cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unknown find from 18th Century Homestead

Wow Aaron! Was that the thing you thought was a bird or something? Very cool! And you wanted an LC, LOL! nice find bud. I can give you a list of names with dates from the original settlers of the property, just let me know. Way to go!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RELICDUDE07 said:
Your right crusader that rust piece could fall out.And then only the brass left..I just like the rich green luster and the details oil brings out.. If you do clean it ,be careful not to scrub the area in the center to hard.This may help you if you find some more in the area..Goodluck at your spot.

It very closely resembles the 2nd black and white Anchor Chape shoe buckle on your illustration. Thanks for the info

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cam9457 said:
Wow Aaron! Was that the thing you thought was a bird or something? Very cool! And you wanted an LC, LOL! nice find bud. I can give you a list of names with dates from the original settlers of the property, just let me know. Way to go!

No the bird think cleaned up a little too. Not sure what it is either. The buckle is an exciting find for me but I'm still looking for that elusive LC.

If you have a list of names on the settlers of that property, I'd love to see them. Congrats on your 1816 Coronet!

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 411
  • bird back.jpg
    bird back.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

You may want to contact the owner of the buckle web page..It maybe all he has is a drawing of that style,and would love to use it, in his pictures.. Sometimes they make plaster molds and replicate them ,and then sale as modern colonial buckles......... Or you could make a mold yourself..

Upvote 0

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first "recorded" owner of the the home and property was in 1681. I don't want to give too much away but the man that built the first home there(there were also two additions in the following 100 years or so) was a Quaker from England. I guess Quakers were not doing too well in England at the time. He got ownership through a land grant from a well known Quaker in Philadelphia. The property changed hands quite a bit and the property saw many different uses, but it was most famous for the mills. The incredible part is that the current owner is a direct decendent of the original owner! Very nice woman and a good friend. We have to get back there ASAP! There is a lot more ground that I didn't even have a chance to show you last week. Let me know when you get a chance and we can head back over.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the rust is from the iron pin that once was in the center of it and was part of the buckle (the rust is all that remains of it )--to remove "the rust" is to lose what part remains of the iron pin that was part of it . while removing the rust might make it pretty -- it destroys the remains of the pin in the process. (just my 2 cents worth)

since its your item, its your call. to clean or not to clean? --

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cam9457 said:
The first "recorded" owner of the the home and property was in 1681. I don't want to give too much away but the man that built the first home there(there were also two additions in the following 100 years or so) was a Quaker from England. I guess Quakers were not doing too well in England at the time. He got ownership through a land grant from a well known Quaker in Philadelphia. The property changed hands quite a bit and the property saw many different uses, but it was most famous for the mills. The incredible part is that the current owner is a direct decendent of the original owner! Very nice woman and a good friend. We have to get back there ASAP! There is a lot more ground that I didn't even have a chance to show you last week. Let me know when you get a chance and we can head back over.

Awesome info... You are right, we have to get back there really soon.

Upvote 0

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I consider the lady to be a friend of mine so I've done a lot of research on the property for both her and myself. We really should not use any discrim next time because of all the iron in the area from the old barn we probably missed a lot just in the small area we covered. Next time your over I'll lend you the out of circulation book I have that has all the really old records and info in it. Whenever your ready just let me know

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Wow great find Aaron!!! Looks like a good site guys! congrats.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you should consider waxing the whole buckle, or at least seal the iron with something like a waterbased clear lacquer. You don't want to leave as is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
I think you should consider waxing the whole buckle, or at least seal the iron with something like a waterbased clear lacquer. You don't want to leave as is.

Where would I find a wax or clear lacquer? Any brands you might recommend?

Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Lacquer is a good idea.. Some of my relics from the 1700s i cleaned first ,i had to with these ,they were very crusty 1/2 inch thick on the keg spout..Then i put some lacquer from home depot on them.. Im not sure what ironpatch would use,he will be back and tell ya..Good luck

Attachments

• colonial relics.jpg
    colonial relics.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 310
  • colonial relics.jpg
    colonial relics.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah any hardware store, small can of water based satin finish clear lacquer. Brush on then quickly wipe with a lint free cloth. The buckle would be fine if it wasn't for the iron guts. If it was mine I think I would just seal the iron and at least check it once a year to make sure there's no new dry rust spots leeching into the brass (or pieces falling off) . Coating the entire buckle will change the look of the patina from dull to shiny. (obviously - but worth noting)

I tend to use the lacquer on pewter and wax on brass but your relic falls in a category I have not dealt with, Brass mixed with iron.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Yeah any hardware store, small can of water based satin finish clear lacquer. Brush on then quickly wipe with a lint free cloth. The buckle would be fine if it wasn't for the iron guts. If it was mine I think I would just seal the iron and at least check it once a year to make sure there's no new dry rust spots leeching into the brass (or pieces falling off) . Coating the entire buckle will change the look of the patina from dull to shiny. (obviously - but worth noting)

I tend to use the lacquer on pewter and wax on brass but your relic falls in a category I have not dealt with, Brass mixed with iron.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will try and seal it with a clear lacquer.

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find,, and it was taken home without knowledge of how significant a find it is. Great research and contributions by everyone. I would love to see pictures of the finished product.
Congratulations

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds and Continued Success to you in this area. It sounds like this property has had quite a Historical past. There is bound to be more relics out there. Go get em'.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread