Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used the V3 update on Cocoa Beach last evening to see how it performed...I wasn’t disappointed!

Let me begin by saying this wasn’t any kind of formalized test but merely initial impressions/observations based on my normal beach hunting routine. Any confirmation or dispute of what follows will naturally require more detailed testing.

My general take away was that ML did more than just add a 4 kHz option. V3 seemed to be more stable throughout the frequency spectrum. I could run my sensitivity up to 23 on the dry sand in Park 1 and the 800 was stable and quiet where previously 18-20 was about the limit. Even when I switched to Beach 2 in wet sand and surf, I could run the sensitivity up to about 19-20 with no problem.

My first find in Park 1 on the dry sand was a penny at about 12” deep with a hard unmistakable hit. In that regard, it seemed that the EQX was now sounding off with more authority than before when a target was detected. This was also my impression throughout the evening.

I ran an informal evaluation using my test sticks (a gold ring and a ferrous bolt) and it seemed to me that V3 in 4kHz was more sensitive to the recovery speed setting as it relates to detectable depth. The lower I set the recovery speed, the greater the detection depth. The higher I set it, the less sensitive it was to my ring and bolt buried at a constant depth. I realize this is the way the EQX always behaves but with V3, it seemed the depth/recovery speed relationship was more accentuated. Again, other environmental factors play a role in detection depth but this was just my impression of V3’s maiden voyage at the beach.

Admittedly, I was skeptical of the reason why ML provided a general update that focused on deep silver in Asia by adding a 4kHz option when we already had 5kHz. But after using this for a short beach hunt, I’m now convinced ML included more software capability in V3 than just that 4kHz frequency. It was more stable, less chattery throughout the frequency range, it hit harder than before and it was indeed hitting hard at a greater depth...or so it seemed to me as well as my hunting buddy who was also running V3.

All in all, I’m glad I installed the update!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you tell if the 4Kh was active in multi mode or only as a stand alone? I suspect that would be hard to determine.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Could you tell if the 4Kh was active in multi mode or only as a stand alone? I suspect that would be hard to determine.

I don’t know if there is a way for the average detectorist to determine that. I’m sure there’s a way but it’s far beyond my pay grade and technical capability. :dontknow:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know if there is a way for the average detectorist to determine that. I’m sure there’s a way but it’s far beyond my pay grade and technical capability. :dontknow:
I figured as much. I was just wondering if you thought it was finding items any better in multi. I normally hunt in multi so it would be a benefit if it did.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I figured as much. I was just wondering if you thought it was finding items any better in multi. I normally hunt in multi so it would be a benefit if it did.

Yes, it ran better than before in multi as well. It doesn't necessarily follow however that the 4kHz freq is included in the multi spectrum. As I said, I personally believe ML included additional software enhancements in V3 than just 4kHz.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it ran better than before in multi as well. It doesn't necessarily follow however that the 4kHz freq is included in the multi spectrum. As I said, I personally believe ML included additional software enhancements in V3 than just 4kHz.
They do say they improved stability in the update. I've sent ML an email asking the question. We'll see what they say.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't hold your breath waiting for any explanation from Minelab. They are always pretty closed mouth about what they do or don't do with their magic.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hold your breath waiting for any explanation from Minelab. They are always pretty closed mouth about what they do or don't do with their magic.
I'm hoping they do answer as it is just asking about a feature function, not how they achieved it.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the excellent report, Colonel! I appreciate your observations.

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I installed the 3.0 and straight to the park.
I was using the 6” coil.
It seamed my pin pointer was much better.
I also had some deep faint signals that the multi would not give an TID but when I switched to 4khz it locked on TID so seeing I couldn’t get the TDI to show in multi I‘m wondering if the 4khz is working in multi.
I’m wondering if others are having the same results.
So far I’m happy with 3.0.
Doug

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
A word of caution: The performance I saw at Cocoa Beach on 26 July may not be the performance you find on your beach.....beaches vary in characteristics significantly. I've found differences between Cocoa and Daytona and I've experienced differences in just a few hundred yards of the same beach!

As I always say, these were the results on this beach on this day in question. Your mileage will most likely vary but you should see some degree of improvement in performance nonetheless.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I installed the 3.0 and straight to the park.
I was using the 6” coil.
It seamed my pin pointer was much better.
I also had some deep faint signals that the multi would not give an TID but when I switched to 4khz it locked on TID so seeing I couldn’t get the TDI to show in multi I‘m wondering if the 4khz is working in multi.
I’m wondering if others are having the same results.
So far I’m happy with 3.0.
Doug
Thanks Doug.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m impressed with 3.0, pin pointing is much more accurate and it seemed to really hit nickels better

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that in multi mode or single 4khz?

I used multi mode, I’d switch over to 4 kHz when I hit a target in multi and got solid hits but for me multi mode is the way to go. It’s worth updating just to get the improved pin-point

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I used multi mode, I’d switch over to 4 kHz when I hit a target in multi and got solid hits but for me multi mode is the way to go. It’s worth updating just to get the improved pin-point
That’s exactly the results I have been having.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not everyone gets to see or hear from the GREAT Oz !!!!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I suspect they do that as an extra treat for the engineers who sit back quietly and read the forums and chuckle at all the speculation and claims for features the update had nothing to do with.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect they do that as an extra treat for the engineers who sit back quietly and read the forums and chuckle at all the speculation and claims for features the update had nothing to do with.
Hopefully they will hear something that they can produce for us. It's called market research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread