What's new

Wasnt going to post but started thinking

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
7,236
Golden Thread
2
Location
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't going to post but started thinking

I found these in the ocean the larger one i know is lead but the little one has me puzzled i've never seen lead encrusted like this i talked to a friend and he stated it could be a silver bar its about 3/4 inch thick about an 1 inch wide and about 3 long and weighs 8.6 ounces thanks for looking
kent
 

Attachments

  • lead 001.webp
    lead 001.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 221
  • lead 006.webp
    lead 006.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found these in the ocean the larger one i know is lead but the little one has me puzzled i've never seen lead encrusted like this i talked to a friend and he stated it could be a silver bar its about 3/4 inch thick about an 1 inch wide and about 3 long and weighs 8.6 ounces thanks for looking
kent

No pic.
 
oops
 
I'm interested to know this as well, the pics look intriguing- good luck! :icon_thumright:
 
If its silver your buying coffee . I hope it's I'd silver !
 
I would suggest electrolysis.
 
Looks like it is possible... but the bubble effect seems a little out of sorts...unless maybe it's been in a fire? Lead usually cuts like the way it shows in the picture from where you scraped it... If it were Silver, I am thinking that it would have scraped more that cut into the edge....One good thing it has going for it is, that it has a thick crust... never seen lead get a thick crust like that, sooooooo.... Hmmmmmm..... May be you have a nice little Silver Ingot? Just my 2 cents... I still want to see it, I can tell a lot better in person... Wishing you luck with that bar for sure...
 
A old silver ingot would usally have a good bit of lead still in it until being run threw a good refinery.
 
And why not post? You sure got us queryious?
 
Last edited:
Those look like lead bricks used by plumbers. I seen pallets of them on jobs, they get melted and poured onto cast iron pipes to seal the joints.
 
Interesting find..... acid test it. The blistering just looks like the metal was poured. BUT..... how does it cut with a knife? If it peals id say lead..... still looks like lead to me, like was mentioned for plumbing in the day.

Dew
 
You can send it to me and if its silver I will let you know how much i get for it!!! lol
 
A quick test for silver...I found out while cleaning old crudded silver coins....wet the bar sprinkle a bit of salt and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. If it's silver you will feel it getting hot very quickly. Don't burn yourself!
 
Try this if you think it is silver: Get an old pan and line with aluminum foil (the pan will not be ruined but best not to upset the wife,) add a pinch of salt, a quart of water, get it to a boil, and then add four tablespoons of baking soda. If it is silver then you will be able to watch the oxygen reduce right off the silver in tiny bubbles. Leave it in for about 15-30 minutes and then scrub under running faucet. Rub off the reduced crud, dry thoroughly, and then polish. If it is really oxidized you may have to do it 2-3 times to get it looking good. If you throw it in the water and bubbles don't start coming off the metal then you do not have silver.
 
looking at metric conversion charts a 10 oz bar of silver should measure about 3"x1 1/2"x3/4". so you're a tad light on the size factor.
 
I agree with DocBeav. I think it might be one of the sacrificial zinc bars used on larger boats.
 
But if its a zinc bar for a boat shouldnt there be holes in it where the bolts went threw?
 
But if its a zinc bar for a boat shouldnt there be holes in it where the bolts went threw?

Many of them do but, some do not (see second link in my post). Easy enough to drill your own holes to mount it as needed (or there may be brackets that they can fit/slide into. I don't own a boat and I'm no expert but 20 years in the Navy and working with numerous small craft has taught me some things!)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom