way to turn out a quality grooved axe. Like I said purely a guess.
 
I say your first guess is the best choice , just varies from the norm a bit.
 
May be a loaf stone. Or a tie-on atl-atl weight. Cool find.
 
What's a boat stone?
 
Last edited:
In addition to what IlliniGuy provided, some people consider them markers for the Poverty Point culture. I'm not sure it's an exclusive indicator but I knew a guy who was very knowledgeable who thought the two were related.
 
Natch, how far from the spring was it? More in line of feet, or miles? I ask this because I found a mysterious stone directly by an old spring that had a groove near the same thickness of yours. The two pieces look nothing alike, but they are both heavy.
 
Haha.." I think I have one just like yours..but completely different!"
 
it was about a 100 feet or so, from a old spring.
found in a wash out area.down from the spring.
 
GatorBoy said:
Haha.." I think I have one just like yours..but completely different!"

Gator!! Now, that wasn't even paraphrased. I
said groove and heave are the only similarities. Lol! You'll do Gator.... But you won't do right! That sounds mean in reading. Lol
 
It looks very cool what ever it is. I look at allot of different sites in my spare time and I have to tell you I have never seen anything quite like the one you have found before. Maybe it just is a preform and never got finished. Either way it is a very nice find.
 
it takes years to find great sites to hunt.
I find the best ones are not near any roads or lakes because there just to easy to get to.
to pick over.
I like finding old sites at springs . or up in the hills , near creeks but in thick woods.
they are harder to find,but you can hunt them much longer.
where no one will find it.or see you.if you can find a few like this you can hunt them for years.
before anyone know where there at.or you lose them.(to houses,stores,"")
so it a good ideal to hunt points,and to hunt sites too.
if your places are not giving up anything good.
leave them to set for a few weeks.and use that time.
to hunt new places to hunt
look at Clovis site maps of your area.look for the dots near where you live.
at river and small stream maps .maps of know Indian sites.
mostly you can't hunt these.
but it can put you close to where other unknown camps are still at.
you get to pick what you want to find "kind of".
it you hunt only paleo sites,you will find more paleo points.
so pick your sites well. don't waste time.in places that don't pay off.
its better to move on and find the better sites.
also talk to the old people in your town.there just full of info.
on the places thay use to find artifacts.
lot of the storys, mite not pan out.
as time has change some things.but you can find a few great leads in the mix.
 
Last edited:
Truly a good statement nach. But where I live at you cant just go and do that. Most places here are either posted or it is illegal to go there because of the states laws. I am looking for other places but am asking for permission first. Thanks your the best. I am glad you decided to come back to this site. I also want to see that frame you have behind your unknown.
 
The cut does not look to have the same patina as the rest of the stone. You think maybe the stone is natural and they started a groove in it ?
 
That's where I was at with it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom