What's new

US Mint bicentennial medal and some silver.

skierbob

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
954
Reaction score
91
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Detected a couple places today. Both spots were along side of old baseball fields. One was under a big old shade tree and the other was on the side of a steep hill. The first thing I found was a neat bicentennial medal from the Mint. I had bypassed it before because it was almost right on top of the ground and sounded like a beer can or something. This time I went for it and was pleasantly surprised. One side of the medal has a scene from the first day of production at the Mint. Martha Washington receives one of the new Half Dismes for inspection. (It was rumored that George and/or Martha had donated some silverware for this first production.) The other side of the medal shows a number of coins that the Mint has produced over the years.

I also found a little silver ring in this area. The ring has a strange shape, but it does say "sterling" inside. I also found a neat little charm with a baying wolf on it. It's marked .925.

On the hill I found a broken silver ring with a black stone on it. Must have been stepped on or hit with a lawn mower. In addition, I found a very nice 1918-s Mercury Dime on the hill. The dime was about 4 inches deep and the ring was right on top of the ground.


Here's the Mint medal: 0525fm 001.webp

0525fm 002.webp


The wolf charm or pendant:0525fm 003.webp



The little ring: 0525fm 005.webp


The broken ring: 0525fm 004.webp



And the Merc: 0525fm 007.webp

0525fm 008.webp


Thanks for looking.
 
Upvote 0
Very nice finds, A great Silver Day.
Happy Hunting
Kevin
 
Congratulations! Super-Silver finds. :thumbsup:
 
Good day for Silver, cool finds ...HH
 
Nice finds and good description of the Mint Token,
Congrats on the goodies!
This medal celebrates the United States Mint’s 200[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary.
The obverse of the medal features a rendition of John Ward Dunsmore’s painting “INSPECTING THE FIRST COINS” with the inscription “UNITED STATES MINT” centered along the top of the medal. The inscription “BICENTENNIAL 1792-1992” is centered along the bottom of the medal.
The reverse of the medal features a collage of popular U.S. coinage designs, from the first U.S. cent to the 1992 U.S. Olympic Gold Five-Dollar Coin.
 
Big congrats on the silver and neat medallion :thumbsup:
 
Great day hunting.:weee:
 
great finds. that merc is beautiful :headbang:
 
Nice finds. Unique medal!
 
Awesome finds man. Great day for you there
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom