What's new

Uniform Decoration?

Shootncoin

Greenie
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this near the foundation of an old hotel near Albany, NY. It appears to be made of silver. The overall length is about 4.5 inches. The inscription reads "C N Kimpland". After researching, it appears there was a tug boat out of NYC around the turn of the century with the same name, owned by a Charles N Kimpland. He owned a dock building business during the Tammany Hall days. My question is: Does anyone know what this piece is, was it part of a uniform and who would have worn it.

I apologize about the size of the pictures - can't seem to shrink them down.
 

Attachments

  • P1010018 (2).webp
    P1010018 (2).webp
    78.1 KB · Views: 439
  • P1010020 (2).webp
    P1010020 (2).webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 444
  • P1010021 (2).webp
    P1010021 (2).webp
    90.7 KB · Views: 437
I'm actually the detecting buddy Skrimpy is talking about - I didn't know he posted anything about the site. These are the pictures of the find to which he is referring. It seems a little too delicate to hold up suspenders - not sure though.
 
Upvote 0
Shootncoin said:
I'm actually the detecting buddy Skrimpy is talking about - I didn't know he posted anything about the site. These are the pictures of the find to which he is referring. It seems a little too delicate to hold up suspenders - not sure though.

Interesting...
 
Upvote 0
Looks to me to be part of a womans garter belt to hold up
her stockings with. Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
jimbob450 said:
Looks to me to be part of a womans garter belt to hold up
her stockings with. Jimbob

I think you got it jimbob450 :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Not too sure it's from a garter belt. It seems too heavy duty to be designed to hold up stockings. And why would a garter belt piece be made of silver and be engraved with the name of a tug boat?
 
Upvote 0
Or garter belt for the old gent himself. Strainger things things
have been known to happen. Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
Wow - Thanks. I think you nailed it - although I won't completely rule out the garter possibility (hey, you never know).
Thanks again -
 
Upvote 0
Nice. I'll have to go back and read that thread. Don't remember, I don't think I was actually posting about that decoration...i think advice about getting at the well. Still have to figure out diggin that thing up. There's got to be stuff in there.
 
Upvote 0
Skrimpy said:
Nice. I'll have to go back and read that thread. Don't remember, I don't think I was actually posting about that decoration...i think advice about getting at the well. Still have to figure out diggin that thing up. There's got to be stuff in there.
I notice they were both found in Albany NY. Was it at the same hotel site?

MJ's link- http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=44875.0
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Skrimpy said:
Nice. I'll have to go back and read that thread. Don't remember, I don't think I was actually posting about that decoration...i think advice about getting at the well. Still have to figure out diggin that thing up. There's got to be stuff in there.
I notice they were both found in Albany NY. Was it at the same hotel site?

MJ's link- http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=44875.0

Thanks for the back-up Cy! I just realized the link was screwed up...
 
Upvote 0
Good stuff Shootn :thumbsup:

Resized.
 

Attachments

  • P1010018 (2)[1].webp
    P1010018 (2)[1].webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 204
  • P1010020 (2)[1].webp
    P1010020 (2)[1].webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0
Eathabs: Thanks for the re-size. I'm new to posting here, how did you re-size the picture so it wasn't rediculously big? I couldn't figure out how to do that.
Cy: It was found at the same hotel site that Skrimpy was talking about - Only one was found, but we're thinking of going back to find the other... I located the spot, Skrimpy got us the permission to detect it.
 
Upvote 0
Shootncoin said:
...It was found at the same hotel site that Skrimpy was talking about - Only one was found, but we're thinking of going back to find the other... I located the spot, Skrimpy got us the permission to detect it.

Especially at few hundred bucks a pair...plus there is some history with this one. It might make it worth significantly more. Tammany Hall, ship rescues on the Hudson and all. Find the other one and we might make the banner.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom