Update on 1787 Connecticut Copper ***VERY RARE VARIETY WITH 13-20 KNOWN***

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Well, first off, I'm glad to say that we have gotten off of the skunk mobile, IP. :laughing9:

KKC (KirkKyleChris) got out to a new site on March 21 that I had researched. After I presented the research to Chris, he secured the permission like a champ. Our group is all about the team effort. One guy never does all of the work to get into a new vanished site.

The day started off with the usual buttons and Colonial dwelling relics. I ended the day with 14 buttons, the most I ever dug in one day.

Then, it happened, folks! BAM! 1839 Coronet cent! 15 minutes later, BAM! 1810 Classic Head half cent! 30 minutes later, BAM! King George III halfpenny! I was ecstatic at this point, as you will see in the attached video of my recoveries! 20 minutes later, BAM! 1801 Draped Bust large cent! I ended the day with probably my best condition copper so far! I filmed the recovery from start to end, and you will see my excitement when I saw the shape that it was in! My last copper, which was my 5th for the day, turned out to be a very nice 1787 Connecticut copper!

KKC ended the day with 10 coppers on Sunday! We will be swinging over the ground this Sunday, so stay tuned for more recoveries!

Here is the video of the coppers:

Here is an update on the variety of my Connecticut copper from a well-known expert:

Hi Kyle:
It came through loud and clear.
In my opinion you have a 1787 Miller 33.38-gg.1.
The diagnostics are great on the reverse. As you see, there is a large die crack through the D, through the stem of the laurel branch and into the figure's waist. That is diagnostic of a late die gg.1 state. Combined with that reverse there are only four obverses and only the 33.38 matches yours.

It is a very rare coin with an estimate 13 to 20 known as a high R-6. In recent auctions undamaged ones have sold in the $1000 vicinity.

Attachments

• Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 518
  • March Bonanza 018.JPG
    March Bonanza 018.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,803
  • March Bonanza 021.JPG
    March Bonanza 021.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 3,779
  • March Bonanza 023.JPG
    March Bonanza 023.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,775
  • March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,761
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 507
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 507
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the copper. :icon_thumright:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahhhhh, life is good indeed....congrats

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Five Variety Copper Bonanza *Video Included*

KylePA said:
Don in SJ said:
WTG guys, the Conn on this post is a Miller 33 series,which of course can drive one nutso trying to find the specific variety. The only one I found with a die crack like on yours is a Miller 33.2-5. Take a gander at the one on coinfacts and compare, since photos of grounders do not always show all the details needed for 100% ID, but fairly certain it is the Miller 33.2-5. (R1 Very Common)

I don't think I have had a place that easy to hunt in years, since farm fields that have not been hit in my immediate vicinity are far and few in-between, in other words, 90% forest here. LOL.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_c..._coppers/1787_ct_copper_miller_33.02_Z.05.htm

Don

Thank you for the variety ID, Don! I appreciate it!

I must not have been paying attention, because I now have poison ivy all over my body, including near my eyes. I'm on prednisone now. :help:

Bad news! The copper doesn't count because you failed the drug test for a banned substance/performance enhancing drug. ;D I'll have to confiscate the coin. 8)

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:
Don in SJ said:
WTG guys, the Conn on this post is a Miller 33 series,which of course can drive one nutso trying to find the specific variety. The only one I found with a die crack like on yours is a Miller 33.2-5. Take a gander at the one on coinfacts and compare, since photos of grounders do not always show all the details needed for 100% ID, but fairly certain it is the Miller 33.2-5. (R1 Very Common)

I don't think I have had a place that easy to hunt in years, since farm fields that have not been hit in my immediate vicinity are far and few in-between, in other words, 90% forest here. LOL.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_c..._coppers/1787_ct_copper_miller_33.02_Z.05.htm

Don

I must not have been paying attention, because I now have poison ivy all over my body, including near my eyes. I'm on prednisone now. :help:

Bad news! The copper doesn't count because you failed the drug test for a performance enhancing drug. ;D I'll have to confiscate the coin. 8)

254.4 :laughing9: Taking any injectables lately, IP? :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Bad news! The copper doesn't count because you failed the drug test for a performance enhancing drug. ;D I'll have to confiscate the coin. 8)

254.4 :laughing9: Taking any injectables lately, IP? :laughing9:

No, but if I get trounced in the Spring I might have to think about it. At least shoot my detector up! :laughing7:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep not much more to say that has not already been said! :headbang: But I'll add send this man to the BANNER! :D :notworthy: Vote Is Going in Now! :thumbsup:
You Guy's are HOT with the FINDS!
Take Care,
Pete! :hello:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle, that is great news on it being another variety than I thought, especially one that is quite a bit more scarce. I would not have gotten that result with the books I have, since they do not show that variety with the die crack, and the obverse I thought does have a die crack there. My book shows 17-32 known, guess you could up that by one now. :wink:

Don

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ride the BANNER train Buddy.
Excellent news.
Banner! Banner! Banner!

-Doug-

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Thank you all for the banner nominations. I know it is a banner find, even though it probably won't ever make it up top.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
Awesome day out !!! If i'm reading this right.. Banner is in order for sure ! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Thank you all for the banner nominations. I know it is a banner find, even though it probably won't ever make it up top.

Remember Folks, just saying "banner find" won't get it up on the banner where it desreves to be. You need to get your vote in and nominate it for banner.
The more votes the better.

I hope to see you up top riding the banner train soon.
My votes in you Colonial nut!!! :hello2:
-Doug-

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
KICK ARSE !!!! K'dude digs the rare Connecticut !

Sorry I'm not more enthused . Pretty bummed about recentevents
D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread