War of 1812 or Early 19th Century Artifact

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone please identify this item, brass with Pewter rivets and washers. Stamped scroll work. From a military site.

AB20A1EA-21A1-4D0F-9D85-3018A250BC05.jpeg

7317E6C2-060C-468E-B68F-7D876E9010CC.jpeg

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like decorative bands from the front of a Military Campaign Trunk or a Steamer Trunk (see pic). I'm not 100% sure though - still doing research.

Something like this maybe?
il_340x270.628549395_fm2q.jpg

Nice find!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They look like decorative bands from the front of a Military Campaign Trunk or a Steamer Trunk (see pic). I'm not 100% sure though - still doing research.

Something like this maybe?

Nice find!

I agree with your theory of these being 'strap decoration' of some type, but from what? :dontknow:
These two strips although they look similar are both of different designs.

Due to their relatively small size, I'm thinking they're possibly decoration from a book or small document box. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Upvote 0

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your theory of these being 'strap decoration' of some type, but from what? :dontknow:
These two strips although they look similar are both of different designs.

Due to their relatively small size, I'm thinking they're possibly decoration from a book or small document box. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Yes, I see now where the design is slightly different. Also, it appears that the straps are of different thickness.
DH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread