What's new

update on the barber i found yesterday

silvercop

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i took the 1892 barber half i found yesterday in a brinks box to a coin delaer today. his first words were "where did you get it?" when i told him out of a brinks box he shook his head in amazement. i told him i wanted his opinion on what the coin would grade and that i already had a grade in mind. i told him i wanted his honest opinion and not to worry about offending me. he put on his loop and looked at it for about 2 minutes and then offered to buy it from me. i told him i was not interested in selling it i just wanted to know what he thought the grade was. he said he thought that it would grade between MS65-MS67. that was a big surprise because i had guessed about AU50. he also liked the light toning around the top left side of the obverse.
he then offered to send it out monday to ANACS with some of the coins he was having graded if i would pay the grading fee. i agreed and he is going to ship out to them monday. he said i could expect it back around the first week in Jan. 2010 and that they had a 15 day turn around time not counting weekends and holidays., can't wait to see what it grades....
 
Upvote 0
i was wondering who was going to say that first LOL (buying a new camera). i have thought about it several times but i just don't want to go through the pain of loading new software and trying to figure it out. my old camera uses a disc and it is so easy just to put it in the drive and upload. guess i am just old school. go ahead i know all you tech geeks are laughing at me...... go ahead.... :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
no not a cd a disk like what replaced the floppy.
 
silvercop said:
no not a cd a disk like what replaced the floppy.


I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, but considering the CD came out in the mid to late 90's, I'm worried. How many megapixels is your camera?



-Paul
 
I am assuming he is using something that has a 3.5 inch floppy vs a 5.25 floppy. SC you gotta get yourself a new camera. :)
 
You don't know what a hard disk is?! Wow I'm getting old...
how about 8 tracks?, rotary phones?, black and white T.V.?, FM converters?
man now I feel old :-\ thanks for reminding me Cherry :tongue3:
 
SC, did you ever get the half back from ANACS and what was the grade?
 
i have not gotten it back in hand but it has been shipped. i will probably get it back later today or tomorrow. i did see the grade or the lack of on the website. PCGS said the coin had been cleaned so they did not assign it a grade. it was a big let down. the dealer said it did not look cleaned to him and it did not look cleaned to me either. he said that all the grading companies are HARD on the high dollar coins and he suggested to me that i crack it out and send it to NGC for a second opinion. i will think about it :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
 
silvercop said:
no not a cd a disk like what replaced the floppy.
Is your camera a big boxy Sony?
I wanted one of those real bad when they first came out.
Real good for the time.
 
mistergee said:
how about 8 tracks?,
8 track???
I am so old I had a 4 track (put out by Mad Man Muntz) in my 57 chevy convertible. (and no I do not still have it. and YES I wish I did)
 
How much does it cost to have a coin graded?
Nice find by the way!
 
if it comes back cleaned from ngc.. i would suggest toning it.. put in an old whitman or Wayte Raymond (famous type of old folder that tones). It may be possible the coin had been dipped and thus all the minor scratches show.. if it was naturally toned a bit (not monster toned).. it hides the scratches better .. and has a better chance of passing the submission. It might take a few years in the folders but it's worth it to get it in the PCGS holders for top dollar. Don't tone the coin with eggs or gas. This artificial toning will not be accepted and will devalue the coin. You'd have to dip again to get rid of it and you don't want to do that..

Just a thought.. I've never gotten a Barber before so I wish you luck.
 
I heard of a guy that they said a coin was cleaned, he broke it out put it in a brown paper bag for a couple weeks on the porch- sent it back and got it graded. HH Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom